A good tripod needed

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

Yes I know perhaps a slightly odd thread title, and one person good is different to another.

I am looking for a new tripod, I have my first ever and only Manfrotto 055 legs and 3 different heads, one ball, one geared and one other I have totally forgot what it is.

For a while now I have been looking for a new tripod, I would like it to be light, well a good amount lighter than my Manfrotto which seems to weigh a LOT. I have been looking at various brands such as Gitzo, Feisol, Manfrotto etc.

My main issue is getting something that I feel is tall enough. I am 6ft 3in tall, not generally a fan of using centre columns for stability reasons (unless things have improved. I currently screen my heads to the top plate of my tripod, no centre column attached.

Finding a tripod of good enough quality that doesn't cost £1,000,000 and is tall enough seems to be my issue. I remember a year or two seeing a few tripods at the photo show that I could stand underneath!!

Have any of you got tall sturdy tripods? What do you have? What would you recommend? Is carbon the way to go these days?

I realise I have a lot of questions here, so apologies in advance.

Gitzo GT3542XLS tripod, is one of the best, very tall and sturdy with no center column.

I have a Gitzo 4542LS. I'm the same height as you and when fully extended is more than I need. No center column though one is available if needed.

Solid as a rock with my 5D3 and whichever lens I choose on it.

Nearly new but I hardly use it since my switch to the Fuji. Prepared to sell at an agreed price, but only through the classifieds!

Gitzo GT3542XLS tripod, is one of the best, very tall and sturdy with no center column.

Thanks just had a look at this, looks great at just over 200cm tall (just over 6ft 5in) which is great and gives me a little head room if for example i were to be standing on some rocks shooting landscapes! Thank you! :)

I have a Gitzo 4542LS. I'm the same height as you and when fully extended is more than I need. No center column though one is available if needed.

Solid as a rock with my 5D3 and whichever lens I choose on it.

Nearly new but I hardly use it since my switch to the Fuji. Prepared to sell at an agreed price, but only through the classifieds!

Hi thanks for the suggestion, this one looks a bit short to me? 156.5cm tall (5ft 1in tall) according to the Gitzo website. I suppose you gain a little more height once you pop a head onto it, but I can't help thinking this maybe a little short for me personally. You mentioned you are the same height as me, do you not find yourself bending or anything, i guess as I mentioned, pop a head on it, then your camera on top of the head and it would be about right.

Hi thanks for the suggestion, this one looks a bit short to me? 156.5cm tall (5ft 1in tall)

No. Fully extended the top plate is level with my chin. With my Sunway head and 5D3 on the eyepiece is bang in front of my eye when I am stood upright. No stooping at all.
You won't find a taller tripod unless you make one yourself!

For on location work, I got two of these:
htmlhttp://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-elite-tripod-ct3472-rapid-p-58.html
both with spikes.
One with column and a 70mm ballhead:
http://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-ball-head-cb70d-with-release-plate-qp144750-p-8.html)
and the other
without column for my canadian made gimbal:
http://www.jobu-design.com/Jobu-Pro2-Gimbal_p_8.html
on a FEISOL Leveling Base LB-7572.

I'm having a good time with these!

For studio work, I got two of these:
https://www.manfrotto.com/products/supports/tripod-legs/058b-triaut-camera-tripod-black
with different gear heads and ballheads

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming. Its great to get recommendations from people that have the various different models and what they think of them. I am noting them all down and will then go to a retailer that sells them to try them out I think, that will be the best way to work out what may or may not be too short. Its hard to judge I guess off just figures on a spec sheet, so I will not be ruling anything out until I have seen/tried them.

Hi all, first post in a long time and have been browsing as I plan a return to photography soon, but I noticed this thread and have been looking at tripods myself and wonder if the Manfrotto 057 would fit the the bill. 180cm with column down. Add the head and camera and maybe about right? https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/057-carbon-fiber-tripod-4-sections Not so light weight though!

I was in a similar position to you and didn't want to spend a fortune on a tripod. I know the Gitzo's are probably the best but I couldn't justify the outlay so I went for a Benro C3770TN combination model which has no centre column and is 1.81 metres extended with a head or body attached. It's really strong and stable and will support up to 18kg.
I'm 6 feet and would have to stand on tiptoe plus a bit to reach at full extension. At around £200, I believe it's a great buy and reasonably lightweight and carbon fibre too.

Back