A Car Related Driving Question?

If you leave decent room between yourself and the car in front the handbrake will allow some movement to absorb the impact and lessen damage without you hitting the car in front, if the car hitting you from behind is going that fast the foot brake is unlikely to help prevent you hitting the car in front anyway. My eyeline in my car is approx 1m off the ground and so I sit level-or lower- than many brake lights and make them a real pain when at lights, people shouldn’t be relying on brake lights to make them stop, traffic lights are at a height for all to see and I think an advanced instructor would suggest they should be more aware and the police come with a charge of ‘driving without due care and attention’.
How many of the brake light fan also use fog lights in inappropriate conditions I wonder.

traffic lights are at a height for all to see

If I'm at the front of the queue and there's no repeater (like at pedestrian crossings), I have to crane my neck to see the lights. I'm only 6'1" tall but have short legs and a long body. It's OK in Mrs Nod's MX-5 though - I'm looking over the screen!

If you leave decent room between yourself and the car in front the handbrake will allow some movement to absorb the impact and lessen damage without you hitting the car in front, if the car hitting you from behind is going that fast the foot brake is unlikely to help prevent you hitting the car in front anyway. My eyeline in my car is approx 1m off the ground and so I sit level-or lower- than many brake lights and make them a real pain when at lights, people shouldn’t be relying on brake lights to make them stop, traffic lights are at a height for all to see and I think an advanced instructor would suggest they should be more aware and the police come with a charge of ‘driving without due care and attention’.
How many of the brake light fan also use fog lights in inappropriate conditions I wonder.

So many things in that post....

"If you leave decent room between yourself and the car in front the handbrake will allow some movement to absorb the impact". Do you ever drive in London? Anything less than half a car length is an invitation for somebody to pull into the space and queue jump.

"traffic lights are at a height for all to see" Maybe that's why they put repeaters lower down in some places. There are numerous lights I've been at that I can't see without craning my neck out of a window.

"I think an advanced instructor would suggest they should be more aware and the police come with a charge of ‘driving without due care and attention’." And that one just takes the biscuit....

Turns out.... my stop start hill function doesn't work in high temperatures

From what I can gather, if there are a few systems running that are fairly heavy power drains (air con?), stop/start can sometimes be disabled. Similarly, in cold weather, the car might need to be hot (rather than warmed up) for s/s to kick in.

From what I can gather, if there are a few systems running that are fairly heavy power drains (air con?), stop/start can sometimes be disabled. Similarly, in cold weather, the car might need to be hot (rather than warmed up) for s/s to kick in.

I had a warning light last Friday after work, tried to turn it on and it said the external temperature was too high, came back after driving for 5 minutes

If your car battery is partially discharged (car not been used for weeks) then Stop/Start will be temporarily disabled too until the battery recharges.

Many cars like mine have auto hold for the brakes. Slow down and stop using foot brake, keep pressed down for two seconds and the auto brake enable, lift off pedal put car in neutral, the brakes stay on no need to keep foot on brakes. Lights go green, put car in gear and accelerate, the brake automaticity disengages .

Mine is a manual geared car.

Next someone will complain about car driving around all day with side lights on :D

If your car is a Ford Focus Mk4 the stop/start may work once every 12 months if your very lucky, the intelligent battery system is a thick as @%&£

Last edited by a moderator:
Many cars like mine have auto hold for the brakes. Slow down and stop using foot brake, keep pressed down for two seconds and the auto brake enable, lift off pedal put car in neutral, the brakes stay on no need to keep foot on brakes. Lights go green, put car in gear and accelerate, the brake automaticity disengages .

Mine is a manual geared car.

Next someone will complain about car driving around all day with side lights on :D

If your car is a Ford Focus Mk4 the stop/start may work once every 12 months if your very lucky, the intelligent battery system is a thick as @%&£
My wife's car last car was an auto with auto-hold brakes, it was a right pain while trying to manoeuvre the car into the garage where we needed fine control to inch forward close to a wall. We left auto-hold turned off most of the time.

Back