A few adjustments - opinions please

Gary

TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
as you may have noticed i dont crop or clone or adjust any levels on my photos, but they do tend to look a bit pasty compared to some others.
So as a test i've adjusted one of my photos from last weekend and i'd like your comments. cheers

gp4028.jpg

I prefer it to the original one you posted but seems a little bit over saturated IMO. The lighting looks much better though.

Exposure looks good, no blown highlights. Saturation looks ok for me but it is a subjective thing and also monitor dependant. I can't find the original to compare against, any chance of posting it in this thread to get a comparison?

Gary, as someone that is still very much an amateur motorsport snapper, one thing I like about your pics is that they always look so good. I am not being deliberately flattering here, I have spent the last 10 years looking at other peoples racing pics so have a lot to compare them to, and I rarely see a bad one from you. Yes, its nice to play with them sometimes, but I wouldnt be concerned if what you post here is what you take, straight from the camera, they are equal to any I have seen from Sutton or Lat guys.

As for the edit on this one, I agree, its possibly slightly over saturated, though does look very bright and [the cropped nose aside] would probably sell looking like that, framed, on a stall at any circuit event! ;)

Gary, as someone that is still very much an amateur motorsport snapper, one thing I like about your pics is that they always look so good. I am not being deliberately flattering here, I have spent the last 10 years looking at other peoples racing pics so have a lot to compare them to, and I rarely see a bad one from you. Yes, its nice to play with them sometimes, but I wouldnt be concerned if what you post here is what you take, straight from the camera, they are equal to any I have seen from Sutton or Lat guys.

As for the edit on this one, I agree, its possibly slightly over saturated, though does look very bright and [the cropped nose aside] would probably sell looking like that, framed, on a stall at any circuit event! ;)

congratulations. you are my new favourite TP'er :)

(and you actually cheered me up during what is fast becoming a really ***** day)

Seeing them side by side and apart from cropping the nose lol - you've bought the shot to life imo. It really needed the crop and the levels and saturation work you've done makes the shot more vibrant. The original looks like it was shot on a dull day, the retouch looks like the sun came out. Nice PP work Gary (y)

The "proccessed" version certaily does make more of the light and if you wanted pop, you've got it in spades.

Nothing wrong with the orginal either, if it was mine then perhaps it would have got a little tweak on the levels but it works either way.

The original looks like a different picture (not the same cars)

thats cuz they must deffo aint the same pic,

Edited one is a Viper, with 2 Porkies dont reconise the first but the last looks like the Confused backed car.

The unedited is a Viper followed by the Confused backed porkie withw the Tesco's backed Mossler ((sp) i think its a mossler)

Any despite that the edit works quite well to me, did you do anything other the levels? if so what?

I normally just adjust the black and white points, although like i you tend to try and get the historgram right location.

all i can say is LOLOLOL

OK, i see what i've done now. i took a photo i had already cropped and i had assumed i'd cropped the front, but it turns out it was the back i had cropped and the front was just out of frame! So i look a bit daft now :)

anyway i found the original:

gp4029.jpg

Any despite that the edit works quite well to me, did you do anything other the levels? if so what?

i added a little exposure, a little contrast, a little brightness.
then i added quite a bit of saturation and turned down the red saturation. If there had been more grass in the photo i'd have turned down the green too, as oversaturated dry grass just looks plain weird

Although they are different shots the lead car is the same and I have to say the difference is fantastic the pp'd one looks so much better, but I think it's just a bit overdone, the reds are just a bit too much for my liking

Gary, I think the edited one is possibly a little overdone on the saturation (on my monitor anyhow) - the red on the Porsche in particular (the lead car still looks ok :shrug:).
I think the original was very good anyhow and possibly just needed a levels tweek rather than saturation.

Good thread though, very interesting (y)

Rich

Back