Critique A friendly chaffinch

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
There were a few males by Craig Goch dam, probably get thrown food by tourists as they got very close and let me snap away.

Let myself down abit in the first pic by not having a deeper dof, but I'm happy I got the focus on the eye. I've also got too close and cropped out the feet and the tail.
I like the DoF and the contrasting blurred background of the second pic, but the colours aren't as vibrant on the bird.
I'm happy with the focus on the third picture, and I like the colours, but the background is quite distracting.

I always welcome constructive criticism and feedback. Is my analysis of these pics right?

IMG_1755 by tom_499, on Flickr
IMG_1776 by tom_499, on Flickr
IMG_1763 by tom_499, on Flickr

I've also got too close and cropped out the feet and the tail.
… and why, Tom?
I like the DoF and the contrasting blurred background of the second pic, but the colours aren't as vibrant on the bird.
A well done classic shot for any birder.
As for the colours, nothing a mid-tonal tweak
could not fix to your liking.
I'm happy with the focus on the third picture, and I like the colours, but the background is quite distracting.
Right! In such case, cropping much closer to the
bird will inverse positively the first impression.

I'd say your self critique is pretty much spot on.

On te second you could add a little more vibrance with a gentle tweak of the slider, but for me it looks quite natural as it is.

The third suffers from a poor head angle with him looking away which lets it down and the branch overpowers the bird.

Not a bad set though, keep them coming

Mike

Back