8ft ceiling, how to light groups?

Edit My Images
No
In the near future I will be shooting a few dance group shots, but the studio I have to do this in, although has plenty of space, has a standard 8ft high ceiling.

I have at my disposal 3 x 300 lencarta superfasts, a 150cm octa and a 140cm strip. I'm just wondering how to go about this with a low ceiling like this? I guess if height wasn't an issue you'd pop the octa up high square on and shoot under it?

One thought was to put the strip horizontally and square on and shoot under it?

Anyhow any advice would be great. It's a few weeks away yet so have time to get any extra bits that would help.

One way of doing it would be to have the strip softbox above them, square on, and to bounce another light off of the wall behind you, for fill - won't be the most creative lighting, but it will be easy and effective.

One way of doing it would be to have the strip softbox above them, square on, and to bounce another light off of the wall behind you, for fill - won't be the most creative lighting, but it will be easy and effective.
Thanks Garry. I'd only have a set of windows about 20ft behind where'd i'd stand, but guess i could bounce off a large piece of white board or something.

Thanks Garry. I'd only have a set of windows about 20ft behind where'd i'd stand, but guess i could bounce off a large piece of white board or something.
Ahh... No, because the flash would need to travel 20' to the wall and another 20' back before it even starts it's journey to the subject, so you'll lose nearly all of the effective power. Placing the flash close to the wall would help, but you would still lose most of the effective power.
Your option seems to be to have a large source, for fill, immediately behind you.

In situations like this I'd tape a couple of silver survival blankets together (should be no more than £1.50 each) - as they weigh next to nothing they don't take much support, even been know to Blu Tack them hanging down from the ceiling, instant efficient reflective wall. I've always carried a packs of these around with me for years and consider them an essential creative accessory.

In situations like this I'd tape a couple of silver survival blankets together (should be no more than £1.50 each) - as they weigh next to nothing they don't take much support, even been know to Blu Tack them hanging down from the ceiling, instant efficient reflective wall. I've always carried a packs of these around with me for years and consider them an essential creative accessory.

Never too old to learn a new trick, would never have thought of using those. Cheers Paul :)

Great tip thanks!

Thanks for that tip- something I never thought of- I have two 2m x1.5m white pop up backgrounds I use for a similar effect

Now, where do I get these survival blankets lol :)

Les

Back