a fav B&W wedding shot, cc welcome

If the shot is meant as a thematic take on weddings,
it could be acceptable after some minor touchups.

…but if it was meant as a job shot ~… Ok if the
couple want it so, otherwise

— the white dress is nowhere near white
— the shot should be cleaned up
— the couple is not identifiable

I will stop here. You're going somewhere but just not
there yet.

If the shot is meant as a thematic take on weddings,
it could be acceptable after some minor touchups.

…but if it was meant as a job shot ~… Ok if the
couple want it so, otherwise

— the white dress is nowhere near white
— the shot should be cleaned up
— the couple is not identifiable

I will stop here. You're going somewhere but just not
there yet.
was a tone down on the usual white and aimed at detail of couples being removed, will fire a re edit up

Sorry Mark but this is not going in the direction
I was referring to…

Do you have Skype, TeamViewer? (both free!)
Or may I have an SOOC copy of that scene?

From a professional wedding photographer's POV, it doesn't work whatever you do with the original file.

I'm not sold on that slice of background coming through between the columns, but the main problem with it is the way the couple are posed. The groom's face is in shadow and we don't see much of the bride's because of the way her head's turned away from camera. His right hand is just hanging, emphasising the fact that his shirt sleeve is too long. I guess that's his left hand in the small of the bride's back, but it's not clearly identifiable as such so the viewer's left wondering about that lump on her back. Even if it was clearly identifiable, for a bloke to stand there with one arm round a woman like that but the other just hanging there is completely unnatural. And she's holding the bouquet like it's a bunch of daffs she's just bought from the garage.

If you're going to set up a wedding photo, you need to get every aspect of the bride and groom right, as well as the overall composition. If you don't, anything off about the subjects really jars.

HTH a bit.

PS Don't worry about the detail in the dress unless the shot's specifically intended to show that. Otherwise, detail in the dress is a snapper's thing. The average bride doesn't give a flying one as long as she looks good and the feel, the moment or the emotion is loud and clear in the picture.

Last edited:
From a professional wedding photographer's POV, it doesn't work whatever you do with the original file.

I'm not sold on that slice of background coming through between the columns, but the main problem with it is the way the couple are posed. The groom's face is in shadow and we don't see much of the bride's because of the way her head's turned away from camera. His right hand is just hanging, emphasising the fact that his shirt sleeve is too long. I guess that's his left hand in the small of the bride's back, but it's not clearly identifiable as such so the viewer's left wondering about that lump on her back. Even if it was clearly identifiable, for a bloke to stand there with one arm round a woman like that but the other just hanging there is completely unnatural. And she's holding the bouquet like it's a bunch of daffs she's just bought from the garage.

If you're going to set up a wedding photo, you need to get every aspect of the bride and groom right, as well as the overall composition. If you don't, anything off about the subjects really jars.

HTH a bit.

PS Don't worry about the detail in the dress unless the shot's specifically intended to show that. Otherwise, detail in the dress is a snapper's thing. The average bride doesn't give a flying one as long as she looks good and the feel, the moment or the emotion is loud and clear in the picture.
excellent cc, as the piont you made the really do stand out, i posted this and general friends and family loved it but as you said about hands and position it really does stand out once spotted and if processed in a album then after so many 100 or 1000 views these faults would stand out, 2nd shooter work from myself

I had a feeling you shot it as a second. I'm sure somebody more into posed shots than I ever was could point out how the rest of it could be improved, but obviously if it's the primary's shot, you were very limited in scope.

One of several reasons why I was never into doing lots of posed stuff at weddings is my belief that if you're going to do a posed wedding photograph, you owe it to your clients to get everything right about it - not just the pose. If you study the work of the experts, you'll notice how you never see too much or too little shirt cuff, wonky ties, groom on wrong side of bride, phone in pocket, bride's hair adrift and so on. The pose, lighting and so on are all spot on, but so too is everything else.

I had a feeling you shot it as a second. I'm sure somebody more into posed shots than I ever was could point out how the rest of it could be improved, but obviously if it's the primary's shot, you were very limited in scope.

One of several reasons why I was never into doing lots of posed stuff at weddings is my belief that if you're going to do a posed wedding photograph, you owe it to your clients to get everything right about it - not just the pose. If you study the work of the experts, you'll notice how you never see too much or too little shirt cuff, wonky ties, groom on wrong side of bride, phone in pocket, bride's hair adrift and so on. The pose, lighting and so on are all spot on, but so too is everything else.
been chatting and working with a few in derry, wouldn't object to what you are saying at all and its hard to get your direct eye contact in posed shots if your 2nd shooting but also seen some "professional" work from other shooters 5-10 years in the business and questioned it alot, seeking to expand and improve portfolio and neutral CC for you guys in the future and i feel you all say what u see on here as im not dipping into your markets as such, have a few fav photographers who work is amazing !

Back