16744533252_6806d69be5_z.jpg
[/URL]IMG_0999 by mortonstalker, on Flickr[/IMG]

rvE2Ym
16744518472_d3524fba93_z.jpg
[/URL]IMG_1099 by mortonstalker, on Flickr[/IMG]

rec5ew
16558194120_7b761cf300_z.jpg
[/URL]IMG_1111 by mortonstalker, on Flickr[/IMG]

Please don't apologise! As a rugby fan of some 35 years I don't generally have a problem following the game or isolating players and action. I liked the first one as an action shot, and knowing the game can see that he has just kicked the ball, admittedly to someone without that knowledge it maybe wouldn't be as interesting.
Do you not think that 2 shows the action? I like the facial expressions.

Having looked at some of your threads I can see that you also shoot some rugby and at a higher standard than myself, but to be honest I found your response a little disappointing. I do what I consider a reasonable job with the camera and lens that I have. I stood next to a guy at rugby on Saturday who had a lens and camera that cost in excess of £7000, plus another one slung over his shoulder, but he didn't look down on my little set up, he was very helpful and encouraging. I had hoped by coming on these boards i'd get similar constructive advice but it doesn't seem that way. I'm just a happy amateur!

Number 1 I would have thrown away, nothing interesting in it for me and an awkward crop with half a man in. Number 2 would have been much better from a lower angle, IMO you should sit down rather than shoot stood up. Especially at rugby where the action can be near the ground anyway. They could all do with a bit of straightening too and watch out for what's in the background, I hate to see chopped off heads. Just my opinions, hope they help!

Having looked at some of your threads I can see that you also shoot some rugby and at a higher standard than myself, but to be honest I found your response a little disappointing. I do what I consider a reasonable job with the camera and lens that I have. I stood next to a guy at rugby on Saturday who had a lens and camera that cost in excess of £7000, plus another one slung over his shoulder, but he didn't look down on my little set up, he was very helpful and encouraging. I had hoped by coming on these boards i'd get similar constructive advice but it doesn't seem that way. I'm just a happy amateur!

My intention was not to offend and I am sorry if I have come across in that way. I think number 2 would of been great if you shot it head on but I appreciate that it is not always possible. Do you stand at the side of the pitch or move around during the game? I personally sit behind the goal line and do miss a lot when players run into my shots but I always get a few that I like.
By the way I am a happy amateur too and still trying to improve my rugby shots. I find football much easier perhaps because I understand the game better. I think it is great that that guy was encouraging and helpful.
All I can say keep enjoying taking pictures at games and have fun.

Number 1 I would have thrown away, nothing interesting in it for me and an awkward crop with half a man in. Number 2 would have been much better from a lower angle, IMO you should sit down rather than shoot stood up. Especially at rugby where the action can be near the ground anyway. They could all do with a bit of straightening too and watch out for what's in the background, I hate to see chopped off heads. Just my opinions, hope they help!

Thanks for that, can I just ask about the straightening, I have actually straightened all of these, but what do you regard as not being straight. I was stood towards the corner flag and the fence runs along the pitch, posts are straignt on 1 and 3 so not sure what you mean? thanks

Looking at both of your profiles, especially Steven, I'm way out of my depth on this forum as far as equipment and experience. I was hoping that there would be a few more of a similar ability to me - everyone has to learn!

Please don't think because some of us have expensive equipment that we or in my case are any better than anyone else. The top kit helps but doesn't make me a better photographer.

I have always been pretty happy with my composition, particularly my rugby stuff, but when I look at stuff taken with a far more expensive kit the shots are always going to be sharper and more edgy. I wish I could afford at least a better lens but sadly not, I have my kit lens and a 55-250 which I use with my 50d - upgraded from 300d a few years ago. I didn't realise there were so many professionals on this site (not you Andrew), perhaps i'd be better off looking for something more my range. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them but really I'm just looking for something a bit more constructive within my range and ability.

If you look at the background's the line of the field etc they're a little bit wonky, not miles out but not straight. Not a huge issue just thought I'd try to help by pointing it out.

You are in no way out of your depth here! We're all still learning, I don't have half the equipment that some pro sports photographers have. All the stuff on my site is shot with a 70-200mm lens.

I had a look at your flickr and there's some great shots in there, it just takes a bit of time to get used to things like cropping, composition etc. there are lots of very friendly and helpful people on here, if you stick around and take their advice I have no doubt that your skills will improve a lot quicker!

Tracey, the only way you'll learn is by taking the critique and then learning from your mistakes. Accept the fact that you, like me, aren't a pro. If you were an expert your career would be sports photography.

I agree with the previous comments. Having the ball in shot is a must. Straighten your photos (sometimes difficult when non-pro grounds of all sports aren't always level in the first place!). Try not to crop people out of shots (see my Buxton FC photos in the forum for one where I did, but I'm not sure if it would be used if I was a pro?). No 2 & 3 being an example. I like no 3 but the guy at the top has been decapitated, can you do a wider crop?

Keep practising and study others.

YOU must be your worst critic.

But, MOST importantly, don't take it personally.

I've learnt shed loads from the people on here who do earn their living from sports photography.

If you look at the background's the line of the field etc they're a little bit wonky, not miles out but not straight. Not a huge issue just thought I'd try to help by pointing it out.

You are in no way out of your depth here! We're all still learning, I don't have half the equipment that some pro sports photographers have. All the stuff on my site is shot with a 70-200mm lens.

I had a look at your flickr and there's some great shots in there, it just takes a bit of time to get used to things like cropping, composition etc. there are lots of very friendly and helpful people on here, if you stick around and take their advice I have no doubt that your skills will improve a lot quicker!

Thanks for that Steven, I'm not saying better gear would make me a better photographer, I'd just like to find out - maybe one day i'll win the lottery!! If you could advise me, and money was no object, would it be a better camera, moving up to the sort of 1D range, or a better lens and if so, which lens? Thank you.

PS my flickr goes back a long way, the pro matches Hull KR, I used to shoot from the stands - sadly not allowed to do that anymore :(

Best not to be shooting from the stands anyway, better to be at a local game like you have been, to practice.

I don't really like giving equipment advice as I only have basic gear myself but I can tell you that I started out on a Canon 40D with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens. I then upgraded the body to a 7D and kept the same lens, then I upgraded the Sigma lens to a Canon 70-200, then upgraded my body again to 7D mk2. Now I'm trying to upgrade lens again! Haha. Some people would say to invest money in a good lens as they don't really get worse but camera bodies do improve over a few years. Though you can have a great lens on a crap body and still not be too happy with the results. The equipment section on this forum is a good place to ask about certain camera bodies and lenses or also on here if it's specifically sports related.

Hope this has helped!

Agree with Steven re glass. Depends on your budget, but as far as bodies go I'd look at 7d mkI or 1d MkIII as they've both come down in price hugely (£300-400). I had a mkIII and it blew me away as to how good it was, compared to the non-pro models. But i'm no expert.

Hi Trace, long time since we spoke (via net) just keep going, if you like it you'll improve and i know you have a deep seated love for the game

There's no need to get so defensive, back slapping and praise when it isn't deserved does nothing for a photographer except set them down the wrong path. If you've come on here to learn then take onboard what people are saying.

Pic 1 is without a doubt a throw away, if that's a conversion/penalty kick then the timing is all wrong. Try and get the ball in the frame, ideally, just after he's kicked it. As it is, he just looks like he's standing awkwardly.

Pic 2 would have been good but when you shoot team sports, ALWAYS crouch down. Never shoot standing up. As it is you're looking down on the players, and so it lacks drama.

Pic 3 is fine, although the player in the background is a little distracting with his head chopped off.

Pic 4 is the best of the lot, standard action shot. I'd have liked to see the next frame with the two players tackling the ball carrier though.

Keep practising and you'll improve, as long as you take on board constructive criticism. Your kit shouldn't be used as an excuse. I'm also a little surprised you chose those four pics to put up, when there are far better ones on your flickr page.

My only defensive post was in reply to the first response which provided no constructive criticism whatsoever. I seek neither backslapping or praise, just honest assessment, which you have provided and I appreciate. I do sit down if I have something to sit down on, I'm not someone who carries a massive amount of kit with me, I sit on the grass in summer. The first shot was a kick during the game not a conversion or a penalty, often get someone almost getting their head kicked off in these shots, just not in this one.

I was happy with those four shots and they were from my most recent game on Saturday, that was simply the reason I chose them.

I'm not using kit as an excuse as I don't think I need an excuse, like I say I was quite pleased with them and that was the reason I put them on here, don't post stuff often. That said, obviously the composition will always be the same, but more pricey kit is always going to give you a better quality picture.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best not to be shooting from the stands anyway, better to be at a local game like you have been, to practice.

I don't really like giving equipment advice as I only have basic gear myself but I can tell you that I started out on a Canon 40D with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens. I then upgraded the body to a 7D and kept the same lens, then I upgraded the Sigma lens to a Canon 70-200, then upgraded my body again to 7D mk2. Now I'm trying to upgrade lens again! Haha. Some people would say to invest money in a good lens as they don't really get worse but camera bodies do improve over a few years. Though you can have a great lens on a crap body and still not be too happy with the results. The equipment section on this forum is a good place to ask about certain camera bodies and lenses or also on here if it's specifically sports related.

Hope this has helped!

Bit the bullet and ordered myself a Sigma 70-200 f2.8, dealer did three year terms so able to afford rather than laying out a big sum, will be getting some practice in over the next few weeks :)

Hi just looked at some of your photo's and noticed 1/250 for action shots, you really need to up your shutter speed To 1/1000 this will help freeze the action & the f2.8 will help lot, keep at :)

Just re checked I think I need new glasses :) 1/1250 so disregard my early bit the new lens will help though.

Last edited:
I like the set , 1 & 5 just need straighten slightly. the lens makes a big difference. :) keep up the good work.

I have a question :) As you have been advised that your shots will look better from a lower angle.. why are you still standing and shooting... get lower for more dramatic shots ..

So you know they are wrong before you post them on here... try and remember your stool next time... makes a world of difference :)

Wrong composition as in taken from too high.. should be taken from lower down as advised.. its good advice and will improve your pics... OK you forgot the stool so couldn't take the advice but they are still taken with wrong or shall we say bad composition... lower is better.. high not so good..

hows that? :)

Sorry I just don't understand people on this forum. All I did was ask if my shots were better this week than last time. I explained why I still wasn't shooting from lower down on this occasion and you said they were just 'wrong'. Maybe if you'd said something like quality is better and would've been even better from a lower angle then I would have felt more encouraged. Never mind, like I said, thanks for the feedback, genuinely.

Stop being such a cry baby.. I didn't insult you or your pictures.. I tried to help..sorry you can't see that but never mind..

Taking the stool issue out of the equation! To me they are a definite improvement. Still need to straighten them up though, and watch the exposure. How is the new lens going?

Personally I'd try to take more shots of groups of players rather than solo shots. Nothing wrong with them, and they have their uses, especially if you're selling to the players and they want a nice shot of themselves. Just the group shots are more interesting.

Thanks Steven, I don't sell any of them, they're just for me really and the lads use them on the facebook pages and stuff. I did straighten them but there's a slight hill to the back of the pitch which made it quite difficult, the posts were straight but the ground level wasn't! I know I hold the camera wonky as I always have to straighten but I've started using my monopod now so hopefully that might help.

Do you mean group shots like this kind of thing?

IMG_1875 by mortonstalker, on Flickr

IMG_1884 by mortonstalker, on Flickr

IMG_1937 by mortonstalker, on Flickr

IMG_1955 by mortonstalker, on Flickr

Yea, I just meant images with more than one player in. Good stuff, just try to get the ball visible in shot too. Cropping is always difficult, but I just try to really focus in on the area of interest.

Nothing wrong with doing this as a hobby obviously but it's quite easy to set up selling your shots to the players for a few quid. Failing that, I'd be suggesting that for any players that wanted a photo they'd get me a beer in the clubhouse!

Back