A few shots from me - photo heavy

Name
Nikki
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there, as a newbie here I thought I would just pop a few photos up to give you an idea of the kind of stuff I shoot. It straddles several categories so hope this is ok here...
Hope you find something you like...87B809EC-ED8F-4C53-A989-231C3E91779D.jpeg167A2B5C-61D7-49CD-B4B7-5C61865EFF0C.jpegF221B6CF-5732-4997-8650-1FBCF1C5877D.jpeg29B1CBEF-7FD5-4FDE-A966-858EFA6614DD.jpeg0959DBDA-243B-455C-9CC2-D884F8334006.jpeg
871444D9-741D-49C5-9E4C-8465109A02C9.jpegC25799DF-C4DA-46DB-9A63-1139D5FF87E6.jpeg52E408CA-74FC-4A8D-AC4B-7884DAEE347E.jpeg

Sunset and hot air balloon are great. My favourite is the marble however.

In my preoccupation with the shots I missed that you are new here, welcome onboard fellow newbie!

There's quite a few to crit, so I'll just cover off a couple. :)

Spitfire - well exposed, great to have caught the pilot leaning out giving a thumbs up. Unfortunately a wingtip has been clipped and the lights behind are distracting & could have been 'lost' by crouching down before taking the pic.

The Les Paul (Epiphone?) is a difficult shot to get right because it needs very careful control of lighting to give the instrument shape and presence - others here can advise better than me. I'd probably have rolled the guitar a little more towards me and made sure it was absolutely clean too. If I were to try to recover this shot a little then I'd probably drop exposure a bit, up contrast too and try to darken the background while 'losing' creases.

Balloon shot doesn't seem to be in focus *as presented here*, and the clouds have been over-exposed losing detail. It's usually better to under-expose a little to retain cloud detail, then lift shadows to bring the balloon back.

Hope that's a little useful. :)

The guitar is well lit and you have avoided specular reflections, most guitar shots have the instrument stood up which brings all of it closer to the plane of focus.

The marble photograph is really good and the reflected clouds as a background works well. The difficulty with shiny spheres is that there is always a reflection of the camera, upper right in this case.

The river shot doesn't seem sharp and for me there isn't enough of the river wending its way into the distance to tell that story if that was what you were going for.

Last edited:
Welcome to our friendly forum- I am an avid guitar collector and they are not easy to photograph - I had a play with a few of mine photographically speaking with my
Gibson Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster and Gibson 335 to make my lad some posters for his bedroom- its all about the lighting for me :)

here.

Gibson Les Paul
YeHEVq5.jpg

Fender Stratocaster
kW5dPKl.jpg

Gibson 335- more in the style you posted- natural light and angle the guitar to suit the lighting- Office window
ez6z6C6.jpg

Gretsch Bell Brass blues guitar

zlSH4Ms.jpg

Enjoy the forum

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the critique, it’s much appreciated as it is how I will learn more. I will take it all on board definitely as I so want to improve my shots.

The Spitfire shot was a difficult one. It was at a night shoot however there were barriers to prevent us getting too close to the aircraft plus there were bright lights on the main apron of the airfield that I tried to hide behind the aircraft. The barriers meant I couldn’t get any lower to take the light out that you can still see.
The marble ones were actually paperweights! Had never done anything like it before and was bored during lockdown . A definite learning curve!!

As for the guitar ones, they were another bored lockdown effort. I took them with them laying on our bed whilst my hubby pointed the bedside lamp at them to try to light them!! Trying to get myLes Paul totally dust free is a nightmare. Being black it seems to show up every tiniest speck! @Lez325 I love your guitar photos, they are stunning! I have got my Epiphone LP, an Epiphone 339, a Telecaster, a Taylor acoustic, a 12 string and a steel resonator!!

Thanks again folks, your critique is much appreciated!

Thanks for coming back and responding Nikki - it's so nice when someone does that after asking for crit. :)

Guitars are simply difficult to light well because of the curves and in your case particularly, because they can show dust. You need to go relic it a little so the dust doesn't show among the dings and scuffs. o_O :exit: Like mine. :cool:

I seem to have very few guitar pics, but here's one of my old Kalamazoo Heritage H150 (traded for a Nikon D610 5 1/2 years ago).

Les Paul-05992.jpg

Most of my guitars seem older than most of the people I work with these days, although Les has a genuine '52 Esquire that puts my 70s and 80s stuff to shame.

I mostly play acoustic slide these days - finally got some gigs coming up in July and August.

Last edited:
Thanks for coming back and responding Nikki - it's so nice when someone does that after asking for crit. :)

Guitars are simply difficult to light well because of the curves and in your case particularly, because they can show dust. You need to go relic it a little so the dust doesn't show among the dings and scuffs. o_O :exit: Like mine. :cool:

I seem to have very few guitar pics, but here's one of my old Kalamazoo Heritage H150 (traded for a Nikon D610 5 1/2 years ago).

View attachment 321430

Most of my guitars seem older than most of the people I work with these days, although Les has a genuine '52 Esquire that puts my 70s and 80s stuff to shame.

I mostly play acoustic slide these days - finally got some gigs coming up in July and August.

Its for sale Toni if you fancy an upgrade £25,000 ( only kidding- I'll never sell it) :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I also have this Fender "Nashville" Telecaster in Lake Placid Blue with a middle pick up from a Stratocaster

Jtxqxsp.jpg

As for the guitar ones, they were another bored lockdown effort. I took them with them laying on our bed whilst my hubby pointed the bedside lamp at them to try to light them!! Trying to get myLes Paul totally dust free is a nightmare. Being black it seems to show up every tiniest speck! @Lez325 I love your guitar photos, they are stunning! I have got my Epiphone LP, an Epiphone 339, a Telecaster, a Taylor acoustic, a 12 string and a steel resonator!!

Thanks again folks, your critique is much appreciated!

Hi Nikki, I peresonally would use a car vacuum to remove dust before shooting it :) Black is always an issue if it's reflective

Keep at it- it gets easier

I made your Epiphone Les Paul into a poster - :) 10 mins in Photoshop 2021 hope you don't mind?

shh1ilZ.jpg

Inspired my my 1st ever Gibson guitar the iconic Gibson Flying V - sadly I sold this to to buy an amp :( made this to rememeber I had one lol

x2YxnPJ.jpg

Hi Nikki, I peresonally would use a car vacuum to remove dust before shooting it :) Black is always an issue if it's reflective

Keep at it- it gets easier

I made your Epiphone Les Paul into a poster - :) 10 mins in Photoshop 2021 hope you don't mind?

shh1ilZ.jpg

Inspired my my 1st ever Gibson guitar the iconic Gibson Flying V - sadly I sold this to to buy an amp :( made this to rememeber I had one lol

x2YxnPJ.jpg

My experience is the best kind of Gibson V is the one you just sold. :LOL:

I had one for a while and was happy to let it go. Possibly the coolest looking guitar I owned, but never sounded good, and as for construction quality...... :eek:

My experience is the best kind of Gibson V is the one you just sold. :LOL:

I had one for a while and was happy to let it go. Possibly the coolest looking guitar I owned, but never sounded good, and as for construction quality...... :eek:

I had mine for a year. I actually got more money for it than I paid.

It's not the greatest Gibson I have ever owned

I am going to have to join the guitar-photo clique. I have 6 plus a lovely mandolin, that'll be a winter project maybe.

I honestly find it hard to make a guitar look good.

I have photographed pedals that make them look interesting, but guitars….perhaps it's the size and that I can't make it stand up without a stand, it is much harder. Difficult to encapsulate a sense of movement or story when it's laid down. The brain just says….no.

hkeqH08.jpg

JOLKD7w.jpg

It's still like a guitar…laid down.

G75k4a4.jpg

Last edited:
Tut Tut Lez, England isn't an island
... but Great Britain is :)

Ok fair point :) but wrong in parts as Nth Ireland is seperated by water from us so not really

England -Scotland & wales are

Ok fair point :) but wrong in parts as Nth Ireland is seperated by water from us so not really

England -Scotland & wales are
Though NI is not a part of the island formerly known as Great Britain, hence “U.K. of GB & NI” ;).

Hi and welcome, Nikki. A nice collection. The marble is stunning, and I also like the balloon and plane shots. Never having seriously tried to photograph a guitar, I can't say anything about that one, except that it looks good to me. I hope you enjoy being here in the forums.

Back