A Canon DSLR for photography course

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I’m new to photography having my fujifilm x100t has given me a real passion for it and I am looking at doing a diploma course with the BAPH (I know it doesn’t count for much but would be pretty much my first qualification in anything so I want to do it) I was looking at the equipment list needed for the course and I’m not sure the x100t will quite cover it. I have been looking at getting a second hand canon DSLR. As I’m new you can imagine that the range of second hand cameras out there is a minefield for a newbie. I would like something that will see me not only through the course but also past that as I develop. I also dont have a huge amount of money so don’t want to buy something now that I will then be looking to replace in a year or so’s time. I was recommended going for a full frame camera and there is a Canon 6D body for £400 at CeX (I’m aware the shutter count could be a gamble but I’m trading things in to be able to afford it) and would then just start with a second hand kit lens and hopefully in the future any investment could be spent on better lenses.

Do people think this sounds like a good idea? does anyone have and advice for me or even recommend alternative canon cameras I could look at in the used market? I would like to stick to Canon if possible as I know a few people with canons that might be able to loan me lenses if I need them for a project etc.

sorry for the long post but as a beginner any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

I you are used to Fuji, why not stick with them?

X-T10's and 20's are more than reasonable with regard to second hand pricing.

And I'd avoid somewhere like CeX like the plague. The chance of the goods having been 'appropriated' are through the roof.

Use someone reputable like MPB.

And I'd avoid somewhere like CeX like the plague. The chance of the goods having been 'appropriated' are through the roof.

Use someone reputable like MPB.
totally agree..London camera exchange have always been brilliant too

For the immediate purpose, is it that you need a range of focal lengths that your x100t doesn't have? Or what, exactly? Spell it out.

A course (even if it's a trumped-up one) is play-time (that's how we learn). So don't get fixated on gear. The first choice is to stretch what you have already. I only say this because shopping is so often a cop-out to avoid making true creative choices.

For the immediate purpose, is it that you need a range of focal lengths that your x100t doesn't have? Or what, exactly? Spell it out.

A course (even if it's a trumped-up one) is play-time (that's how we learn). So don't get fixated on gear. The first choice is to stretch what you have already. I only say this because shopping is so often a cop-out to avoid making true creative choices.
I need a camera with a variable zoom lens plus I love my Fuji for candid street photography but I have also found that some other areas it being a little limited and wile I’m not looking to replace my Fuji I would also like the flexibility going forward. My Fuji will be my carry everywhere camera and DSLR not only to learn and experiment with but also flexible going forward

If you want a camera with changeable lenses I think you should have a look at mirrorless. You can choose from MFT, APS-C or FF and they are the future and IMO have definite advantages over DSLR's such as being able to see the DoF and exposure and being able to focus accurately and consistently anywhere in the frame.

If you want a camera with changeable lenses I think you should have a look at mirrorless. You can choose from MFT, APS-C or FF and they are the future and IMO have definite advantages over DSLR's such as being able to see the DoF and exposure and being able to focus accurately and consistently anywhere in the frame.
do you have any cameras that you would recommend me looking at secondhand?

Perhaps if you posted what your budget is for the body and likewise the zoom lens and in regard to the lens, what focal length zoom range do need/want?

I have Panasonic MFT and a FF Sony A7. MFT cameras can be found for around £200 - £300 but I'd stick to cameras after the GX7 and G7 as these earlier cameras induced shutter shock with some lenses. The GX80 I have is IMO good value for money and lenses can be found on the used market at reasonable prices. The Sony A7 is old tech now but is I believe the cheapest way into digital mirrorless FF. I use a lot of old film era manual primes on my A7 and manual focus is easy and accurate with the magnified view.

Other than that as suggested above you may want to stick with Fuji APS-C.

Last edited:

I recommend a trip to a camera shop.
Like others I would suggest a Fuji as you find it easier to use.
Another good MFT option would be an Olympus OMD E-M5II.

If you do still feel the need for a Canon remember a FF camera is only useful if your friends also have FF (but beware of b******t) if they have APSC you won't be able utilise the sensor.

Back