A couple from my 2 weeks in Plymouth !

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, heres a couple from my trip (over 1400 shots so far and thats after deleting a load), quality not great as im not using my normal host (compression is awful), am still in plymouth ! LOL Usual comments welcome ! :) and yes there are dust spots on my CCD before anybody mentions it ! :whistling all sorted on my laptop so may not be right, its not my normal machine !

Kestrel : shame its not facing me, but i would have drowned getting it head on ! lol
29768557_b0bf8da158_o.jpg

Power Boat
28263543_47f17a8128_o.jpg

Red Arrows
28263529_2498f2eb9d_o.jpg

Red Arrows again
28263527_bddb18ba75_o.jpg

Ooops ! who forgot to wind the shutter speed on then ! :(
28263508_a984f0f62e_o.jpg

and last but not least

An Otter
29744806_ccca9ca537_o.jpg

fingerz said:
Quite like the blurring on that second-to-last pic. Kestrel's nice too but a bit on the dark ide.

Is it still dark ? damn i hate this laptop ! lol

I will see if i can lighten it a bit more, it looked ok on here !

Thanks for the comments, and i will get shot of dust spots on the second from last when i get home, this laptop is bugging me ! lol

IanC_UK said:
Is it still dark?

Yeah, a little. I dragged it into Photoshop and opened the levels histogram. Looked to me like it could use the white point sliding to the left and the grey point sliding to the right, if that makes sense. Black point wasn't too bad IMO. It's a pretty narrow 'hill' on the histogram.

Yeah i know the hill is narrow, was a really grim day today in Tintagel, and was struggling to get a shutter speed that would let me get the pic, and get enough light in !

I will have another look at it ! :thankyous

Anytime. While we're on the subject of narrow hills... What's the concensus of opinion? Do you drag the levels in so you get a more striking picture that has lots of (digital) grain? Or do you leave it a bit grey/dark but with less noise?

Ideally, of course, you'll be trying to get a picture that has a full brightness range out of the camera but failing that....

29751230_49cdf841fe_o.jpg

Here's another attempt ! LOL

If the hill on the histogram is really narrow, i try and get the best pic i can out of it, and hope the noise isnt too bad, can run noiseware on them, but i dont have it on this laptop ! sometimes its not worth the hassle though ! I really like that pic though, even though its not as sharp when edited ! :)

Yep, they are a bit dark Ian, good timing on them though, and I'd love a shot like that otter :)

fingerz said:
Do you drag the levels in so you get a more striking picture that has lots of (digital) grain?

yes, noiseware usually sorts it out :)

pretty good Ian, like the powerboat being chsed by airwolf...

Some nice shots there.

WRT The histogram, I don't regard a narrow 'hill' as a bad shot, per se. Not on that basis alone, it is all dependant on the shot.

All a narrow hill means is that the level of grey in the picture is concentrated around that area. So if you've got a shot of something that is mostly grey and not much else, then you're going to get a narrow 'hill' as it were.

WRT do I fiddle about or not, I would say it's all dependant on the actual shot.
When I first started using histograms (and now even), I tend to fall back to the 'oh it has to be even all along, and not cut off anywhere, with nice slopes either end'.
It's taking it's time but I'm slowly coming round to the idea that there are no static rules wrt histograms, and I'm just beginning to learn to look at the histogram with the actual scene in the picture in mind, compare the two mentally and decide whether the histogram represents what I want the shot to come out like.
For example if I'm taking a shot at night, with alot of black, then at a glance of the histogram, I would expect it to be heavily weighted to the left, if it's not then I know there's something wrong.

If that all makes sense :)

Yes very good shots 2,5,6,7,8 and 10 along with the 2nd Kestrel :thumb:

Back