Beginner 700d and d5300

Yeah iv been looking on there and on digital rev aswell as ebay etc. I think I'll get the d7000 with a 70-300 first then pick up a shorter lens the month after. Probably the 17-50.

Has anyone used the sigma 17-50 or 17-70? If so how do you feel they compare to the tamron?

Or there is the options of getting a nikon 16-85mm used for less than 300 on ebay

I have had the the Sigma 17-50 (new) and 18-50 (sh) and to me the 18-50 perfromed better. I had bought the 17-50 from Amazon and sent it back as it was dissapointing (back focussing), I then bought the Tamron 28-75 as previously mentioned.

I havent had the Sigma 17-70 or Nikon 16-85. I believe the new Sigma 17-70 art? gets good reviews and it seems Sigma have upped their QC over the older model. you can also buy a USB dock for the lens for calibration.

The Nikon 16-85 gets good reviews and is also more versatile along with the Sigma 17-70 for that extra reach over the 17-50 or 18-55 lenses.

What you want to watch is you dont get to engulfed in looking at all these lenses and start confusing yourself, it's what I used to do. You need to go to a good camera shop with a good selection and have a play around with different bodies and lenses and see what you think is more suitable.

What I did initially was to buy the cheaper kit lenses with the body and then decide what your preferred shooting lengths are, then buy the faster better lenses. I had the Nikon 18-55 & 55-300 which I sold on ebay and then had a play around with the better lenses and settled on the Tamron 28-75 and 70-300mm. After looking at my images the 28mm starting lerngth was good for me as I rarely shot anything wider.

Last edited:
To be honest I think that's what I'm gonna do. Probably get the d7000 with the 18-105 or possibly the 18-140mm. As well as a zoom and then buy a faster lens in the future.

Yeah and it will save some money. And to be honest my level of photography won't really need the faster lenses yet I guess. Just thought would have been nice to just skip out the kit lens and take 'better' pictures without buying 2 lenses but may aswell do it the sensible way and work out what lens I need properly instead of just grabbing any as such

Thinking it's gonna be the 60d to be honest can get it with 18-55 is 2 and 55-250 is 2 for £579 or with the 18-135 for £609.

Tempted to get the dual lens bundle for now as I want the zoom then just upgrade when I need to not when I want to haha

Could get the nifty fifty or another prime aswell then

Well looks like I might be buying a 60d with 2700 shutter count, a canon 17-85mm and a canon 50mm aswell as a bag for £525. Hopefully get some pics on soon!

What would recommendations for a zoom be? Looking at the 70-200 f4L second hand to see if I can get at a good price but what else if not?

Well found one that's in my town as well which is 340 buyout on ebay. Hoping the old cash in hand might lower price but we will see

Last edited:
you got some pretty good advice early on which was to buy the camera (whichever one you decide on) with the kit lens and then as your skill and experience builds up - decide what lenses you need from their and build your collection.. but in the last two pages all you seem to have done is 'decide' what lenses you want (not necessarily need) - without even using the camera!! LOL!.. salesmen love people like you as you're obviously in a hurry to part with your cash. If you;re not careful you'll end up with kit you won't even use that much. ;)

Back