Beginner 8x10 Camera Lens

Name
eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm doing some research in to getting an 8x10 camera but I'm going round and round when it comes to looking up suitable lenses for one.
Currently I'm looking at ether a new bulldog camera or intrepid (via there kickstarter) 8x10.
Both cameras are lightweight so larger glass might be an issue.

Does anyone have any links to some bed time reading for me with regards to lens guides?

My main aim for my photos is of buildings and landscapes.

What are you specifically looking for? Information on what focal length(s) to choose, weight, or how well the 10x8 format is covered?

What are you specifically looking for? Information on what focal length(s) to choose, weight, or how well the 10x8 format is covered?
Kind of everything really. I'm new to it all [emoji2]

Last edited:
hmm, y'see.......its not an impossible task to shoot 10x8 straight off the bat, but generally you will have already experienced 5x4 so technically you'd not be an absolute beginner.
On the other hand, if you know what you want to do, no point in fannying about with tiddly formats like 5x4....lol....might as well just hold your nose and jump in.
Where are we going with 10x8, do we have an end game like...I dunno...contact prints or something, or are you just following a path to see where it goes

I gotta say though 10x8 is the beginning, the middle and the end.......of everything..:D

Cheers guys, just depressed myself looking for some on ebay... Ouch. Don't tell the misses [emoji23]

hmm, y'see.......its not an impossible task to shoot 10x8 straight off the bat, but generally you will have already experienced 5x4 so technically you'd not be an absolute beginner.
On the other hand, if you know what you want to do, no point in fannying about with tiddly formats like 5x4....lol....might as well just hold your nose and jump in.
Where are we going with 10x8, do we have an end game like...I dunno...contact prints or something, or are you just following a path to see where it goes

I gotta say though 10x8 is the beginning, the middle and the end.......of everything..:D
I'm not 100% sure where it will end up. I love learning new things. I had a taste of 4x5 with a converted polaroid and liked it. I did consider going down the intrepid 4x5 camera route but on hearing they are doing a 8x10 figured that maybe getting one of them would be better route.. seeing as i will prob end up with one...

We all have our own agendas and motives for doing what we do, they're all perfectly valid.
I've often thought about 10x8 again, but I need something more than a giant neg and I'm not interested in scans, so my reason to exist would be to contact print 10x8 and thus avoid a half hundred weight of girders that is a 10x8 enlarger.
I mean, you could shoot 5x4 and enlarge that to 10x8, but you'd still need a 5x4 enlarger which is only marginally less formidable than 10x8, plus you'd be fannying about with enlarger lenses and carriers and all that, so for me, I'd contact print 10x8.
All this is completely irrelevant if printing is not your end game, you might just want to shoot and scan, or just shoot, or...I dunno, whatever, printing is only MY end game.
Either way......its gonna be dear..:/

yeah well, you got me looking at 10x8 cameras so it serves you right...ha

good job there isn't any

:D

While there are some quite beautifull lenses for large format around. Much of the professional work was done with the traditional Xenars, Tessars, and Ektars. and the angulons for wide angle. It is true that these lenses have lesser image circles and are unlikely to cope with excessive movement, but the image quality will be more than adequate. Even for large enlargements.. they have the advantage that such lens constructions are very small and light weight for a large format lens.

Back