A foray into film - continues

I see your point and agree but I'm trying to do this little experiment/project on the cheap. Having looked at the price of Portra and Ektar film if I go for fresh film I'll have to stick to the cheaper versions of ColorPlus or Gold. Perhaps I should have asked for some from Santa!

Howard
Having got back into film via Poundland Agfa before it disappeared, I then started using Colorplus instead. I've recently tried Gold and found it to be better than Colorplus and Kodak Ultramax, so I'd encourage you to try it out at £12.49 for 3 x 36 exposure delivered from 7dayshop.

Hi every one, haven't added to this for a while - it takes me a long time to get through two films!

I took the advice and bought some new film,Kodak Gold, and I loaded it into my Pentax P30N, here are some of the results.

1. Great Budworth Church
great_budworth_church.jpg

2. Another view

great_budworth_church_2.jpg

3. Great Budworth main street

great_budworth_main_street.jpg

and yet another church - Toft

toft_church_1.jpg

Apologies that they are all churches, I like the architecture.

I'm happy with these, I have also gone against advice and used some OOD film I was given. I will post those results on another day.

Comments as always welcome.

Cheers,

Howard

Hi
Well you did say you want comments o_O They are a bit "muddy" looking and need cleaning up in Photoshop or similar. ;)

Hi,

I did indeed say I wanted comments, thank you for taking time to do so.

Can you please explain "a bit muddy"? I agree with that on the last as it was a grey dull day. The others, on here, look more or less alright to me, I have tweaked them a bit and they do look better but I haven't reposted them. How would you suggest doing the PP - I have PSE10.

Cheers,

Howard

PS Thanks all for the likes.

All coming along nicely.

I do agree with Brian about them looking a bit "muddy". Lacking clarity. I wouldn't know what to advise with PSE other than have a play.

In no.2 have you done something with verticals?

Can you please explain "a bit muddy"?

Well it's not your fault but the original scan could have been better.
With Photoshop just click on "auto color" and the muddy look is taken away like this:-

mNxV821.jpg

Well it's not your fault but the original scan could have been better.
With Photoshop just click on "auto color" and the muddy look is taken away like this:-

mNxV821.jpg

Thanks for that it definitely looks better, I've never tried any of the auto controls in PSE. We live and learn. I tried with some of the other images but I didn't think it was as effective. I'll know in future.

All coming along nicely.

In no.2 have you done something with verticals?

Yes I thought I was correcting the perspective and the leaning tower of Great Budworth! Obviously it didn't work as well as I hoped, I found that very difficult to gauge as the church tower has a buttress on each corner. That's my excuse anyway. Any suggestions/advice welcome.

Cheers,

Howard

Thanks for that it definitely looks better, I've never tried any of the auto controls in PSE. We live and learn. I tried with some of the other images but I didn't think it was as effective. I'll know in future.

Yes I thought I was correcting the perspective and the leaning tower of Great Budworth! Obviously it didn't work as well as I hoped, I found that very difficult to gauge as the church tower has a buttress on each corner. That's my excuse anyway. Any suggestions/advice welcome.

Cheers,

Howard

It's not "cheating" using Photoshop as in the old days a shot was adjusted in the darkroom.
Another one and again auto color and also adjusted the slider "gamma"...all about 30 secs work and some guys in here could probably do even better.
1lIfSJ5.jpg

It's not "cheating" using Photoshop as in the old days a shot was adjusted in the darkroom.
Another one and again auto color and also adjusted the slider "gamma"...all about 30 secs work and some guys in here could probably do even better.
1lIfSJ5.jpg

Thanks once again, however I prefer my original with this - sorry. With my old version, 10, of PSE there are no sliders with the "Auto Color" tool. Is it possible to buy a more recent version, but not the very latest, cheaply?

Cheers

Howard

PS Notice no sign of the Martians.:LOL:

With my old version, 10, of PSE there are no sliders with the "Auto Color" tool. Is it possible to buy a more recent version, but not the very latest, cheaply?

Photoshop is too expensive and I don't know how far back auto color was added to Photoshop...but maybe you can borrow and old copy of Photoshop but would Adobe consider this to be illegal or pirating even for an old copy?

Thanks once again, however I prefer my original with this - sorry. With my old version, 10, of PSE there are no sliders with the "Auto Color" tool. Is it possible to buy a more recent version, but not the very latest, cheaply? ....

I was going to suggest Affinity Photo as a powerful, inexpensive PS alternative... but it's also much more complex than PSE. A low cost alternative might be Luminar, which is much more "one-click"...

BTW IMHO the only major issue with photos 3 and 4 is that the light isn't helpful. Where did you get them dev/scanned?

Thanks once again, however I prefer my original with this - sorry. With my old version, 10, of PSE there are no sliders with the "Auto Color" tool. Is it possible to buy a more recent version, but not the very latest, cheaply?

Cheers

Howard

PS Notice no sign of the Martians.:LOL:

I'm not sure if you still can, but you used to be able to download the earlier versions free of charge from Adobe's website (they didn't make it too obvious how to do so though). They were the old CS versions, so would be over ten years out of date, but still useful.

Hi,

I was going to suggest Affinity Photo as a powerful, inexpensive PS alternative... but it's also much more complex than PSE. A low cost alternative might be Luminar, which is much more "one-click"...

BTW IMHO the only major issue with photos 3 and 4 is that the light isn't helpful. Where did you get them dev/scanned?

I have downloaded Luminar3 and have had some play with it. Initial thoughts are mixed but I'll persevere with it.

I sent the films to FilmDev for processing, I have tried MaxSpielman and not being happy in the past so can't really judge FilmDev. However, I must say their service is brilliant, posted Thursday morning, asked for payment Friday afternoon, scans received Saturday afternoon, I can't ask for better than that.

I'm not sure if you still can, but you used to be able to download the earlier versions free of charge from Adobe's website (they didn't make it too obvious how to do so though). They were the old CS versions, so would be over ten years out of date, but still useful.

I've been on Adobe's website but can only see free trial versions, and I'm notoriously bad at remembering to cancel such trials, so I won't be going down that road. I might go back to trying Gimp but I find user interface is not to my liking. I'll keep trying.

Any one heard and/or used these - http://www.btphotographic.co.uk/35mm-film-processing ? They are within driving distance of me but they are, to my mind, expensive.

Here's a laugh for you. many, many years ago I bought a 0.46x fish eye attachment and used it a few times then forgot about it until I started using film again. Here is an example straight out of the camera from the last film. A large church, a 28mm was not wide enough.

St Margaret's, Altrincham

000093850013.jpg

Gimmicky or what?

Howard

Any one heard and/or used these - http://www.btphotographic.co.uk/35mm-film-processing ? They are within driving distance of me but they are, to my mind, expensive.

BT Photographic in Timperley were my 'go to' lab when I used to do gig photography in the early 90s; the last time I used them was around 18 years ago, before going digital then moving to South Cheshire, so this is hardly a current review! I didn't know they were still going, so I'd imagine they're doing something right or they'd have disappeared by now. I'll have to give them a try again one of these days as they always did a good job when I took my films there.

As for cost, weigh up the saving on postage against fuel costs taking your films there, particularly if you can do a short detour from another journey to drop off and collect.

Last edited:
BT Photographic in Timperley were my 'go to' lab when I used to do gig photography in the early 90s; the last time I used them was around 18 years ago, before going digital then moving to South Cheshire, so this is hardly a current review! I didn't know they were still going, so I'd imagine they're doing something right or they'd have disappeared by now. I'll have to give them a try again one of these days as they always did a good job when I took my films there.

As for cost, weigh up the saving on postage against fuel costs taking your films there, particularly if you can do a short detour from another journey to drop off and collect.

Thanks for that. Useful to know, it's a shame but I decided, that for the time being, they are too expensive. So today I have sent my latest efforts to FilmDev. I have also bought some more fresh film, the best value I could find were Bristol Cameras, I think now I have enough film to keep me going for several weeks if not months. Therefore I shall soon be back boring everybody.

I also have some out of date B&W film which I'd like to try sometime, to which end I have resurrected my old Pentax ME Super being the only camera I have that allows me to change the ISO as much as is recommended. All I need now is somewhere to go.

Howard

Hi again,

My latest efforts have come back from FilmDev, here are a couple of examples.

haj_plus_two.jpg

old_boathouse_inn.jpg

Both of the above from my resurrected Pentax ME Super.

And this from a Miranda Point &Shoot

another_lone_tree.jpg

and all three from out of date film.

These lead to a couple of, possibly naive, questions.

First - FilmDev scan at various file sizes - I go for the smallest and cheapest, so if I went higher resolution scan would I get better reproduction?

and

Second - A very basic question - the Miranda has a switch to change the ISO value, how does it work?

Should I not expect anything better with OOD film?

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Howard

Hi again,

View attachment 271432

View attachment 271433

View attachment 271434

First - FilmDev scan at various file sizes - I go for the smallest and cheapest, so if I went higher resolution scan would I get better reproduction?

and

Second - A very basic question - the Miranda has a switch to change the ISO value, how does it work?

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Howard
Sorry if this sounds a little harsh but please please please stop using out of date film and then wondering why they look a bit s***. Out of date film can produce some excellent even stunning results but as you've proved mostly you get very unsatisfactory and uninspiring results. Do yourself a favour and buy some new film, preferably something decent like Portra or Ektar, work your way through the film making notes of what shutter & aperture you've used, send it off to a decent lab (FilmDev are fine) and get some reasonable size scans done then assess then results.

Hi again,

View attachment 271432

View attachment 271433

View attachment 271434

and

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Howard

erm well if you had just used Photoshop for 5 secs the yellow cast in your shots would have gone, and in the Miranda P&S shot.....no expensive film would improve an unsharp\fuzzy shot. But if you like your shots then who am I to criticize, o_O:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi again,

View attachment 271432

View attachment 271433

View attachment 271434

and

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Howard

Nice light in the Miranda shot, Howard. I haven't got my glasses on, so I can't actually see that it's (apparently) fuzzy.

Ouch!!!

Thanks everybody for your honest opinions and for your forthright advice.

[QUOTE="excalibur2, post: 8647110, member: 17847" But if you like your shots then who am I to criticize, o_O:rolleyes:[/QUOTE] You are, of course, entitled to criticise and I take no exception to that. I took your suggestion and did some photoshopping and they were definitely improved, I won't bother reposting - not worth it.

I shall now go and put away all the old films that I have and start using the new films I bought a few weeks back. I'll start with the same size scans then I shall also look at using larger scans.As has been said using OOD film introduced one too many variables into the equation. Having looked at some of the shots I took years ago I have convinced myself that I am better than these later efforts!

Once again, thanks everybody for your contributions.

Cheers,

Howard

Back