A couple of blended night aerial shots.

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just started experimenting with blending aerial night exposures, using one shot for the sky and one for city lights. Until it broke, I mainly used my Ricoh GR for this sort of thing, so it's the first time I've used the technique with a large camera. Unfortunately these were both from Jpegs, as I hadn't realised that the remote app on my phone shoots Jpeg only by default; it's been sorted now so hopefully next time I'll get a bit less noise using RAW files. The second one is I know pretty noisy. The first one was easier as it is generally much darker.
Both shot with a Sony A7s and Pentax smc-K 28mm f3.5.

Rotterdam by Jon, on Flickr

Benelux by Jon, on Flickr

I've just started experimenting with blending aerial night exposures, using one shot for the sky and one for city lights. Until it broke, I mainly used my Ricoh GR for this sort of thing, so it's the first time I've used the technique with a large camera. Unfortunately these were both from Jpegs, as I hadn't realised that the remote app on my phone shoots Jpeg only by default; it's been sorted now so hopefully next time I'll get a bit less noise using RAW files. The second one is I know pretty noisy. The first one was easier as it is generally much darker.
Both shot with a Sony A7s and Pentax smc-K 28mm f3.5.

Rotterdam by Jon, on Flickr

Benelux by Jon, on Flickr

That is very effective well done

The first could be called the City of Gold, very cool! :cool:

Thanks for the comments! It's an interesting experiment, and is pushing even the A7s a bit. I've just bought a faster lens to try out next time.

With the first image I actually took the star shot a few minutes earlier, travelling in the same direction. Once that close to the city the lights reflecting in haze block out the stars. For obvious reasons moonless nights work much better, and I need smooth air (the sky shots are 8-10 secs) so it's not that often I can shoot this stuff.

Are you EJ or RYR ;)

Neither :)

Excellent, post some more please (y)

Oh, I like both of those!

Really like the first one. Personally I would shoot the city lights from the aeroplane, but not the stars. I'd do them on the ground in the darkest place I'de been to with no moon and blend them in...

Really like the first one. Personally I would shoot the city lights from the aeroplane, but not the stars. I'd do them on the ground in the darkest place I'de been to with no moon and blend them in...

I had thought about that, but I want the stars to be in their proper places in relation to the city lights... It would be difficult to do this on the ground and have the stars in the right place. I would need to shoot the stars in the correct direction at the right time of night, make adjustments for longitude and elevation etc . I prefer to try and keep it all as authentic as possible.

Back