A Critical Causerie

Edit My Images
Yes
Into my posession has come a set of Amateur photographer magazines from 1925 & 1926. The original owner has had them all bound, alas at the expense of their front covers, but every single copy for 2 years is there and in pretty mint condition!

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

As such, I shall share some the bits and pieces with you from the relevant weeks, 80 years ago. Unless of course you tell me to shut up that is!

Anyways.......Peer review!!!!!

amateurphotomay1926002.jpg

amateurphotomay1926003.jpg

amateurphotomay1926004.jpg

I hope you can read them???

Stupid image size regulations!

Hope you find as much interest and mirth in reading this article as I did!

I don't think anybody here will tell you to shut up Gandhi. :LOL:

Personally, I would love to find out what photographers were reading about 80 years ago.

I was looking at google books the other day. There are some really old photography books there that you can read in full. One I looked at went into detail about making glass plates ready for the camera.

I have a couple of old photography books for 'Stanza' on me Iphone. One about the chemistry, written at the time of Fox-Talbot and another about the mechanics of making all the diferent types of paper and plates from daguerrotypes to uranotypes (pretty dangerous that last one)

All of this and I have never bothered to go to the Fox-Talbot museum at laycock, just down the road.

Thats next Sunday sorted then!

I'd quite like to try some of the older processes but I simply dont have the time at the moment. First on my list is Carbon transfer printing :)

interesting stuff :)

Ghandi - with these being 1925/1926 i'm assuming they were on orthochromatic film rahter than panchromatic film also which just makes it even more intriguing in my eyes :)

interesting that the same comments made there still apply now
my particular bee-filled bonnet is with sloping horizons - nothing new there then!

interesting stuff :)

Ghandi - with these being 1925/1926 i'm assuming they were on orthochromatic film rahter than panchromatic film also which just makes it even more intriguing in my eyes :)

Both probably, and a mixture of plates and film I would imagine. The magazines make constatnt reference to all 4.

interesting that the same comments made there still apply now
my particular bee-filled bonnet is with sloping horizons - nothing new there then!

Indeed. Nothing much changes, there are articles on stitching panoramas together whilst printing, how to replace the skies in a print etc etc etc. and everybody thinks photoshop is the saviour of photography!

that'll be me getting my dates mixed up i thought it was mid 1930's when panchromatic film started but it was mid 1920's :( whoops

Back