A few from todays car rig shoot - Classic VW Beetle

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Absolutely love these! Would love to know how these are done

Nicely captured and love the car..

Excellent stuff (y)

I've always fancied having a go at this, buying the rig is easy, finding someone with an expensive/interesting car to lone me is another matter! :D

What a wicked car, well worth the time and effort. Great shots too!

The rig is a DragonRig that we're currently developing.

Rig mounted on car via 2 uber large Manfrotto suction cups!
12342709_954318937976580_8924383541091927157_n.jpg

A rolling road shot before editing the pole out.
12075012_10153825418247053_7843581190267461029_n.jpg

The car is a brilliant subject and I think the processing is sympathetic, just not sure about the location.

I love the car (it has great "personality"), the processing and the moody grey sky but I am not crazy about the backgound.

The background is the owners car sales garage. The decal on the car door is the same as the one above the garage. He wanted the garage in the background as the images are to be used for promotional use ;)
Ok that makes sense for static shots, but blurred background with moving rig shots means the sign probably wouldn't be recognisable?

What's the location like at night? Depending on the lighting, I could see that location and car being really suited to some moody nighttime static shots.

Great shot Gareth. The subject is great too!

I I was being uber critical, the PP shows a halo to the left of the wind shield in both 2 & 3.

What price is the kit for this as last time I looked at car kits it was unfortunately too expensive for me to justify

The rig is a DragonRig that we're currently developing.

Rig mounted on car via 2 uber large Manfrotto suction cups!

A rolling road shot before editing the pole out.

Ok, so you're not going to be driving down the highway with this attached! LOL Very cool setup. I was picturing something very different but now I see my idea was not very bright.
I used to do a lot of panning shots when I raced motorbikes and got close to the same effect, but could really only go as low as 1/30 on the shutter and burst mode usually only produced 2 or 3 sharp ones out of 8. Obviously couldn't get any 'head-on' shots either ;) But then I didn't need to edit anything out.
I'll be following the progress of this.

Last edited:
Ok that makes sense for static shots, but blurred background with moving rig shots means the sign probably wouldn't be recognisable?

What's the location like at night? Depending on the lighting, I could see that location and car being really suited to some moody nighttime static shots.

It's how he wanted it, like the car was tearing around the garage and I think there's enough clarity in the sign to still make out the connection?

Great shot Gareth. The subject is great too!

I I was being uber critical, the PP shows a halo to the left of the wind shield in both 2 & 3.

What price is the kit for this as last time I looked at car kits it was unfortunately too expensive for me to justify

I looked at the RAW files and it's there so not a halo. Looking at the garage door openings in No.3 you can see that it lights up the same in the other garage door so it must be how the light falls on the side walls of the openings? In No.2 I agree that could do with toning right down! I'll get onto it!

Pricewise, we're looking at getting a complete package up and running so right now we can only supply the pole(s). We have a telescopic pole that's £250. The pole in the images, the one I used for these shots is a new prototype we're currently testing, price hasn't been confirmed yet!

It's how he wanted it, like the car was tearing around the garage and I think there's enough clarity in the sign to still make out the connection?

I looked at the RAW files and it's there so not a halo. Looking at the garage door openings in No.3 you can see that it lights up the same in the other garage door so it must be how the light falls on the side walls of the openings? In No.2 I agree that could do with toning right down! I'll get onto it!

Pricewise, we're looking at getting a complete package up and running so right now we can only supply the pole(s). We have a telescopic pole that's £250. The pole in the images, the one I used for these shots is a new prototype we're currently testing, price hasn't been confirmed yet!

Cheers Gareth - sorry for pixel peeping!! :D

Thanks re the prices - I'll keeping on thinking and weighing it up! (y)

The background is the owners car sales garage. The decal on the car door is the same as the one above the garage. He wanted the garage in the background as the images are to be used for promotional use ;)

That is what I thought to be honest as I noticed the decal on the door and so it makes perfect sense.

Fair enough you've produced exactly what he wanted then.once you've pointed out the connection it becomes more obvious. Loving the poles and developments.

great shots Gareth, so exciting seeing the first examples with the new DragonRig, looking forward to seeing more of what you do with the rig!

Will you post them in the rig thread on here too? I will get you a link :)

Sammy

Love these, instantly noted the same logo on the building behind, so appreciated exactly what you were aiming for. Having said that I think they would be better without the cars parked in the background, then you have a really clean shot where the workshop stands out (they are particularly distracting in the head-on shot)

The rolling shots appeared on my Instagram today - I assume this isn't your account ?

Back