A few (newbie shots) from the bird table

Edit My Images
No
well.... the nut bag at least. I'm new to bird photography, just got a (broken) 28-300mm lens. No autofocus! :LOL:

It's certainly not easy. any top tips for getting good shots would be greatly appreciated.

sparrow.jpg

robin2.jpg

bluetit.jpg

Thanks for looking, cc welcome...

Here goes, and taking into account the gear you are using.

1. Decent shot, focus seems to be on the eye just a pity about the harsh light but a decent attempt.
2. Lovely posed Robin but you have plenty of scope with that one for PP so i would be looking at doing a lot of PP with that one mainly some USM, Curves etc. If you have the original i would like a bash at the full size version.
3. Hasnt really got anything going for it.

At 300mm you are going to have to be close, so some kind of hide or concealment will be neccessary. With manual focus the biggest challenge will be getting it focussed before they move again. If you have feeders set up they invariably land nearby before moving in so try and prefocus on that area.

Got to agree with the above comments, but its a good first go indeed, keep trying and I look forward to seeing some more from you (y)

I notice you're shooting at iso 100. You could easily get away with twice that with little additional noise, which would double your shutter speed and give you a better chance of freezing the action.

Thanks! I've basically put them in order of sharpest. They all have USM and curves and levels applied, the robin shot looked a lot worse than it does now i can tell you! I'll try and link you to the full size file but i'm not sure i know how to do that.

Noted about the iso.

a lot of my shots were like number 3 - waaaay blown out in the sky in the background with an underexposed bird/tree. I was wondering what metering settings you lot were using? I have my 400d set on Evaluative.

I had an idea - tell me if it's a load of rubbish - i was thinking of setting up an off camera strobe underneath the tree for some strobist bird action. Maybe putting a 24" softbox under there. is that crazy?

Back