Beginner A decent backup DSLR to my D7k

Edit My Images
Yes
Given the opportunity would you purchase a second hand D300 as a backup to a D7000. Thoughts please. Thank you

Good point although cost is a constraint. Which body would you suggest and why ?

D7200 or D7500, simply because the button layout will be very similar to your D7000 - the D300 or D500 have a different layout albeit not a massively different one.

Long forgotten now but there was never much wrong with the D90. Must cost nothing now.

I used to have a D7000 and D7100. They were similar size and layout.....except for the plus and minus buttons that are in slightly different places but the opposite way around. I was always pressing the wrong one!!

I didn’t get much use of the D7000 after I got the D7100 because I found the AF was a little off on the D7000 after getting the D7100.

Another D7000 unless you can get a D7100 cheaper.

This.

That said, why get a backup at all? cameras rarely fail and 'backups' often spend their lives in bags losing value. If you do NEED a backup the it is good to have the same camera so you can just pick it up and go, the D300 is a totally different camera, different layout, different features (and an older sensor).

This.

That said, why get a backup at all? cameras rarely fail and 'backups' often spend their lives in bags losing value. If you do NEED a backup the it is good to have the same camera so you can just pick it up and go, the D300 is a totally different camera, different layout, different features (and an older sensor).

I like to have 2 of the same bodies, as it is I have 3 but two is good. Minimises lens changes, but I use them both the same as one tends to have one lens on and the other the other ;)

I like to have 2 of the same bodies, as it is I have 3 but two is good. Minimises lens changes, but I use them both the same as one tends to have one lens on and the other the other ;)

Yeah I think if I had two bodies - say for weddings, I'd have a 24-70mm on one body and 70-200 on another body to minimise lens changes. Some may have 35 - 85 etc.

I used to have a D7000 and D7100. They were similar size and layout.....except for the plus and minus buttons that are in slightly different places but the opposite way around. I was always pressing the wrong one!!

I didn’t get much use of the D7000 after I got the D7100 because I found the AF was a little off on the D7000 after getting the D7100.

I am thinking my AF is a bit off on my D7000 and am contemplating sending it to Nikon or Fixation for calibration

Back