A day in Bury St Edmunds.

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
So many beautiful places to shoot, and all just walking without direction.

Pretty cottage behind the courthouse.

Qyq22T.jpg

Ruins in the Abbey.

qQzzRP.jpg

tzVUCu.jpg

XqPuVb.jpg

Other little pieces of rural beauty within the town

VbB1KO.jpg

oo43ix.jpg

2Xm4hK.jpg

I had loads more but didn't want to overload!
Got loads of amazing buildings from the old town too.

Any comments are welcome, especially critique to help me improve.

The over exposed areas are very hard on the eyes and the greens overly bright too (viewing on a calibrated IPS monitor)

Liked the composition of first and last, but exposure and processing has for me given a negative effect for this set

I'm guessing they are jpegs, if so perhaps try RAW so the exposure can be better managed in post processing

They are jpegs. I don't understand what RAW is as I have never had a camera that produces them before now. I think the biggest problem here is my PP, I'll have to reign it in a bit.

I think you need to try and find out more about exposure, the three factors that influence it (Aperture,Shutter Speed and ISO) and how they are interconnected.
There are a huge number of web articles on the subject, quick search will give you plenty to be getting on with.

Everything else leads on from that basic principle otherwise you will be on auto forever and never understand the appearance of your photos

Plenty of people on here will offer help if you request it, also have a look in the tutorials section for lots more information https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/categories/photography-technique.3/

I live in St Ives so if you want some help you are welcome to pop over for a stroll and some guidance

Last edited:
They are jpegs. I don't understand what RAW is as I have never had a camera that produces them before now. I think the biggest problem here is my PP, I'll have to reign it in a bit.
I think I have to agree with you on the post-process. If you pull back each of the adjustments by at least half of your current settings I think you'll see an improvement. There's also some overexposure in places, which could be your camera settings or your processing.

In my honest opinion the straight out of camera pics are easier on the eye. Over to the PP experts now....

Ben, I dig your frames but not the rendition of their
content.

DRL and WB are the first tweaks.
Recovering the highlights and taming the mid tones
should follow. NO NEED for saturation, vibrance etc
and other perversions!

At this point, you can recognize what you saw had
you shot these in RAW! If you didn't, now you know
you should have and always do.

Last edited:
What is DRL? I am very new to all this. I will play with the white balance some more to get better results.

And I shall start using RAW. I currently only have GiMP because it's free, any suggestions on how to tame mid-tones? I'm not even sure what that means exactly.

One of the biggest advantages in shooting raw is highlight recovery.
On my uncalibrated laptop screen, several of these look as if the highlights are either "blown" or close to being blown.
The cottage with the white flowers (cow parsley?) in the foreground being a good example.
In raw and reducing the highlights, you should be able to restore a lot of detail in the flowers.

One of the many articles about the benefits of raw is here.

Back