A few years back there was an Adobe 'April Fool'.

ancient_mariner

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Where they suggested that they would introduce software that would sharpen a blurry photo. Just had this in an email from On1 tonight:

Stop tossing your best shots just because they are out of focus. The new Tack Sharp AI inside of the next major version of ON1 Photo RAW (and next major update to ON1 NoNoise AI) brings you state-of-the-art deblurring. It can detect motion and camera blur and then reduce it to make your photo tack sharp.

No idea how effective this is, but certainly both interesting and disappointing. Interesting because, well, d'uh. Disappointing because suddenly apparently any young duffer with no idea will be able to salvage their crappy blurry shots.

We shall see.

Last edited:
Isn’t this the logical next step after autofocus? I remember manual focus :p

Where they suggested that they would introduce software that would sharpen a blurry photo. Just had this in an email from On1 tonight:

No idea how effective this is, but certainly both interesting and disappointing. Interesting because, well, d'uh. Disappointing because suddenly apparently any young duffer with no idea will be able to salvage their crappy blurry shots.

We shall see.
I have not seen such an email yet!

The link in your post does nothing:thinking:

Topaz sharpen ai already has that functionality and is very effective for minor focus and shake issues (mostly single direction a small movement). You can't feed utter failure and expect perfect accurate results but can make minor issues disappear

I use On1 2022 in place of Adobe L/R and P/S albeit I had the 6 version of both and am finding On1 does a great job in replacing Adobe, it does not just denoise and sharpen if required, has a bit of a steep learning curb but if you have not tried it download the trial and have a look. Russ.

Topaz sharpen ai already has that functionality and is very effective for minor focus and shake issues (mostly single direction a small movement). You can't feed utter failure and expect perfect accurate results but can make minor issues disappear

Seconded.. Sharpen AI does a good job of tackling focus issues; most sharpening software only deals with motion blur or lens blur.

We shall see.

I wouldn't worry, Knowing On1 it will only work on a handful of images used by On1 and their brand ambassadors for their promotional videos.

Focus Magic has been doing this for a while now (since 2000), albeit with some manual input to help assess the level of unsharpness, and in the case of subject or camera movement guidance on the direction of movement. It was also meant to correct for diffraction.

And it’s the primary reason for Topaz Sharpen AI, but Topaz uses AI to detect whether the unsharpness is out of focus errors or camera/subject movement errors.

Topaz Sharpen AI actually works reasonably well for those slightly soft images e.g. where the Auto focus on a bird has just missed the eye and focussed on the shoulder or bill, or a slow shutter speed has allowed the bird to move a little, etc.

But equally, I find it can produce horrible results without a lot of manual input. Topaz have just released (in beta) "PhotoAI" which is meant to be even smarter and needing less manual input, but so far, even with manual input to over ride the "smarter" bit, I can't get results as good as I can get with the current generation of their programs.

At one time Adobe also had a sharpening tool like this in PS, but they removed it a few years ago.

At one time Adobe also had a sharpening tool like this in PS, but they removed it a few years ago.
They have Enhance / SuperResolution which is a colossal waste of time and disk space
But equally, I find it can produce horrible results without a lot of manual input.
I find results are better with manual input, and sliders tend to be on the far left side most of the time. AI tends to overcook tings, but I have to admit sometimes they manage to correctly spot minor shake where it looks more like slight defocus to naked eye. I'm talking effects you likely won't notice on A4 print.
I've also had some hopeless images fixed, but these tend to be exceptions.

Topaz have just released (in beta) "PhotoAI" which is meant to be even smarter and needing less manual input, but so far, even with manual input to over ride the "smarter" bit, I can't get results as good as I can get with the current generation of their programs.
I'm interested if they can get it to the level where you can run say denoise and sharpen or denoise and enlarge with full level of control at the same time. Hopefully this is where it is going rather than full Auto.
They had an app for video for a while which is supposedly 3in1 but never had a chance to play with it.

Last edited:
They have Enhance / SuperResolution which is a colossal waste of time and disk space

I find results are better with manual input, and sliders tend to be on the far left side most of the time. AI tends to overcook tings, but I have to admit sometimes they manage to correctly spot minor shake where it looks more like slight defocus to naked eye. I'm talking effects you likely won't notice on A4 print.
I've also had some hopeless images fixed, but these tend to be exceptions.

I'm interested if they can get it to the level where you can run say denoise and sharpen or denoise and enlarge with full level of control at the same time. Hopefully this is where it is going rather than full Auto.
They had an app for video for a while which is supposedly 3in1 but never had a chance to play with it.
With current crop of Topaz AI, I look for the model that looks best, and then adjust manually, which like you, is to turn things down. And like you I also find some of the time it gets much closer than others.

With Topaz PhotoAI, it replaces the initial manual choice of model, with AI choosing a combined DeNoise and Sharpen model.

You then have no choice of model, but you can manually turn down (or off all together), the amount of denoising and sharpening, plus some other things I haven't looked at properly. Gigapixel is then an additional option, which seems to use the settings from the combined denoise/sharpen options already set.

The issue I'm having is that I'm not finding the quality, even with manual override to be anywhere near as good as the existing Denoise/Sharpen stand alone options. But it is still only beta. My views however seem to be different to everyone else's, as all the reviews (at least the ones I've watched/read) are saying how great it is and how it's replaced the need for the standalone versions.

With current crop of Topaz AI, I look for the model that looks best, and then adjust manually, which like you, is to turn things down. And like you I also find some of the time it gets much closer than others.

With Topaz PhotoAI, it replaces the initial manual choice of model, with AI choosing a combined DeNoise and Sharpen model.

You then have no choice of model, but you can manually turn down (or off all together), the amount of denoising and sharpening, plus some other things I haven't looked at properly. Gigapixel is then an additional option, which seems to use the settings from the combined denoise/sharpen options already set.

The issue I'm having is that I'm not finding the quality, even with manual override to be anywhere near as good as the existing Denoise/Sharpen stand alone options. But it is still only beta. My views however seem to be different to everyone else's, as all the reviews (at least the ones I've watched/read) are saying how great it is and how it's replaced the need for the standalone versions.
It is choosing wrong model, a known and common problem for existing apps, that's why. We need to let topaz know that they need to give back this control to us. I don't mind letting it try but I want to make a final decision.

It is choosing wrong model, a known and common problem for existing apps, that's why. We need to let topaz know that they need to give back this control to us. I don't mind letting it try but I want to make a final decision.
I think the essence of PhotoAI is to choose the model for you, and then let you tweak it from there.

I think the essence of PhotoAI is to choose the model for you, and then let you tweak it from there.
I would drop them a quick email with your thoughts about AI selection accuracy and implications to your workflow. I'm not in the beta so may have to wait a little while before I can do that. Hopefully they haven't recached the size and pride of Adobe to the level where you can't even contact them.

I would drop them a quick email with your thoughts about AI selection accuracy and implications to your workflow. I'm not in the beta so may have to wait a little while before I can do that. Hopefully they haven't recached the size and pride of Adobe to the level where you can't even contact them.
There is a beta support forum, with lots of detailed comments and interaction directly with one of the developers, there have been two beta changes since the 0.7 release on Friday, now on 0.7.02, but I'm not really beta testing it, just having a look.

Giving useful beta feedback is more of a commitment than I can afford at the moment.

Back