A few taken with the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary

Edit My Images
No
Some recent shots taken with the Siggy 150-600 C all at 600mm and hand held. Not up to the big white primes but not bad for the money and best of all less than 2Kg.
stonechat%201P_zpsohvjlwl0.jpg

weatear%2001P_zpsfbhpr7hv.jpg

mead%20pipit%202P_zpsyevuni8o.jpg

stonechat%202P_zpsptxbtd8f.jpg

Very impressive! These siggys really have taken superzooms to the next level! Who would have thought such a long zoom lens could give such good quality at the long end.

Nice set, I too am thinking of getting the Sigma lens, excellent value and produces top quality results

You seem to do very well with that combo :) are they all around north Devon ?

#1 and #4 for me… sweet twities!

You seem to do very well with that combo :) are they all around north Devon ?
Yes, all from around North Devon Adam. I am very much a local patch birder and rarely stray more than 10 miles from Barnstaple. Stonechats and meadow pipits are both very common around the North Devon coast and there are always Wheatear on Northam burrows in the season.

Last edited:
Nice set, I too am thinking of getting the Sigma lens, excellent value and produces top quality results
Although the Sport has a better build quality Steve there is not a lot of difference in IQ from what I have seen. The real biggy for me is the weight - at under 2kg the 'C' is easy to carry around and hand hold even for a weakling oap like me whereas the Sport at around a kg heavier is not suitable for my style.

They all look great, and really sharp too (all taken at f8 by the looks of things)

Having owned this same lens for a week or so, i will say that at the long end you really do need to step it down to get really sharp shots

They all look great, and really sharp too (all taken at f8 by the looks of things)

Having owned this same lens for a week or so, i will say that at the long end you really do need to step it down to get really sharp shots
Yep, I always stop down 2/3's of a stop to f8 when at the long end. This would have been problem 4 or 5 years ago but ok these days with the better high ISO performances.

Yep, I always stop down 2/3's of a stop to f8 when at the long end. This would have been problem 4 or 5 years ago but ok these days with the better high ISO performances.

Yeah, i shot a Robin at the weekend, filled the frame with it at 600mm, f8, ISO about 1600 i think (that is what i cap my Auto ISO too at the moment), but the detail in the feathers is all still there, hardly any sign of noise, i was well impressed

On the flip side though i shot a Wren in similar circumstances, though a 60-70% crop, full stretch but wide open, a little underexposed, and i had to apply some quite drastic NR

But as it's only really me 2nd outing with it, i think it's all going to be down to finding that sweet spot, which is certainly around the f8 mark, i might even up my ISO cap in the auto ISO settings, i might try closing down just 1/3rd stop rather than 2/3, see if that makes much of a difference or not

Yeah, i shot a Robin at the weekend, filled the frame with it at 600mm, f8, ISO about 1600 i think (that is what i cap my Auto ISO too at the moment), but the detail in the feathers is all still there, hardly any sign of noise, i was well impressed

On the flip side though i shot a Wren in similar circumstances, though a 60-70% crop, full stretch but wide open, a little underexposed, and i had to apply some quite drastic NR

But as it's only really me 2nd outing with it, i think it's all going to be down to finding that sweet spot, which is certainly around the f8 mark, i might even up my ISO cap in the auto ISO settings, i might try closing down just 1/3rd stop rather than 2/3, see if that makes much of a difference or not
I guess which Camera you are using makes a big difference as far as high ISO noise is concerned. Shooting the the right (ETTR) can also make a big difference to noise. With my 7D2 I am perfectly happy up to ISO 1600 even if I have to crop fairly heavily but with the 5D3 I will go up to ISO 6400 no problem.

Back