A few from my rediscovered Kodachrome slides

Edit My Images
Yes
I came across my inherited collection of slides (My dad took everything on slide film until his later years) in the cupboard from 1977/1978 and decided to scan a few more then realized they were on the Famous Kodachrome (was Kodachrome expensive ?) Unfortunately as my scanner is a cheap naff unit I'm not sure if the scanner is killing any quality in the slides. I'm guessing the camera was a Russian Lomo Cosmic 35, My dad seemed to love Russian things and I'm not sure whether this was because they were cheap ( he was a cheapskate like me) or whether the cold war Russian thing intrigued him ?

Here there are anyway

South of Westward Ho looking North across the Town 1977

PICT0007.JPG

These are from Isles of White 1978 I can remember going there on a coach trip and once from the Midlands by car spending the day there then driving home (yuk)
PICT0018.JPG PICT0019.JPG PICT0025.JPG

Last edited:
(was Kodachrome expensive ?)

It was a a very popular film so Kodak kept a rigid price
structure at the time, Brad.

Now I remember the red based Kodachrome and
why I was a blue based Ektachrome addict just
before I was converted to green based Fujichrome!

I owned a Cosmic Symbol in the late 70s to mid 80s, and TBH those images are pretty fair for what was not an impressive camera. In fact, so modest was it's image forming ability that it was a key factor in driving me to actually buy my first SLR.

What you can just about perceive in your photos above is the 3D effect you got with Kodachrome, I loved that film, especially when projected in a darkened room.
The excitement as you sent it away and the climactic anticipation when you saw the delivery of the returned slides.
Wonderful stuff.

Kodachrome 64 was my "go to" emulsion until swapping to digital. Lovely film:)

GC

It wasn't the Symbol he had it was the earlier 1960's Cosmic 35 , he brought me one of these (my kids later destroyed it) and my mom and sisters had the later cosmic 35m which had the symbols on the shutter settings but the shutter button was on the top rather than the front like on the Symbol. The 35 I had shutter speeds on the lens which I never understood , then I had a brain wave and copied the symbols from my sisters camera onto a small piece of paper and stuck it on the inside of the camera case, this worked a treat ! I was a well please 10ish year old. I have been using my moms later 35M with good results but have today brought an earlier 35 to match my childhood camera from eBay, there seems a lot of them about. As a kid it used to surprise me that all these Russian things (my dad had various Russian things ) seemed to be here in the UK bearing in mind Russia was the enemy, or at least this is what I heard on my dads other hobby, radio ! ( He was a radio operator in the Royal Artillery). Me and him used to build Shortwave radios and I used to listen to the voice of Russia/ Voice of America and compare their stories on the same News subjects and see how much they hated each other. Anyway back to cameras I'm looking forward to getting the camera and running some film through it ! I'll post them up when I do.

All I know about Kodachrome is that it was a great song by Paul Simon!

Great pics by the way, they must bring a few memories back...

Chris

I love looking at other people's old photos. Always interesting.

Isn't there a Kodakchrome movie out with Ed Harris?

Yep. It's called "Kodachrome" and it's on UK Netflix. Strangely I was just starting to watch it. How weird is that.

Wikipedia says (and in this instance I have no reason to doubt them): "On June 22, 2009, Kodak announced it would no longer manufacture Kodachrome film and cited declining demand.[5] During its heyday, many Kodak and independent laboratories processed Kodachrome, but by 2010, only one Kodak-certified facility remained: Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kansas.[23] On July 14, 2010, it was announced[24] that the last roll of Kodachrome manufactured had been developed by Dwayne's for photographer Steve McCurry, a National Geographic photographer. McCurry had asked Kodak for the last roll in stock, then went out on his own to use that roll.[25] Although McCurry retains ownership of the slides, prints of the 36 slides are permanently housed at the George Eastman House in Rochester, New York[24] and most of the pictures have been published on the Internet by Vanity Fair magazine."

As we're learning with Fujinotfilm now, it's possible that production had actually stopped some time earlier.

We should have a post your Kodachromes thread
Even if you never shot any yourself, most family slide collections contain a few kodachromes..:)

Well I've always like this Kodachrome taken about 45 years ago and looks great projected onto a wide screen....Pentax 55mm f1.8
bIdAxO3.jpg

Didn't the cost of Kodachrome include processing?

Didn't the cost of Kodachrome include processing?
As I recall yes. I certainly remember the Kodak yellow envelope for its return for processing...........the lab was in Wimbledon SW19.

The processing was unique compared to "standard" slide film, the processing for which was available more widely.

Last edited:
It was different in the US - an antitrust suit back in the 50s had broken Kodak's monopoly on processing, and it was sold like any other film. There were once quite a few independent labs that could handle it, and Kodak even developed a dedicated minilab for the unique process. Dwayne's was the last lab standing in the US, and eventually the world. When Kodak closed the lab in Wimbledon, and later the last European lab in Lausanne, pre-paid UK Kodachrome went to Dwayne's in the US via the Swiss address.

My last roll of Kodachrome went to Dwaynes to be processed, getting the little yellow box of slides back for the last time was still exciting but tinged with sadness. Kodachrome was the first slide film I used and that roll still contains one of my favourite ever shots. I'm pretty sure a roll, including processing, was something in the region of £7-8 back in the early 80's, that was a big chunk of my disposable income back then and if you were to work that out including inflation it would be approximately £28-32 today. Makes that potential Kodachrome Kickstarter campaign look pretty viable to me :D

O.k stupid question but was Kodachrome only a slide film ?

O.k stupid question but was Kodachrome only a slide film ?

No such thing as a stupid question........................only unanswered ones and in this case KodaChrome was only slide film :) AFAIK there were two ISO (or ASA in old speak ;) ) but the only one I recall was ASA 64

Last edited:
Thanks Box Brownie , My question answered

Your welcome.

It just struck me that I think I recall the other speed was ASA 25....................scratches head, not sure as that seems darned slow ~ surmise others will also chip with the data :)

It was available in 25, 64 and 200 in 35mm. I believe there was another speed also (80) for Super8.

It makes me sad that I never got to and probably never will get to shoot it myself.

It was available in 25, 64 and 200 in 35mm. I believe there was another speed also (80) for Super8.

It makes me sad that I never got to and probably never will get to shoot it myself.

Ah! cine cameras.................the smell of the Super 8 carts was something to savour................the wait & arrival of the reel and the ritual of getting the projector out, screen up lights off and watch the movie ~ those were the days. We even got into splice editing ........really does take me back..................................

Ah! cine cameras.................the smell of the Super 8 carts was something to savour................the wait & arrival of the reel and the ritual of getting the projector out, screen up lights off and watch the movie ~ those were the days. We even got into splice editing ........really does take me back..................................

Those still are the days. I've shot Super 8 in Iceland and California in the last couple of years. :)

I have, although I don't wanna hijack the thread about Kodachrome. :)

Fair and proper comment. By all means PM a link as it would be interesting to how it/they look following digitisation ~ now that reminds of telecine convertor method of TV companies transmitting 35mm & 70mm film stocks in the days before video.............technology has always fascinated me :)

The original Kodachrome as I recall was 10 ASA; Kodachrome II was 25. I think that the name changed when Kodak introduced the superspeed variants, and we had 25 and 64. I only used the 25 ASA version. To be honest, I've never found a slide film I prefer - I don't use slide film any more.

I only ever bought a single roll (64) and never actually used it, to my considerable regret. When I shot transparency it was usually Agfa 50, but for the life of me I can't remember why.

I only ever bought a single roll (64) and never actually used it, to my considerable regret. When I shot transparency it was usually Agfa 50, but for the life of me I can't remember why.
I think Agfa greens were better for landscapes, plus the slides came back in plastic mounts rather than the cardboard ones that Kodak used for years. Agfa may well have had a price advantage as well, and I certainly used Agfa CT18 and CT21 at that time.

I was eventually given some rolls of Kodachrome at work when they were found to be well out of date as well as being stored in a heated office. :rolleyes: They were pretty much fine, although some of them came back looking a bit strange I recall. This one was the view from the field alongside my house before they built it up. :mad:

261061-b5cf80fa23d9f7f9.jpg

Kodachrome
Kodak began researching color imaging in its laboratories as early as 1910, and experimented with a number of color processes; but none had proved fully satisfactory (although one primitive two-color process did give rise to the first use of the name "Kodachrome").
Kodachrome as we know it was first marketed in 1935 as 16 mm cine film. ( so it is the same age as me......)

Last edited:
I think Agfa greens were better for landscapes, plus the slides came back in plastic mounts rather than the cardboard ones that Kodak used for years. Agfa may well have had a price advantage as well, and I certainly used Agfa CT18 and CT21 at that time.

I was eventually given some rolls of Kodachrome at work when they were found to be well out of date as well as being stored in a heated office. :rolleyes: They were pretty much fine, although some of them came back looking a bit strange I recall. This one was the view from the field alongside my house before they built it up. :mad:

View attachment 129494

Well I agree that Agfa was good on greens, but the Kodak cardboard mounts were handy in that they printed the date of dev on them.

Of course if you have un-developed Kodachrome today, it can only be processed as black and white. I have no idea whether you get a negative or positive (transparency/slide) as a result!

Nothing to do with Kodachrome but here are a few pics of my newly acquired Cosmic 35 (it arrived today) the same camera that was used for the found Kodachrome slides I originally posted.

100_1117.JPG 100_1132.JPG 100_1137.JPG 100_1140.JPG

PS it cost me £2.90 !

Last edited:
I came across my inherited collection of slides (My dad took everything on slide film until his later years) in the cupboard from 1977/1978 and decided to scan a few more then realized they were on the Famous Kodachrome (was Kodachrome expensive ?) Unfortunately as my scanner is a cheap naff unit I'm not sure if the scanner is killing any quality in the slides. I'm guessing the camera was a Russian Lomo Cosmic 35, My dad seemed to love Russian things and I'm not sure whether this was because they were cheap ( he was a cheapskate like me) or whether the cold war Russian thing intrigued him ?

Here there are anyway

South of Westward Ho looking North across the Town 1977

View attachment 129285

These are from Isles of White 1978 I can remember going there on a coach trip and once from the Midlands by car spending the day there then driving home (yuk)
View attachment 129286 View attachment 129287 View attachment 129288
What a beautiful colours. Must have been nice memories after scanning those. Unique look. Just started shooting film again.

Back