90D or RP?

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
No
I am thinking of upgrading from my old 18mp Canon 60D to either a new 90D 32mp or RP 24mp. My first question is, if the 90D has more pixels does it lose some as the image is cropped? I have several EF and EFS lenses that I can use but that leads me to the second question. To use these lenses on a RP with adaptor I understand I will lose some of the full frame image as it will be cropped. So do both options mean I will lose some pixels whatever the camera? Any guidance appreciated.

Firstly, I am unsure how using an EF (EF+S ..it it even possible to use this type of lens on the RP?) lens on an EF to RP adaptor will affect its characteristics but I would not expect vignetting to be one of the effects.

As for upgrading from a 60D to a 90D which are both crop sensor bodies.......what is making you think that somehow you would lose any MP from the sensor simply because of there being a higher pixel count???

Last edited:
The RP with the EF lens adapter allows you to use switch seamlessly between EF lenses in "full frame", and EF-S lenses in APS-C crop mode. You'll get 26Mp images in full-frame and around 10Mpixel in crop mode (1.6x smaller in both directions). The 90D is crop-mode only and will give you 33Mp images with EF or EF-S lenses as that's using the whole APS-C size sensor.
So if pure Mpixels is important to you, go with the 90D. If you have only EF-S lenses at the moment you won't be getting the most from the RP, but with EF lenses I would expect it to give better quality results in full frame even though the Mp count is slightly lower as the pixels are larger and can capture more light and dynamic range.

Last edited:
The 90D is a crop sensor camera. That means the sensor is smaller than a full frame sensor (like the RP).
Look here:
sensorsize.jpg

The 90D has more pixels but on a smaller sensor. The RP's full frame sensor has fewer pixels on a larger sensor, so the pixels are bigger and therefore better able to sense lower light levels.
Hence why full frame cameras are (generally) better in low light.

If you are going to go full frame and change mount for the RF mount, I'm not sure I would bother keeping any EF-S lenses.
If you put the RP into crop mode with an EF-S lens you'll only be getting around 15mp, because the EF-S lens can only put a small image circle onto the sensor and the camera just ignores the pixels around the edge.
Besides, what EF-S lenses do you have that are going to be worth keeping?

I did the upgrade from crop sensor 60D to full frame 6D. I sold my EF-S lenses to pay for the upgrade and kept my EF full frame lenses. The EF-S lenses wouldn't work on the 6D and even if they did, the full frame camera would show up their deficiencies.
I ended up just keeping a 50mm, 24-105L and a 90mm macro. Since then I've built up again.
I am currently thinking of upgrading my 6D to the RP, but I'll be looking to do the same again. But likely sell all my EF lenses and buy the RF lenses.
I tested all my current lenses with a hired RP and mount adaptor and although they all worked, the adaptor makes life faffy and adds to the bulk of the camera/lens combo, which is something I want to avoid.

ABTog has made some valid points above.
The RP will have bigger pixels and therefore have much better low light performance.
If you do get RP and get the RP to EF adapter which is a much better alternative than buying ER lenses.
I suspect the lenses on the RP should give you a more sharper image than the optical AF on the 90D.

I like the RP - really nice thing! AF with EF lens is perfect - I’ve got a few and all seamless! Do think about wanting the R.. but it’s a bit more!

Back