A Bolas spider

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I happened to see a doco on the Bolas spider which showed the egg sacks, which are quite easy to recognise. So, I went for a search in on my property to hopefully find one of these wonderful spiders. I had some small hope of success because I had done this once before, in a suburban garden in inner Melbourne, where I found a Bird Dropping Spider, which is exactly what I was looking for. Anyway, after only a short time I found what I was looking for this time as well. A Bolas Spider! Unfortunately, it didn't seem to want to throw its bolas, but maybe I will find one doing that. Just recently I found another, which was in Spring (as it is here), but it got lost in a hail storm. When we have hail it is generally quite destructive. This storm wasn't too bad, but the spider couldn't cope with 3cm hail. Another one will turn up sometime and I hope it will be more athletic than my last one.

I don't think she has very good eyesight.
_B131545-Edit-X3.jpg

_B131806-Edit.jpg

With eggsacks. The spider is very hard to find, the egg sacks are easier.
_B131319-Edit.jpg

My recent find. She was bigger and fatter than the previous one, but she died in natures equivalent of a cluster bomb - a hail storm. :(
DSC02144.jpg

This, Steve, might very well be the freakiest,
strangely looking arachnid I've ever seen! :cool:

There are some very strange looking spiders around and those with strange ways of living. We also get Net-casting spiders, Water spiders, Wrap-around Spiders and Two-spined Spiders to name but a few. They are very time consuming to photograph, but I sometimes get out in the height of summer when they abound. They are fascinating.

That last shot is super and a great find.
I`d love to see some net casting spider shots (Do you have a flickr account ?) or something.
The spiders that I am really interested in are Jumping spider of which, You Aussies have some of the best that can be found and the most colourful, Do you have any photos of them ?

That last shot is super and a great find.
I`d love to see some net casting spider shots (Do you have a flickr account ?) or something.
The spiders that I am really interested in are Jumping spider of which, You Aussies have some of the best that can be found and the most colourful, Do you have any photos of them ?
https://steveaxford.smugmug.com/Animals/Arachnids I don't have the Peacock Jumping Spider, unfortunately. It's probably around, but it's very small and hard to find if you don't know where to look.

Very nice shots of a fascinating subject Steve

#1 is great, looks like it has a little alien driver! very cool indeed

Excellent, such an interesting creature :)

Back