Critique A few recent landscapes :)

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
A few shots from the last couple of months, not really posted anything here for a bit so they're a bit of everything :)

1 - Buachaille Etive Mòr from Beinn A'Chrulaiste
After a reasonably brisk early morning climb we were rewarded with the most amazing golden light! This is a 9 shot panoramic with each shot being a 5 shot bracketed HDR. A bit of a faff to process but came out nice (I think)

2 - Buttermere Reflections
Taken just last week on a 1-2-2 workshop I led in the Lakes. We had a fantastic day weather wise and the reflections early doors were just sublime :)

3 - Isleornsay Storm
Taken on the Isle of Skye on a workshop in March - prime shooting position for rainbows late on in the afternoon and luckily we were rewarded on this visit!

4 - Elgol at Dusk
Taken on the first evening of a trip to Skye with a special group of friends. We were treat to a beautiful display of colour as the sun dropped below the horizon

5 - Quiraing Dawn
After an hours drive to get up onto the Quiraing for first light we got literally 5 minutes of golden light before the sun hid behind the clouds!

6 - Glencoe at Dawn
This was the same day as the Elgol shot, just early in the morning. We were blessed with good weather so made the most of a bright but chilly morning :)

7 - The Bass Rock
Taken on a 121 workshop a few months ago, one of the last shots I took with my 6D (I slipped and fell in the river Aln in Northumberland later that day!)

Thanks for looking folks, let me know your thoughts :)

Nick

Last edited:

Cool set, Nick… love #3 & #6! (y)

Beautiful images, I love them all.

I was going to start a thread with some of my mediocre shots from a holiday but then saw the level we should be aspiring to. Simply stunning, every one of them. I've seen a lot of shots of Elgol but your's is the first where the foreground actually adds to the shot. Too often it is cluttered and messy but your composition is clean and neat, each rock stands clear. Super work.

Superb set Nick, I'm not even going to attempt to try and pick one individual shot...
The light and that tree in Quiraing Dawn is beautiful.
We have missed your input Nick don't be a stranger (y)

1 - Buachaille Etive Mòr from Beinn A'Chrulaiste
This is a 9 shot panoramic with each shot being a 5 shot bracketed HDR. A bit of a faff to process but came out nice (I think)

Did you do the 5-shot HDR*9-shot pano in Lightroom? I have toyed with this idea but never had a shot with enough DR to really need the HDR step. If you did use Lr, any tips or does "create 9 HDRs then merge into pano" get you to a decent starting place?

Fantastic shots my favourite is 2 for the reflection closely followed by 3 for the mood

Cheers Matt :) Appreciate it! The reflections were pretty good, best I've seen them there :) 3 as awesome as we had a group with us and they were all over the moon to photograph that.

Beautiful images, I love them all.

Thanks mate :)

Great shots. Hard to pick a favourite

Haha, cheers!

These are all excellent- my favourite is number 4

Thank you, I absolutely love Elgol, and this sunset was really really beautiful :)

Cheers :D

3&5 for me both excellent the others are also amazing

Thanks Danny :) appreciate the comments :)

All seriously good shots

Cheers fella, was gonna message ya when we shot the Buttermere one but then I realised you're still on your Facebook 'holiday' haha!

I was going to start a thread with some of my mediocre shots from a holiday but then saw the level we should be aspiring to. Simply stunning, every one of them. I've seen a lot of shots of Elgol but your's is the first where the foreground actually adds to the shot. Too often it is cluttered and messy but your composition is clean and neat, each rock stands clear. Super work.

Don't be daft! Everyone should share their photos it's the only way we get to see places that we might wanna visit and enjoy! Thanks for comments re the Elgol shot, I do struggle there to get clean shots and often come away frustrated but I think this is my most favourite shot I've taken there :)

Superb set Nick, I'm not even going to attempt to try and pick one individual shot...
The light and that tree in Quiraing Dawn is beautiful.
We have missed your input Nick don't be a stranger (y)

Cheers Steve, I'll try and post some more just always seem to process shots then forget about them :( The Quiraing shot was a real treat as the wind was mega strong and it was -6 degrees and we literally got 5 minutes of light lol :)

yes, all excellent in my eyes.

Thanks Mick :) appreciate it

Excellent set.

Thank yoooooooooo

Superb set, no 4 is my fave, I love water and seascapes.

Cheers Alan, I think it's my favourite of the lot too :)

Did you do the 5-shot HDR*9-shot pano in Lightroom? I have toyed with this idea but never had a shot with enough DR to really need the HDR step. If you did use Lr, any tips or does "create 9 HDRs then merge into pano" get you to a decent starting place?

It was a bit of a faff but he way i processed it was as follows .....
- I had 9 shots (compositions) in sequence each made up of 5 bracketed shots
- I merged each of the 5 shot sequences into individual HDR files
- Processed one then copied the settings to the rest of them for consistency
- Then I merged the 9 HDR files into a panoramic
- Exported as a Full resolution TIFF
- Opened in PS, added a bit structure in Nik Viveza and then cloned out a bit of lens flare and a few dust spots etc.

All great shots - number 5 is superb :)

Cheers Dave :) appreciate it :)

If anyone doubts that dedication, persistence and early starts pay dividends, then here's the answer.
Lovely work, No1 is spectacular
All are amazing, No3 stands out also.

A wonderful set of images Nick
I didnt have time to get somewhere for sunrise (after Night shift) on the morning of the Buttermere shot and I could tell I was mising out.

a fabulous set of photographs

Crikey what a set!

I really like 7 - The Bass Rock, they're juxtaposed in scale and their immediate background colour yet there's a synergy of texture and apparent size.

Back