A good time to buy a DSLR ?

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
With everyone, or a great number of people wanting to go mirrorless, I was wondering is now a good time to buy a DSLR? Or for me at least, a pre owned Nikon DSLR. I already have an entry level D3300 and a Canon 1 inch sensor compact. I keep wanting another lens, for my Nikon so I can get those subjects that are a little further away. I don't always want to get in closer, as I sometimes like the look of the image taken at a longer length.

I already have a few older lenses that have no focus motor, 50mm 1.8D and a Tamron 28-300mm and a Nikon 70mm-300mm. So rather than buying a longer lens for the D3300, I was thinking it would be more beneficial to get a pre owned DSLR.

I know owners of Nikon DSLR'S wont be happy, but are they more affordable than ever?

Personally I don't think that mirrorless cameras have yet majorly impacted DSLR sales, however some older, quality, DSLRs are great value ... D300s. D700, D3, D800.

Personally I don't think that mirrorless cameras have yet majorly impacted DSLR sales, however some older, quality, DSLRs are great value ... D300s. D700, D3, D800.

I have been looking on pre owned sites, and reasonable bodies seem to go for a couple of hundred quid. I was think of spending a couple of hundred on an older DSLR, rather than getting more lenses for my D3300.

D700 is as good as it gets. If you can find a good low shutter count body, you’re set.

View media item 105172

View media item 105020
I just want to bring these lenses back into use. No good on my D3300 due to no focus motor.
I want to do it at as low cost as possible.
D7000 is a cheap used camera, still apsc.
D700 is a great full frame camera for the price, but won't get you any closer, if anything you'll be further away due to their being no crop factor.

D700 is as good as it gets. If you can find a good low shutter count body, you’re set.
It's a great camera but I don't think Nikon would've spent millions on R&D for their FF range over the last 10 years if your statement was true.

D7000 is a cheap used camera, still apsc.
D700 is a great full frame camera for the price, but won't get you any closer, if anything you'll be further away due to their being no crop factor.

The few older lenses that I have, have no focus motor. The lenses I want to use, are the 50mm 1.8D and a Tamron 28-300mm and a Nikon 70mm-300mm.

My D3300 is already a crop sensor anyway, so I wont notice the difference. As I only have a 35mm 1.8G and the 18-55 kit lens, to go on it.

I just want to bring these lenses back into use. No good on my D3300 due to no focus motor. I want to do it at as low cost as possible.
D300s has a focus motor and is a quality older crop DSLR at a 'peanuts' price.

D300s has a focus motor and is a quality older crop DSLR at a 'peanuts' price.

I actually have been looking at the D300s, and me being a cheapskate skinflint, I have even looked at the D90 as a possible. I know on the older bodies, I probably wont be able to go much over 800 ISO. But I was thinking more for use at longer focal lengths in good light, for people shots and wild life. I go for daily walks along the canal, and the older body set up, with my longer lens, should produce results that I am happy with.

I actually have been looking at the D300s, and me being a cheapskate skinflint, I have even looked at the D90 as a possible. I know on the older bodies, I probably wont be able to go much over 800 ISO. But I was thinking more for use at longer focal lengths in good light, for people shots and wild life. I go for daily walks along the canal, and the older body set up, with my longer lens, should produce results that I am happy with.

D300s ...

Reed Warbler
by Roger, on Flickr

Lapwing
by Roger, on Flickr

Juvenile Oystercatcher
by Roger, on Flickr

Extinction Rebellion - Bristol 2019
by Roger, on Flickr

Extinction Rebellion - Day 3
by Roger, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice photos Roger but I thought I should mention Flickr says ‘bathtime!’ was taken with a D850.

Thanks for pointing that out Rob, an error in my use of Flickr's search facility ... erroneous photo removed :)

I think every camera is good when not pushed too far - take my Kodak DCS Pro SLR C. I use ISO 100, bounced flash and a Canon 50mm 1.4 and the detail and depth is unreal. I tend to take pictures of the better half, and while she is (IMO) model material she hates the camera becasue of the details it picks out in her face!

police van.JPG

This was taken on my old Nikon D80 and the Tamron 28-300mm. I took the photo quickly while walking, at the 300mm end. I did not want to be spotted, as they were doing a Speed trap, speeding motorists, so they may have taken offence. If I had of braced myself better, the image would have been clearer. I like spotting things a little way off, and getting a quick snap.

boat.JPG

Another taken from a little way out, D80 and Tamron at the 300mm end. I obviously missed focus with this one.

park.JPG

No idea why I got rid of the D80. :thinking: The above photo was at ISO 800. The image was SOOC, I should have run it through Nikon NXD to tidy the image up.

Started with a D60 in 2008 then got the bug, D300 allowed me to get used to using 2 bodies but then D60 felt like a toy so sold it but budget only allowed for an S5PRO as a second.
I was happy for a good few years but got the itch to try FX and the second hand value of the D3 was dropping quite fast so D3 added about 2015.
Again happy for a few more years but about 2017 felt the D300 was getting on a bit so D500 added, so close to a D850 but my lens collection wouldn't do it justice.
Now buy off chance and a few more lens upgrades I've just added a D810. I still have all the bodies except the D60 and they all come in handy at some point so I'll never sell any on and have no need or desire to go mirror less. Plus have grandchildren, the eldest coming upto 7 this year I will see if he has an interest when I put the D300 and 35mm in his hands.

So short answer yes as older bodies can be had quite cheap, I've see low shutter D3's go for £400 ish and that is a bargain

I dunno Jon, those pictures aren't anywhere near sharp, not that they need to be razor sharp and the posting process doesn't do any favors but it's definitely very noticeable here. When I got my first DSLR (a Canon 300D) my first lens was a Sigma 28-300mm and although it wasn't a great lens it did make a nice day out and general do it all except low light lens and I don't remember getting results this soft.

I regretted selling that lens but... I don't have anything to use it on these days.

Started with a D60 in 2008 then got the bug, D300 allowed me to get used to using 2 bodies but then D60 felt like a toy so sold it but budget only allowed for an S5PRO as a second.
I was happy for a good few years but got the itch to try FX and the second hand value of the D3 was dropping quite fast so D3 added about 2015.
Again happy for a few more years but about 2017 felt the D300 was getting on a bit so D500 added, so close to a D850 but my lens collection wouldn't do it justice.
Now buy off chance and a few more lens upgrades I've just added a D810. I still have all the bodies except the D60 and they all come in handy at some point so I'll never sell any on and have no need or desire to go mirror less. Plus have grandchildren, the eldest coming upto 7 this year I will see if he has an interest when I put the D300 and 35mm in his hands.

So short answer yes as older bodies can be had quite cheap, I've see low shutter D3's go for £400 ish and that is a bargain

I also had a D60 then got the D80, then got the D3300. I wished I had of gone for a used D7100, as opposed to the D3300. I was told to go for a used D7100 by a few members on here. I wished I had of listened to them now.

I dunno Jon, those pictures aren't anywhere near sharp, not that they need to be razor sharp and the posting process doesn't do any favors but it's definitely very noticeable here. When I got my first DSLR (a Canon 300D) my first lens was a Sigma 28-300mm and although it wasn't a great lens it did make a nice day out and general do it all except low light lens and I don't remember getting results this soft.

I regretted selling that lens but... I don't have anything to use it on these days.
Not the cameras fault, most certainly user error. I was just pointing the camera, and grabbing the shot, and not steadying myself properly, especially at 300mm. So certainly my fault, that the images are poop. I think it is more camera shake.

DSC_6023.JPG

The image quality from the old D80 was not too bad, the poor composition and missed focus, is entirely my fault.

With everyone, or a great number of people wanting to go mirrorless, I was wondering is now a good time to buy a DSLR? Or for me at least, a pre owned Nikon DSLR. I already have an entry level D3300 and a Canon 1 inch sensor compact. I keep wanting another lens, for my Nikon so I can get those subjects that are a little further away. I don't always want to get in closer, as I sometimes like the look of the image taken at a longer length.

I already have a few older lenses that have no focus motor, 50mm 1.8D and a Tamron 28-300mm and a Nikon 70mm-300mm. So rather than buying a longer lens for the D3300, I was thinking it would be more beneficial to get a pre owned DSLR.

I know owners of Nikon DSLR'S wont be happy, but are they more affordable than ever?

As a previous owner of a D3300 (brilliant little camera, I was really happy with it), I'd say don't worry too much about the Tamron lens; perhaps look to trade it in for a shorter, wide zoom, as you have the 70-300mm focal lengths covered. I still have my D600 I bought new in 2013, and it still produces fantastic result. It's an excellent camera, and in terms of IQ in low light, probably a little better than a D700, and certainly better than a D300. Prices of used D600s are pretty low now, and you might even find a new one still available somewhere. The D600, as well as being a full frame camera, has the built in screw drive for AF on older lenses, such as your 50 and 70-300. This opens up the possibility of using a whole range of older screw drive lenses, which are now relatively cheap, such as 24/28mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 85mm f1.8 etc. All excellent lenses. Plus there's the older 105 and 60mm micro lenses, again, these are fantastic and excellent vfm.

I replaced the D3300 with a Z6, as I wanted better low light capability (but I do miss the D3300 and 16-85mm combo for an excellent small travel cam), but I prefer my D600 when using longer lenses such as the 70-20mm f2.8, as it has a control grip and is just more comfortable to use. But if you want to 'get closer', your D3300 with the crop sensor will be better with longer lenses. Maybe think about trading in both your long zooms for an AF-S version with internal motor. Or even go for something like the 80-400mm zoom; big, but great reach on DX, and has VR. If you want better IQ, then think about a D7000 series camera, as that may well have better low light/high ISO IQ, plus take a control grip for vertical shooting.

I also had a D60 then got the D80, then got the D3300. I wished I had of gone for a used D7100, as opposed to the D3300. I was told to go for a used D7100 by a few members on here. I wished I had of listened to them now.

The D3300 is just as capable in most situations, as it's the lens quality that is more important. CameraDecisions suggests the D3300 has better low light/high ISO performance, I don't know. But the D7100 will have a faster shooting buffer and slightly faster max frame rate (not important unless you are rattling offloads of FPS), as well as being more sturdy (and bigger though) and weather sealed. These things may be important. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a D7100 over a D3300 though; for me, the smaller size was important, and I didn't see any indication that ultimate IQ was any better in the D7100. If you want a step up in IQ, then move to full frame.

The D3300 is just as capable in most situations, as it's the lens quality that is more important. CameraDecisions suggests the D3300 has better low light/high ISO performance, I don't know. But the D7100 will have a faster shooting buffer and slightly faster max frame rate (not important unless you are rattling offloads of FPS), as well as being more sturdy (and bigger though) and weather sealed. These things may be important. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a D7100 over a D3300 though; for me, the smaller size was important, and I didn't see any indication that ultimate IQ was any better in the D7100. If you want a step up in IQ, then move to full frame.

I will still keep my D3300, as I have the 35mm .18G stuck to it. I just want an old body that I can keep stuck to on of my 300mm lenses. I am even looking at the much older D90, as they can now be had for a very small amount of money.

I started off with the D90s sold it and got the D200 (battery heavy)- sold that and got the D300 and still have. From that onto the D800 (dropped and fepaired better than new), while it was away bought the D810. so now have D300-D800 and D810. Often wondered if I should sell the D300 together with Nikon MBD10 grip and BL3 with 2xEN-EL4a batteries and MH21 and MH16a chargers, but I don't think anyone would be really interested. worth more to me than selling value

Last edited:
The few older lenses that I have, have no focus motor. The lenses I want to use, are the 50mm 1.8D and a Tamron 28-300mm and a Nikon 70mm-300mm.

My D3300 is already a crop sensor anyway, so I wont notice the difference. As I only have a 35mm 1.8G and the 18-55 kit lens, to go on it.
D7000 has a built in focus motor. It's a great camera, and great prices now.
I know you won't notice a difference due to the same crop factor, but if you go FF things will appear further away.

D7000 has a built in focus motor. It's a great camera, and great prices now.
I know you won't notice a difference due to the same crop factor, but if you go FF things will appear further away.
Just looking at a couple of bodies on pre owned sites, I am not looking at spending a great deal of money, so probably looking at something a good few years old. Yes looking at the D7000 as a possible, among a couple of others.

Back