A few from Skye and Glencoe

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
Was up in Skye for a few days and Glencoe (briefly passing through) where I encountered some testing conditions to say the least, I seem to have a penchant for timing my trips to Skye just the wrong side of great weather (it snowed solid as we were leaving lol)

Nevertheless I enjoyed a nice break with pals and managed to come home with a few decent images - you can read a blog on the trip here: https://lensdistrict.com/blog-1/2017/12/9/isle-of-skye-the-return

Elgol where the birds wouldn't bugger off:

Elgol by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

The Birds by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

And Glencoe on the way home were it tipped it down with snow but didn't have a lot of time to stop:
Silence by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

The second shot is prize-winning stuff! Also, good to see the wee Buachaile getting some love :)

I just love the way you "lose" your time! :cool::cool::cool:

The second shot is prize-winning stuff! Also, good to see the wee Buachaile getting some love :)
Cheers Nick aye the blurry birds seems to have gone down well, was a case of trying to stop fighting them really as they were fecking everywhere

I just love the way you "lose" your time! :cool::cool::cool:
Thanks very much kodiak

You're getting the hang of this photography lark, Stuart. Very, very nice :)

You're getting the hang of this photography lark, Stuart. Very, very nice :)
Thanks very much mate
I really don't mind the birds in the second. In fact, they add to the picture immensely.
It's by design ;) I like the image Scott I probably should add that, just for the most part they were a bloody pain it was a case of figuring out how to best accommodate them, thanks very much (y)

Last edited:
Wow, you've captured so much interest in the second picture - it feels like the picture is moving.

One is really nice. I like this composition a lot - I've done similar myself but cropped wider - this works though extremely well.

I like the composition of two but the birds - sorry they marr it for me.

Three is a nice conversion and a good take,

A lovely set, 2 is my pick, for being different as much as anything else. With or without the birds, it's a lovely image.

The Buachaille looks good too.

Much awesomage.

Wow, you've captured so much interest in the second picture - it feels like the picture is moving.

Nice set, but that 2nd shot is a cracker!

One is really nice. I like this composition a lot - I've done similar myself but cropped wider - this works though extremely well.

I like the composition of two but the birds - sorry they marr it for me.

Three is a nice conversion and a good take,

A lovely set, 2 is my pick, for being different as much as anything else. With or without the birds, it's a lovely image.

The Buachaille looks good too.

Much awesomage.

Two is very nice.
Thanks everyone

Great stuff Stuart #2 is amazing

Great photography - number two is epic !

Great stuff Stuart #2 is amazing

#2 would be superb without the birds but their inclusion seems to take it to another level. Great capture and a great eye.

#2 is outstanding.

A very enjoyable set despite horrible conditions

Two and three are excellent, the second being the best for me.
Thanks chaps much appreciated

Wow love the mention in the second photography with the bids and waves, did you plan to get the birds in frame or was it a case of them flying in at the right time?

Wow love the mention in the second photography with the bids and waves, did you plan to get the birds in frame or was it a case of them flying in at the right time?
Thanks yes the birds were circling in that area for some time as alot of dead fish had washed up so it was just a case of getting the shutter speed right

Thanks yes the birds were circling in that area for some time as alot of dead fish had washed up so it was just a case of getting the shutter speed right

Great way to tempt them in to frame, although not sure on if its practical to carry a huge box of dead fish every time I visit the beach ;) the Sharp to soft transition up the frame works really well as well, with the motion, definitely something to enter to the competitions and very different to the norm

Really liking these as a set, as well as individual images.
Looks like you overcame a lot of the 'battle of the elements' to attain some great work.
I can feel the cold from here...

I can only echo the others Stu, a lovely set with 2 being outstanding. Funny how the shot where you were getting annoyed by the birds turned into the top shot!(y)

I'm really impressed with your work Stuart. Each of these has their individual merits. No 3 in some ways reminds me of a very famous shot by a certain Ansel Adams!!
Thanks very much

Really liking these as a set, as well as individual images.
Looks like you overcame a lot of the 'battle of the elements' to attain some great work.
I can feel the cold from here...
Much appreciated

All 3 are spot on Stu, but the 2nd would be in my top 10 images of 2017, such a great shot!
Cheers mate, high praise indeed!

I can only echo the others Stu, a lovely set with 2 being outstanding. Funny how the shot where you were getting annoyed by the birds turned into the top shot!(y)
Thanks mate yeah frustration turned to inspiration thankfully

Really good images Stuart, the third is obviously well composed and great conditions. I'd clone the single bird out of the first one, and the second unfortunately there are too many to clone! I don't like seagulls and I wouldn't want them in the photograph. As already mentioned it is a very creative shutter speed and their inclusion is the sort of thing that will allow this image to win competitions I'm sure.

Very nice.
Thanks Jasmine

Absolutely unreal all 3 of them :)
Much appreciated Nick

Really good images Stuart, the third is obviously well composed and great conditions. I'd clone the single bird out of the first one, and the second unfortunately there are too many to clone! I don't like seagulls and I wouldn't want them in the photograph. As already mentioned it is a very creative shutter speed and their inclusion is the sort of thing that will allow this image to win competitions I'm sure.
Thanks Craig, the choice of leaving the lone bird in the first is obviously and artistic choice/for scale although would work as well without. Second one sadly the the seagulls were there the entire time for 2 hours straight so as I'd eluded to it was a case of working with what you're given.

Ooof - that bird shot from Elgol!!

Great set but he Elgol one is a stand out for me - love it.

I might have been tempted to clone a few of the birds out rm the top of the frame so they were all contained in the shot and it looked like your timing / luck was impeccable. Id be delighted with it.

Last edited:
Back