A few shots over the weekend... comments welcomed!

Name
Col
Edit My Images
No
Hi, after a couple of days without rain (must be a leap year) managed to have a play around with my new 750.
Looking hard at the shots at 100% my focus doesn't seem to be pin sharp, a long way off to be honest. I'm presuming (a) camera shake or (b) my eyes are going. I used a tripod for all shots, around 1 second and up to f22 but not as clear/clean as id hoped.

Smaller sized images look ok but full size its a little embarrassing.

PS i know the processing in photoshop isn't the best either, just a quick render and play to just get something out.

Thanks for any feedback. Happy holidays!

Col

COL_0679ilkley.jpg

COL_0444hardcastle-cragg.jpg

COL_0550hardcastle-cragg.jpg

COL_0597hardcastle-cragg.jpg

COL_0483hardcastlecragg.jpg

Update.
Just reading up on a few of the landscape discussions here, I've now learned about focus stacking. After a few tests on my lens... its out of focus on f22, so lots of shots using f8 then i guess.

2mins later...

Actually just thinking that wont work if its windy and shooting grass stiching will be hard...

5 mins later...

Just done a few tests, seems by taking a focus on something 1.5/2meters away keeps everything near-ish in focus (f8), then maybe do a shot for medium and one for far. Ill experiment next time i take my camera for a walk. Let me know if anyone has any better ideas.

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
You might get more responses in photos rather than talk ;)

edit- it's been moved

Last edited:
You've already fathomed that f22 is not the best Aperture to be shooting at. Just one quick point. Did you have the VR switched off whilst on a tripod. If not this can work against you and end up fighting the otherwise static camera. Just a thought.

Sorry. VR is a Vibration Reduction system employed by some Manufactures on some of their lenses, (and some cameras I believe, but don't quote me on that one). It gives yopu some help at lower shutter speeds when hand holding, but can have an adverse effect if left switched on whilst using a tripod, and you'll end up with camera shake.

Vibration reduction - built into some lenses. If a camera is too steady then the lens artificially introduces vibration when VR is switched on. Really. Sony and Pentax also build VR into their camera bodies, but not Nikon or Canon.

Try f11 and f16 (try both in the field). My Nikkor 28mm lens scale reckons that at f11 everything between <5 feet and infinity will be in focus if the focus is set properly.

Last edited:
Agreed - at f22 your images will appear soft due to diffraction. It's always good to understand the way each of your lenses performs at different apertures (they will all be different). A simple test is to set up on a tripod and just take shots of the same scene with gradually smaller apertures. Then check each one on your computer and you'll be able to see where the best combination of depth of field and sharpness comes in.

You'll probably find you'll get excellent results at f11 or so, and gradually deteriorating through f16 to f22 as diffraction takes hold.

If you are going to get serious about it, once you have found your lens's "best" aperture, if you still don't have enough depth of field for close and distant objects to be in focus, you can take one shot focused on the foreground and another on mid ground, and a last on the distance, then blend them together in Photoshop afterwards. Unlikely you'll need to do this unless you are very close to the foreground.

Back