80D or 90D

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

New to this forum and I would like to ask a pretty simple question.

First off, an amateur taking pictures for my own pleasure. I live in the centre of the French Alps and spend a lot of time in the mountains either at home or in Patagonia. I take mainly Landscape and nature photographs and a little wildlife.

I have a Canon 70D with a bunch of lenses, EF-S 10-22,15-85 and 60 macro and 70-200 f/4 and 300/4. On multi day trips, I generally take the 15-85 and the 70-200, weight is important. I would like to add a second body, perhaps a little newer but I don't want to spend a lot or change lenses really, I don't think I really need to.

So, the question is do I go for a 90D or would I be better getting an 80D while they are still around as there is a serious price difference. Will there be issues with a high resolution sensor and my EF-S lenses?

Many thanks for reading and any advice you may be willing to give.

High resolution sensor will not cause any issues to any lenses. If you increase the resolution of the sensor or the quality of the lens the overall resolution of the end result will go up. Obviously to maximize your resolution it's best to increase both i.e. your sensor's resolution and lens' quality. But increasing one or the other is still beneficial.

But how much benefit you get and if it's worth the money difference is really up to you to decide.

I don't know much about your EF-S lenses but the two EF telephoto lenses are quite good. I imagine they'd give you excellent results on the 90D.

You have obviously kept you gear for a while and if you plan on doing the same with the new body I suggest getting the best you can i.e. 90D.

Last edited:
As mentionned above three EF-S lenses, the two most used are the 15-85 and the 60. I did think about that scenario and getting a 6D or a 6D mark ii but that would mean changing both of these lenses. I thought that the 24-70/4 would be a replacement for both but I believe there are a lot of focus issues at the "macro" end.

I think the 90D would make absolutely no difference to your style of photography, so I'd save your cash and pick up an 80D body.

I didn't like my 90D, so much so I took it back for a refund.
Physically there is little difference between the 80 and the 90 but I found the 90D images full of noise even at relatively low ISO settings..

A high res sensor shows more noise than a lower res sensor but viewed at the same resolution (i.e. 90D files downsized), 90D will retain more details.

Take a look yourself - https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-review/5
Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 12.52.04.jpg

Looking at dynamic range both bodies perform the same -

So basically 90D retains the dynamic range and ISO performance of 80D but at a higher resolution. So at higher ISO you can actually downsize and retain more details with 90D than you would with 80D.

So, the question is do I go for a 90D or would I be better getting an 80D while they are still around as there is a serious price difference. Will there be issues with a high resolution sensor and my EF-S lenses?

Your EF-S lenses will be fine no matter if you go from a 70D to either an 80D or 90D.
I came back into photography with an 80D and I previously went from a 40D to a 50D.
If I remember correctly, there were reports of noise issues with the 50D but I never experienced this myself.
I also believe that the 80D was the first one to have more than 9 focal points?
Some people bang on about mexapixels only to have their photos in a lower resolution only to post them on social media or the likes of flickr rather than print them out.
I can't comment on the 90D as I know nothing about it but the question begs, what does it have over the 80D and is the price difference worh it?

Stick with the 70D, look at some of Paul Iddon's work with a 70 in the macro section, stunning ;)

Last edited:
Your EF-S lenses will be fine no matter if you go from a 70D to either an 80D or 90D.
I came back into photography with an 80D and I previously went from a 40D to a 50D.
If I remember correctly, there were reports of noise issues with the 50D but I never experienced this myself.
I also believe that the 80D was the first one to have more than 9 focal points?
Some people bang on about mexapixels only to have their photos in a lower resolution only to post them on social media or the likes of flickr rather than print them out.
I can't comment on the 90D as I know nothing about it but the question begs, what does it have over the 80D and is the price difference worh it?

Exactly. We're at the point of diminishing returns in sensor technology now, and to be honest the 90Ds 32.5MP sensor is pushing it a bit at APS-C size. I've never looked at the images from my 80D and thought I need more megapixels. But I never thought I needed more than 10MP from my old 40D either. I'd absolutely love a manufacturer to release a 12MP sensor but with modern technology. The images would be amazing but unfortunately marketing means people think more MP = better

Sorry to be back again but being very indecisive :rolleyes:
Have just had a thought, what about if I bring the M6 mk ii into the equation.
Will work with all my lenses with an adapter and if I get a couple of M lenses would be much lighter for trekking in the mountains.
I imagine not having an OVF will be a disadvantage in the mountains in bright sunlight.
I'd keep my 70D for use when weight is not so important.
Any thoughts ? Many thanks

I think not having an EVF will be a disadvantage. If you get the M6ii, I suggest you fork out the extra for the EVF.
Adapters are fun (been there done that) but eventually they become fiddly and annoying. Unless you are going to buy one adapter per EF lens you own.

I'd stick with DSLR and the 80d - I wouldn't want to be clipping adapters on and off between using different systems. I had an EOS M for a while - and it could take EF lenses with an adaptor - I did it once or twice for the novelty value of being able to stick a 100-400 on a tiny body - but soon decided to stick with its native lens.

@Julsie74 If you get the 80d ping me your address and I’ll send you over a free grip.

I would go for the 80D. Solid, reliable, some weather sealing, decent AF and image quality. It’s going to be a major upgrade from the 70D. The 90D does have a bit better AF and does eye AF in live view though.

@Julsie74 If you get the 80d ping me your address and I’ll send you over a free grip.
Thank you very much for your kind offer but I already have one for the 70D and I believe it will also work on the newer models. I don't use it very frequently, mainly with my 150-600C as I find it gives me better balance.
For everyone else, thank you for your replies, it's been very helpful. I'm going to go with the 80D and spend the rest on wine :cool:

Back