A couple of wet ones.. first use of RAW!

Name
Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
I have always been slightly suspicious of RAW, specifically because as an ex film photographer, I liked to do everything with the camera, but I thought I'd give it a go, so I bought Lightroom.

These are both large crops at quite a high ISO because of poor light. DOF is quite narrow, but that's the best I could do given the light. I think I'm going to like RAW after all.

Greenie.jpg

Goldie-1.jpg

I've not tried raw either, only just got lightroom, got the DSLR, set it to save raw, so i now have all the gear, but still no idea:D

Looking at these is helping me make the decision to switch, thanks.

Quite frankly i'm shocked at all three of you.

Nope, still dont like the new style of writing TPF is adopting so i'll revert......

I've always considered RAW photogrpahy to be closer in nature to film photography DD - you have a more flexible medium than a jpeg. Its true you have to apply a little more time to it as the results straight from camera are, well, more raw, but i like that. You'll gain so much more from the switch.

Come on Glo and Chillimonster - get to it (y)

:agree: with the Reb ... :eek: ... I have used RAW since going digi and really don't understand what all the fuss is about ... come on guys ... :cautious: ... you will not know what you are missing until you give it a go ... :naughty:

Oh ... and your usual level of pics there Doug ... (y) ... nice ... :D

:p

Nice as always Doug (y)
Raw, isn't that how you buy meat from supermarkets? (oh gawd another pleb :D )
More seriously do you need lightroom or an other or does CS3 do it? ( I have CS3 but as yet not installed it, waiting for a quite few hours for that pleasure)

CS3 has Adobe Camera RAW built in. Just double click your RAW file and it will automatically open in the Camera RAW program, you make your adjustments then click "open". It will then open the image in Photoshop for any further editing you fancy

Camera RAW in CS3 has become an incredibly flexible piece of software now. It's astonishing what you can do with it!

i love the greenfinch but the goldfinch seem to have strange colour you,ll have to check this. as for raw ive only used jpeg large 1. time and i dont use the auto modes on the 350d raw is so much better aspecialy with cs3.
many thanks
jason

Camera RAW in CS3 has become an incredibly flexible piece of software now. It's astonishing what you can do with it!

Cheers Grendel (y)
I am waiting for a couple of days off before I install CS3 to give me "fighting chance" to start learning what to do with it :D

Quite frankly i'm shocked at all three of you.

Come on Glo and Chillimonster - get to it (y)

:agree: with the Reb ... :eek: come on guys ... :cautious: ... you will not know what you are missing until you give it a go ... :naughty:

:p

Ok! ok! ... stop bullying me!!! :embarrassed: :LOL: ;)

So, if I want to shoot RAW, do I need this Lightroom thingymebobby programme, if I dont have CS3? :help:

I dont believe that you havnt used RAW before :eek:
Its a one way trip though, bit like getting broadband, you'll never go back.

Very good shots BTW

So, if I want to shoot RAW, do I need this Lightroom thingymebobby programme, if I dont have CS3? :help:

NO Lightroom is irrelevant to RAW. Ive been using RAW for about 3 years. Cs2 will be fine if thats what youve got.

:D

No - you dont need to pay for a programme. Rawshooter is, I think, still available (if not i have a copy of Rawshooter P you can have). I'd recommend Bibble over any other £ program (its a close run between that and CS3 Bridge / Camera RAW)

Yup! got CS2 ... so will have a bash over the next couple of days.
But Janice ... expect whingeing emails asking how, which, why, what, where :LOL:

Sorry Doug ... didnt mean to drag your thread offtopic!

Doug, that 1st shot (Greenfinch?) is about the sharpest bird photo I've ever seen you post (y)

I wonder if the WB is a bit off on the second one though - it looks very pink in the whites on my monitor

Argggh!!!! :puke:

So sorry Doug ... here I go again

:D

No - you dont need to pay for a programme. Rawshooter is, I think, still available (if not i have a copy of Rawshooter P you can have). I'd recommend Bibble over any other £ program (its a close run between that and CS3 Bridge / Camera RAW)
So do I need this Rawshooter as well as CS2 or instead of???

If you've got CS2 Glo then you already have RAW editing software in Adobe Camera RAW ;)

If you've got CS2 Glo then you already have RAW editing software in Adobe Camera RAW ;)

:agree: with the ageing one. You dont need anything on top of Camera Raw in CS2 - just bear in mind its a bit of a slow old dog. Probably worth checking your version updates are in line before the wonderful Adobe turn off support.

Thank you peeps (y)

Ill leave Dougs birdies alone now and start another thread if I get in a tangle with the RAW thang.

Oh just to add, I too noticed a bit of a magenta cast showing on the Goldfinch pic, hence I preferred the 1st pic.

I have used the camera RAW in PS3, and it is very versatile. Lightroom however, gives much better options in that it is much easier to sort and discard unwanted RAW images if you have uploaded many images. The manioulation controls seem to be a little more sensitive too.

I've adjusted the white balance on the Goldfinch shot - so you can all blimmin well stop complaining:razz:

I've adjusted the white balance on the Goldfinch shot - so you can all blimmin well stop complaining:razz:

lol. Looks much better for it (y)

Cracking shots, sharp as a pin, and excellent empty space.
Couple of points, the BG is very noisey in both, but can be sorted easily enough.
Second perhaps dodge round the eye (first image) a tad to bring a smidgen more detail out?

Cracking shots, sharp as a pin, and excellent empty space.
Couple of points, the BG is very noisey in both, but can be sorted easily enough.
Second perhaps dodge round the eye (first image) a tad to bring a smidgen more detail out?

Les, I HATE messing around with captures - it's like admitting I got it wrong.:puke:

Love the Greenfinch shot Doug :clap: good luck with raw (y)

That first shot is absolutely ace Doug, and all the persuasion you should need to stick with RAW. The blue cast on the Goldfinch (and the Goldie in the other thread) is no longer a mystery as I can see it's down to your getting used to RAW processing. It's probably a white balance issue, but no biggie - Rome in a day and all that, and the leap in quality is obvious. (y)

Wow! I am so amazed by the fact that some people still don't use raw that I nearly omitted to say what nice shots these are Doug! (y)

No.1 For me.. Cotoneaster richly coloured and a lovely sheen. Bird is nice too. :LOL: I'm definitely gonna give this raw caper a shot....

David.

Back