7d II or 80d

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
Bear in mind, I'm not in position to buy either this year, and I want to upgrade my lenses first, but I've decided not to go the route of FF and instead eventually upgrade my 600d for either of the above.

Whichever camera it would be would be purchased SH and looking on MPB I could get a lightly used 80d (sub 3,000 actuations) for around £800.

The same amount of money would get me a more heavily used 7d with around 15,000 and upwards.

I've had a look on camera comparison sites, including one which said the 80d is essentially a 6d with a smaller sensor, and it's a newer camera than the 7d - which may or may not get replaced next year.

Does anyone have either and did you look at the other option before buying?

What do you want to use it for?

The 7D has better autofocus, better frame rate, better build quality, better ergonomics, and dual card slots.
The 80D has better resolution, dual pixel AF, articulating touchscreen, size and weight.

Depends on what you want to use it for?
Wildlife or sports, the 7dmk2 would be a no brainer from them two. If you want something more all round then maybe the 80d would be better for you. Just a suggestion, you get 12months warranty if you go with WeX instead of 6 with MPB(I think).

Good to know about the warranty.

It would be more of an all-rounder.

Many of my shots are at parties or events so i’m looking for something with better low-light performance than the 600d.

I’m hoping better glass in combination with a body with with a greater dynamic range will help.

7d mk2. MPB overcharge in my opinion, I have seen 7d mk2 for £720 that would have been more like £850 in MPB but that's your choice

Both very capable. I have a 7DII, the missus has an 80D. I prefer the 7DII, better ergonomics, faster to use, but could live with an 80D. Nothing much in it for IQ.

hmmm I have used a 60d,70,and 80d, I sold my 80D to fund a 1d4 which lasted precisely 6 months ,I have also used a 7dmk2 so why then have I just bought another 80d to replace the broken 1d,is it because of the fast enough a/f ,the high iso ability ,manageable noise up to 6000 iso ,the touch screen ,which also swivels for low angle stuff or is it because I could buy a BRAND NEW one from H.DEW cameras with a 3 year u.k warranty for the huge sum of £689.00 no brainer don't even come into it ,ordered tues afternoon arrived fri morning by fed-ex ,and before the idiots jump in heres one from my first 80d ,and theres hundreds more on my Flickr stream to peruse .
milords I rest my case

the outpost by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

saying that owls are fairly slow ,but whimbrels by comparison are like bloody whippets as below LOL

on a whim by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Its a tough choice between these two, they both have slight advantages over the other.

80d would be the all rounder camera, but I think 7dii has better performance at high ISO so may be more useful for you.

The 7diii is rumoured to be announced in the new year. You may want to wait for that before making up your mind.

Its a tough choice between these two, they both have slight advantages over the other.

80d would be the all rounder camera, but I think 7dii has better performance at high ISO so may be more useful for you.

The 7diii is rumoured to be announced in the new year. You may want to wait for that before making up your mind.
The 7d mk3 is likely to be priced at £2k...

I was under the impression the 80D had slightly better high ISO performance (and dynamic range)
Yes apparently that is the case the 80 D has better high ISO
Although I've got a 550D and 7D mk 1 and mk 2 and looking at some pictures that I've had printed they all look amazing and I can't tell which camera was used for each shot
All shot at ISO 400 800 and 1600

Last edited:
A lot depends on use and which lenses are being used as well ,it’s the old story how deep are your pockets

what do you prefer between:
-a joystick to select af points
-a flipping screen

I would definitely go for the first option.
Also the button are along the edge of the body while on the 80d they are in the middle because of the flipping screen. I use to have a 70d, similar to the 80d and i hated the ergonomic. I'd rather not have a flip screen!

Imo Canons xxd range have always been aimed at being a capable all rounder the XD range more tailored to a specific type of photography and I think that is the case with these two. Obviously the 7 is a more sport/action type camera than the 80 but either will be perfectly ok for most photography needs.
Of course the 5d (3 and4) scuppers the first statement but so it should at its price.
I would buy which ever one felt better in my hands, for me that would be the 7 the 80 felt a bit too small and plastic.
My son has a 7 MK2 which I have played with and it's a fine camera, slightly more noisy than my 5 mk3.
Matt

Last edited:
If you are clumsy I think the 7DMKII is more accident resistant - which for me was a factor.

Back