A few from over the long weekend (last few added)

cuthbert

Pugh Pugh Barney McGrew Me Dibble and Grubb
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
hello everyone,

had a lovely long weekend with the family, the weather just about held out and we were able to get out and about with the camera and have a few nice walks.

All shot with the 135 f2, except 5 which was shot with the Sigma 85 1.4 at f1.6.

c+c as always very welcome.

7156212433_4b5e11a63e_c.jpg

7345988312_762f2a58c5_c.jpg

7160850351_7e54209c21_c.jpg

7156213463_99d377fcc1_c.jpg

7341415850_32f2b8ff66_c.jpg

7156212917_0770efccab_c.jpg

Last edited:
All nice but 3 & 4 work well. You certainly have got a nice style with your shooting.

7156216163_9c6e2976fd_c.jpg

7156210509_87ea435317_c.jpg

7341417872_0438d7cb49_c.jpg

7345989132_9b333d4815_c.jpg

7156214825_3e176557ca_c.jpg

7345988746_9b338c0775_c.jpg

Thanks Tom :) i settled on trying to keep posing to the minimum and letting them be themselves, i love seeing and capturing the intangible inner joy that only children seem to posses on their chubby little faces.

Good set but 3 and 5 are the picks for me, lovely images and great dof.

Wow, lovely set of images! I wish I could just get one image of my daughter as good as any of those let alone a whole set.

I was wondering how light up the subject so well and get the light so natural looking? Is it a case of fill flash from a on camera flash gun? I would love to know as it will hopefully help me in future (y)

My fave's are 3, 5 & 8 by the way!

All great pictures, well done! 2,3,8,10 & 12 are the best ones for me but I really like them all. 8 & 10 are my top two.

Must say that all of them are brilliant. You have a really great way of capturing great photos, I love them all but the one on the bridge with both of them is the best. Really captures the joy of kids. :)

Fantastic images, i think you have really captured the joy of childhod in these, so simple yet very effective

Tezz450D said:
Fantastic images, i think you have really captured the joy of childhod in these, so simple yet very effective

Plus one , beautiful photos mate.

I don't normally comment on kiddy photos as too many of them are family snapshots. These definitely don't fall into this category. Great set and I agree with the sentiments of the previous comments.

Thanks again everyone for all your nice words.

I was wondering how light up the subject so well and get the light so natural looking? Is it a case of fill flash from a on camera flash gun? I would love to know as it will hopefully help me in future (y)

When I'm out and about I normally use just a popup silver reflector because it's quick and easy and gives a nice soft fill of light, i get the reflector as far back as possible so it doesn't look like i'm shining a torch in their face and they are lit evenly (unless i want something more directional then i move closer). i'd say a popup reflector is a must have accessory for portraits, even on a dull day it will give the shadows a lift.

Great set of images cuthbert. You always seem to be able to find good backgrounds for your pictures and the subjects are perfectly captured too. I like the black and white conversions. What is your workflow for converting to black and white?

Really nice Mark, they are all so nice but i like the proccessing in 12. Lovely memories, i always look forward to viewing your work.

When I'm out and about I normally use just a popup silver reflector because it's quick and easy and gives a nice soft fill of light, i get the reflector as far back as possible so it doesn't look like i'm shining a torch in their face and they are lit evenly (unless i want something more directional then i move closer). i'd say a popup reflector is a must have accessory for portraits, even on a dull day it will give the shadows a lift.

How do you manage to man-handle the reflector (is it big?) whilst also taking picture of moving children?! Or is the reflector only used for posed shots?
I've noticed a distinctive skin tone in a few of the sets you've shared on here, I'm now thinking that it's due to the silver reflector.

wOw Mark, stunning photo's. I like them all, but for me no.8 is simply brilliant, I'd get a large 20"x16" print done for a wall and be proud.

GREAT images, well captured!

(p.s. the Canon 135mm f/2 is my next lens purchase).

How do you manage to man-handle the reflector (is it big?) whilst also taking picture of moving children?! Or is the reflector only used for posed shots?
I've noticed a distinctive skin tone in a few of the sets you've shared on here, I'm now thinking that it's due to the silver reflector.

I was also wondering this? I assumed use of a reflector would require a 2nd person / a staged pose, but your pics seem perfectly natural Mark.

Absolutely top drawer.

thanks again everyone for your lovely comments.

As far as holding a reflector and shooting goes, I am very fortunate that my wife takes an active interest in helping me achieve the shots - in this thread here i describe pretty much what happens and with the processing, again very very simple and i did a screen grab here in this thread.

but i'm always experimenting with new types of processing and i treat each image as an individual so my processing varies for each one, i know some people say it can make them look inconsistent, i don't mind that. i'm not building a wedding album or anything. if i was processing a sequence of images taken at the same time/locations with only different expressions or compositions i would process the same (or probably would) but i do see each photograph as an individual piece, they'd never be all together in one place on the wall so it doesn't matter to me if the processing is different.

Love them all and particularly like the use of DOF in all of them. My faves are 4, 6, 8 & 10.

thanks again everyone for your lovely comments.

As far as holding a reflector and shooting goes, I am very fortunate that my wife takes an active interest in helping me achieve the shots - in this thread here i describe pretty much what happens and with the processing, again very very simple and i did a screen grab here in this thread.

but i'm always experimenting with new types of processing and i treat each image as an individual so my processing varies for each one, i know some people say it can make them look inconsistent, i don't mind that. i'm not building a wedding album or anything. if i was processing a sequence of images taken at the same time/locations with only different expressions or compositions i would process the same (or probably would) but i do see each photograph as an individual piece, they'd never be all together in one place on the wall so it doesn't matter to me if the processing is different.
Thanks for the links and for taking the time to help others - it's much appreciated!(y)

Good stuff again Mark, DOF works great on these, cant really add to anything that's already been said (y)

Does that 135mm ever come off the camera? :LOL:

Its a joy every time I open a thread of yours in this section Mark! You have 2 great kids and your pictures never fail to impress!

Thanks for sharing how you capture these images too!

I look forward to seeing your next outing! :D

Wonderful shots, thank you.

These are exactly the sort of images I wish I could get of mine :)

thanks again so much for all your lovely comments, i really appreciate all your feedback.

despite having this week off work, i think today was about the only niceish day so grabbed a few last pictures before we get back into the normal work routine, i would have thought a week off in june would have been a pretty safe bet for some pleasant weather. anyway, here are a few i got today.

those puppies have pretty much doubled in size since i photographed them last, a lot, harder to handle.

7359233906_7778581081_c.jpg

7174002361_4bc0e46a45_c.jpg

7174001713_8f682cbfeb_c.jpg

7174003507_cff1f6db22_c.jpg

7174004103_d405505282_c.jpg

7359232102_e8d43e628e_c.jpg

cuthbert said:
thanks again so much for all your lovely comments, i really appreciate all your feedback.

despite having this week off work, i think today was about the only niceish day so grabbed a few last pictures before we get back into the normal work routine, i would have thought a week off in june would have been a pretty safe bet for some pleasant weather. anyway, here are a few i got today.

those puppies have pretty much doubled in size since i photographed them last, a lot, harder to handle.

Sheer class! Love them all.

Back