A day out in York and its close surroundings

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I am shortly, 25th October to visit york and wonder if there is a local group who meet up to shoot landscapes. It is my first trip to the area and whilst i am happy to explore I would welcome a group shoot.

Sutton Bank is worth a visit, along with the North Yorkshire Moors and perhaps Whitby Harbour and the Abbey. I live in the centre of York and there's no shortage of interesting places to visit and photograph. Happy to give you a view pointers. We have tried to arrange a group visit in the past but with little success.

Thanks folks, let me know where and when, I am free Monday or Tuesday morning

No problem, any pointers on suitable destinations? i am mobile, love rivers, bridges, waterfalls etc

The ouse runs through town, the main bridges, Ouse, Lendal and Skeldergate all have decent angles on them from the path next to the river.
EG Lendal Bridge:

Walk a bit further out of town (only half a mile or so) and you've got Millennium bridge which is a bit different:

Waterfalls you'll struggle with in town, but slightly further afield check out Falling Foss and Mallyon Spout, both on the moors not far from Goathland.

Back in York have a wander around the Minster, they're really relaxed about photography, no problem taking a tripod for example, and some stunning architecture.

The Nave, York Minster
by mark_mullen, on Flickr

Thank you Mark Mullen, it looks like a day walking round the city is for me. Monday - if you fancy meeting up text on 07624495270. thank you for your advice.

Last edited:
The ouse runs through town, the main bridges, Ouse, Lendal and Skeldergate all have decent angles on them from the path next to the river.
EG Lendal Bridge:

Walk a bit further out of town (only half a mile or so) and you've got Millennium bridge which is a bit different:

Waterfalls you'll struggle with in town, but slightly further afield check out Falling Foss and Mallyon Spout, both on the moors not far from Goathland.

Back in York have a wander around the Minster, they're really relaxed about photography, no problem taking a tripod for example, and some stunning architecture.

The Nave, York Minster
by mark_mullen, on Flickr

You have some very nice images there Mark, I particularly like your image of Lendal Bridge in Mono.

Thank you Mark Mullen, it looks like a day walking round the city is for me. Monday - if you fancy meeting up text on 07624495270. thank you for your advice.

I regret, I am also not available next wee as I will be down in Bristol. I hope you have a pleasant visit.

thanks folks, i will share the better images on my return.

Heres a few of mages from York to give you a few other ideas:-

The Shambles is always interesting to visit but you need to be there early, it gets actually chocker block after about 0800 hrs:

York Railway station, often steam trains of interest and access to the National Railway Museum

York Minster, the largest gothic cathedral in northern Europe.

York Minster from the City Walls

Lendal Bridge - from the other side !
https://flic.kr/p/ncCMtS

Clifford Tower - the tower played a crucial role in medieval history, when York Castle sometimes served as the seat of royal government and administrative focus of Yorkshire.
https://flic.kr/p/neFqf2

York Crown Court, adjacent to Cliffords Tower and Castle Museum
- this gallows are no longer here from the BBC Set "Death Comes to Pemberley"
https://flic.kr/p/m7K8aK

Back