A different perspective

Edit My Images
Yes
I read this years ago and I thought about it this morning. I found it amusing

I think I get the gist.

I’d like to counter with:

my SiL is a joiner, and if anyone suggested he use a corded drill needing a Chuck key he’d look at them like they were lunatics. Let alone a brace and bit.

Technology has changed all of life, immeasurably. And whilst the increments might seem pointless at times, the distance travelled isn’t.

I think I get the gist.

my SiL is a joiner, and if anyone suggested he use a corded drill needing a Chuck key he’d look at them like they were lunatics. Let alone a brace and bit.

Technology has changed all of life, immeasurably. And whilst the increments might seem pointless at times, the distance travelled isn’t.

I still have my Makita drill I bought in 1978.... it still works perfectly too and has enough torque that you have to concentrate, it can turn your wrist otherwise!

I remember this and I think I'm right in saying it caused Amazon to sell out.

I think I get the gist.

Looooong time back I was an electrician and as an apprentice I and others had to wire up a barn with no electricity. The supply would come later. This was in the days long before battery powered power tools so all we had were hand tools. Want to make a hole without a brace and bit? You can. These days it'd be a health and safety nightmare as as well as having no power tools we had no staging or even ladders. I was the only one who could jump up, grab a beam and pull myself up and I sat there watching the others huff and puff trying to get up. Happy days :D

I can remember someone bringing back my torque wrench which was in pieces I asked what happened to it ? He replied I was hammering with it ! They are just tools but make sure you use the right tool for the job, sometimes the biggest tool is the one operating the tool.
You should try posting the same thing up on TP and I bet you get the same response.

I too was an apprentice spark and worked mostly in new build factories.
Most cabling was in concrete tunnels under the factory floors and run along Dexion type racks. Many had to be hung from the ceilings and they were the killers.
With a hand held rawlplug tool and a big hammer I fashioned hundreds of holes with more than a little pain.
Still at £1 2s 6d a week ....which didn't quite cover my bus fares....it was somewhere to go every day!

Last edited:
I too was an apprentice spark and worked mostly in new build factories.

With a hand held rawlplug tool and a big hammer I fashioned hundreds of holes with more than a little pain.
When I started with BT in the mid 80's as an Installer, I was issued one of them in my tool kit. We were issued an electric drill eventually, but it was a non hammer corded version, and it was only the "foreman" who had a hammer drill!

Reactions: EJB
Back