A few birds from my website

Name
John Ingrouille
Edit My Images
No
All these shots were taken from my garden hide with a setup bird table approx 4-6 feet away depending on how I want the background to look, Before I have comments that these weren't taken in the wild i.e. walkabouts etc is because I am wheelchair bound so mostly they have to be done in the garden. I have put old logs etc to make it look more natural, I also position it so as the sun can give catchlight and details are seen in the eyes.

All shots are taken while sitting in my hide and always use a monopod also most are taken at F8/9 because the DOF using a long lens is very shallow even at 5/6 feet. I do very little cropping if at all so as to get maximum feather detail as possible and none of the birds are stuffed as was suggested in another posting I did. The reason the pictures are framed is because I view them mostly on a 60" TV and they just look so much better on TV like that although I accept perhaps not the best way to show them on a forum but I just don't want to change loads of pictures just to show a few on a forum so hope this doesn't upset too many viewers and that they understand why I have done it.
Anyway here are half a dozen or so, should anyone wants to see more of my work then just pop over to my website where I have about 4000 pictures range from wildlife to land/seascapes/planes and much more.

P1080074fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

DSC_0221fr2 by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

P1050162fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

P1040733fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

P1040267fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

P1030775fr- by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

P1030341fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

DSC_0063fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

Hi John,

These are all excellent and the detail is brilliant. I think you misunderstood in the other post...nobody was suggesting they WERE stuffed, just that they look to be processed in an unusual way which made them look different to how we usually see them on here. As you said though, you're not doing anything to them in post.

Regarding the hide/walkabout, these would still be classed as wild and I don't think anybody on here would say otherwise. The vast majority of us use hides at some time or another so I don't think this takes away from the images in any way.

As I said an excellent set and I look forward to seeing more.

very impressive detail John ..........a lot of your "bird" shots seem to be manual focus presumably with focus confirm?

M4/3 at low shutter speeds really works ........ I was never able to get images that sharpe at those speed with a M43 body

crops and space around the birds are very personal and you have your own style

I can see your style and composition ......... my preference would be just to give (some) a little more space and were they are central to change this

but very good images to post in the section which gives us all "food for thought"

taken and presented with care and attention - quality images

(interested to see you say that you are 4 to 6 feet away from your subject - you must be a MFD for most of the lenses that you use? - do you use extension tubes)

Last edited:
Hi John,

These are all excellent and the detail is brilliant. I think you misunderstood in the other post...nobody was suggesting they WERE stuffed, just that they look to be processed in an unusual way which made them look different to how we usually see them on here. As you said though, you're not doing anything to them in post.

Regarding the hide/walkabout, these would still be classed as wild and I don't think anybody on here would say otherwise. The vast majority of us use hides at some time or another so I don't think this takes away from the images in any way.

As I said an excellent set and I look forward to seeing more.

I mentioned that with a tongue in cheek reply so no problems at all.
Kind regards John

Hi Bill No none were taken on manual focus all were single spot using burst shots on auto focus and to be honest with my hands I couldn't really manual focus quick enough. I fully agree about giving more space around the subject and I do very often but sometimes I like to study death detail which you can only really do by getting up close as in these shots

Here are a few examples:

P1090662fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

P1080607fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

DSC00503fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

P1060169fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

DSC_0185fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

P1050213fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

DSC_0426fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

DSC_0424fr by John Ingrouille, on Flickr

You get some stunner! Well done for to setup a successful garden hide your results are great and full of sharpness. Maybe the processing, special the dark vignetting won't suit everyone but it's good to see something different, plus you have your own very personal touch so after seeing 2 post i can tell a picture which is yours.

Out of interrest what is that very last bird? The yellow one with a black and red head.

I can't remember the name of the yellow bird, I took it on a trip to Chester zoo but I am sure it is not native to UK.
Many thanks for your comments
Kind regards
John

BTW a lot of what you think is vignetting is just the way I have cut the yellow bush behind and given just a little to the base so the picture gradually comes in although I do sometimes do shade quite a bit and if I am honest I think it comes from the old days when I was a professional portrait photographer 45 yrs ago (B/W Days!) when all portraits we taken with a vignette put in front of your lens so I probably stuck in my old ways when you were trained to bring your eye into the main subject, but I do accept that it is not done so much nowadays but old habits and all that :)

Last edited:
very impressive detail John ..........a lot of your "bird" shots seem to be manual focus presumably with focus confirm?

M4/3 at low shutter speeds really works ........ I was never able to get images that sharp at those speed with a M43 body

crops and space around the birds are very personal and you have your own style

I can see your style and composition ......... my preference would be just to give (some) a little more space and were they are central to change this

but very good images to post in the section which gives us all "food for thought"

taken and presented with care and attention - quality images

(interested to see you say that you are 4 to 6 feet away from your subject - you must be a MFD for most of the lenses that you use? - do you use extension tubes)

Sorry I forgot to say No I don't use any tubes I only use for birds now is M4/3rds with either 40-150 Pro + 1.4 TC or mainly Leica 100-400mm. All my gear now is M4/3rds as I need it a light as possible but I also have a Sony R10 Mk3 which is a 1" sensor but a stunning Leica Fixed lens as good as any top end lens which is 24-600mm. Many of the pictures on my site were taken with that camera especially the Scottish shots.
Regards John

Lovely set of images and answered my questions for me;) thanks.

This set is certainly more impressive than the other thread!

They look a lot more natural, maybe oversharpened or more than I'm used to seeing, but definitely better IMO (y)

Do you by any chance have some pictures of birds you have taken so I can get a better idea go how you prefer P&P work done on your pictures, a website maybe? As you seem to have a lot of knowledge with birds.
Regards John

Do you by any chance have some pictures of birds you have taken so I can get a better idea go how you prefer P&P work done on your pictures, a website maybe? As you seem to have a lot of knowledge with birds.
Regards John

Haha, let's not get off on the wrong foot John. There was no nastiness to my comments and I don't want you to feel like you're being attacked personally about your photos

I'm saying to you how I see them as a viewer, that's all (y)

Since you're asking, I prefer the usual PP style, erring on the natural side of images. Not something that looks un-natural - like zombie birds! :D

Not wanting to hijack your thread, this is just my style, hope you like (even if they do look like millions of others on the web!) :)

Canada Goose Reflection by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Collared Dove by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Mallard 300 F4 w/ TC 1.4ii Test by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Blackbird - Male by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Last edited:
Haha, let's not get off on the wrong foot John. There was no nastiness to my comments and I don't want you to feel like you're being attacked personally about your photos

Since you're asking, I prefer the usual PP style, erring on the natural side of images. Not something that looks un-natural - like zombie birds! :D

I am sorry you felt like this as I was asking for advice and in no way being nasty or anything of the sort you came across as a very knowledgeable person with what seems like very sensible suggestions and there is nothing better a learning by seeing others work. I don't see what I have put in my last comments that meant we were getting of on the wrong foot and I certainly didn't think you or anyone else for that matter was attacking me in fact I have had nothing but very pleasant remarks from yourself included so all I asked was if you had a website or pictures that I could take notes on. Just as a matter of interest do you use a FF? the reason I ask is because I used to use a Canon 1DX and when I moved over to M4/3rds images seem to have an over sharpened look possibly because of DR and the amount of enlargement require for a given size compared to FF. And I am genuinely asking the questions to you as you were one of the few that gave constructive criticism, you cant really learn from someone that might just say WOW or similar. So before you go off thinking we have started "off on the wrong foot" just stop and read what I asked and think why I asked you and nobody else. So as I asked before do you have a website or pictures so that I get a better idea. Please don't read into things that aren't there I simply was asking advice from someone who seemed to know what they were saying ....OK?
Regards John

Not wanting to hijack your thread, this is just my style, hope you like (even if they do look like millions of others on the web!) :)

Many thanks for showing me your work, I love the first one with the near perfect reflection and I do take on board what you are saying, I also think there might be something in the difference between FF which you use compared to M4/3rds which doesn't hold together as well as FF which BTW I would rather use but my medical condition put paid to heavy gear as I had used for many years. The reason I mentioned sensor size with regards to apparent sharpness is because I also use a Sony R10 Mk3 which is an outstanding camera but of course only used a 1" sensor and I have noticed the same shots taken as exactly the same conditions ( I sometime double up on an important shot in case anything happens to the main camera) and have noticed up to certain sizes can appear sharper I say appear but the are not really it's just your having to enlarge more to get the same size and indeed can very easily look over sharpened whereas if I had done the same shot with FF all would much smoother. I am not saying for one moment that I tend to go on the sharpen side of things because I do that's just me but when I have looked a shots taken of birds etc from my FF days the picture certainly have a smoother look where as for want of a better word the M4/3rds tern to look harsher by comparison

Here are a few of mine taken from FF to show what I mean
https://flic.kr/p/p9qsxN
https://flic.kr/p/p9o6wA
https://flic.kr/p/poQVzj
Kind regards and many thanks for sharing.

Many thanks for sharing, I did try to send you some I did a few years ago with my Canon 1Dx to demonstrate what I was saying but somehow I screwed up sending anyway I love the first one with the near perfect reflection ....excellent.
Kind regards John

PS just noticed they ere on my previous reply but you near to click on the link in the extended part of the reply.....sorry still new to this!! DOH

Last edited:
Really like your style on these shots. It is something for us or me to aim for in this section of our hobby.

Really like your style on these shots. It is something for us or me to aim for in this section of our hobby.

Many thanks for your kind remarks, very much appreciated, I do understand that they might not be to everyones liking as they are intended as close study of birds details and not taken at a distance for example in a bush to look more natural were you can't see they beauty that close up shots can only do to show the fine feather details etc.

Cracking set of images John it's so good to see your dependance of a wheel chair doesn't stop you from enjoying your hobby/pastime.
Keep the Images coming (y)

Many thanks for your comments I don't like harping on about my condition but it certainly does hamper a lot of my photography to the point I can only take landscapes ect from or within a few feet of my car and birds from my hide in my garden so you tend to be very limited in the type of birds, but I can go to zoo's and can use my mobility scooter as I call it but I do try my best in fact in January a drone company are bringing out a 1' sensor camera drone so I will be able to do landscapes and many other subjects from a different perspective and operate it from either my car or scooter so I am looking forward to that. I am aware there are drones that will take a DSLR but they are very costly and even the one I am going to get cost £2000 the others are around £4/5000 which is way out of my pocket size!

Once again many thaks for your kind comments.
Regards John

Love your work John refreshing to see a different processing style which I really like, keep posting please :clap:

John,so much to admire in you good sir. first up your attention to detail and the obvious knowledge of this image crafting lark. Second the determination to keep crafting while things get tough,is of huge credit to you. FAIR PLAY !! Mate, please stick around folks like me :rolleyes: might learn from you maybe some will come back too for you i'm sure it will. :)

John i'm a basket case at this time please forgive,doing long long hours ,there is a guy in america Alan arrggghhh I'll find him,bare with me:oops: :$. whose work you need to see. He uses backgrounds to control flight paths ,well they are wild:D to a degree anyway, This might not be an option for you but he might have some ideas you can explore,Buddy i'm just learning have nowt to teach you about using a camera,I know that already.

I like your style John,for me you have applied your portrait skill set to birds

John, a thought: with a model i'd guess one would try to bring a personality out.(I don't know john utterly no interest in making picture of people weird huh:D)..... how can you explore that more? how can you grab more emotion, I guess more accurately behaviourrs? To me the image that captivates me,(besides them all being cool;)) is the blue tit feeding,second up rob, the inquisitve one. But most of the rest are incredibly beautifully well executed portraits,they don't move me the same John, A birds face isn't as expressive as ours john I'd love you to keep this style and add the aforementioned in

Love the ethos behind these images john .....a guy trying despite sh*t happening like the detail of a craftsman too,,good for you :cool:

Take care

Stu

John,so much to admire in you good sir. first up your attention to detail and the obvious knowledge of this image crafting lark. Second the determination to keep crafting while things get tough,is of huge credit to you. FAIR PLAY !! Mate, please stick around folks like me :rolleyes: might learn from you maybe some will come back too for you i'm sure it will. :)

John i'm a basket case at this time please forgive,doing long long hours ,there is a guy in america Alan arrggghhh I'll find him,bare with me:oops: :$. whose work you need to see. He uses backgrounds to control flight paths ,well they are wild:D to a degree anyway, This might not be an option for you but he might have some ideas you can explore,Buddy i'm just learning have nowt to teach you about using a camera,I know that already.

I like your style John,for me you have applied your portrait skill set to birds

John, a thought: with a model i'd guess one would try to bring a personality out.(I don't know john utterly no interest in making picture of people weird huh:D)..... how can you explore that more? how can you grab more emotion, I guess more accurately behaviourrs? To me the image that captivates me,(besides them all being cool;)) is the blue tit feeding,second up rob, the inquisitve one. But most of the rest are incredibly beautifully well executed portraits,they don't move me the same John, A birds face isn't as expressive as ours john I'd love you to keep this style and add the aforementioned in

Love the ethos behind these images john .....a guy trying despite sh*t happening like the detail of a craftsman too,,good for you :cool:

Take care

Stu

Hi Stu,

First I am glad you like my work it makes it all worthwhile funny should mention portraits of people because before I retired due to health reasons I owned UK's largest "Home portrait business" back in the 70-80s running 34 staff and doing about 300 sittings per week and they were not like school portraits but high quality one taken with backgrounds/props/ etc etc etc and done to a very high standard with an average sale of £130 even back in those days. We had a team of telly sale people booking running about 10 photographers and of course lab staff in fact we also did printing for other photographer and anything bigger than 10x8 for a firm called True Print (if your from UK you probably heard of them as they were a very large concern) d also they were in the next building to us which was convenient. I started all that as a one man band two many years before I expanded which was due to heath conditions and was unable to continue doing by myself so I expanded, below is an example of the work I used to do and this was one of the last I took myself. This is probably the reason I continue in a portrait style.
Anyway have a look and also I have about 4000 other pictures I have taken over the years some are just very old BW pictures I have copied for me ....family etc.
Kind regards John

https://flic.kr/p/p9pwWQ Just click on this link. The quality is not that great as it was copied from a small print and taken with film so it looses a bit but never the less gives you an idea.

Any bird in your garden is just as wild as anything in the woods unless of course you are keeping them in a cage :)

I do like the first set on the thread although some are rather tight in the frame and with all of them the frames dominate the shots taking attention from your subjects. I am not one for frames of any kind unless they are around a print and hung on the wall but sometimes a simple narrow black border is useful to hold an image together

Stan

Any bird in your garden is just as wild as anything in the woods unless of course you are keeping them in a cage :)

I do like the first set on the thread although some are rather tight in the frame and with all of them the frames dominate the shots taking attention from your subjects. I am not one for frames of any kind unless they are around a print and hung on the wall but sometimes a simple narrow black border is useful to hold an image together

Stan

Hi Stan

Thanks for your comments Stan, you know it's a funny old thing perception isn't it some people prefer the first lot while others say the second lot are better, some love frames others hate them and some like the shading again others say I have ruined the photo, it's a bit like asking someone what is the very best colour and you will get hundreds of different answers,nobody can ever get it all right so in the end all you can do it do is what one likes best and learn little bits here and there as you go along. TBH with I have been doing frames with a script that puts the exif details on because when I leave it off my smart TV won't show the images so I started doing the frames so I could see the exif but now I use a Flickr site I don't need to as Flickr shows exif and TBH it's a pain in the .... doing frames on all of them so I am getting fed up with them so will start leaving them off (that will keep you happy for one HaHa ;-) ) and I agree with all you said.

Kind regards John

Back