A hazy morning over London

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Occasionally my job requires me to inspect builds, and occasionally that can only be done from the outside, even more occasionally those buildings are rather tall. Today was one of those occasions.
These photos were taken from the BMU aka the window cleaners basket on the Leadenhall Building, or as most people know it, the Cheese Grater. Launching from the roof at the 51st floor and travelling down to various levels I had to make the most of the opportunity!

The Gherkin rising up into the haze.
London skyline-004 by David Walker, on Flickr

The Gherkin a little later in the day, the morning haze has burnt off and the bright sun makes it sparkle like a disco ball. :D
London skyline-009 by David Walker, on Flickr

And peeking up above a nearby building.
London skyline-005 by David Walker, on Flickr

I liked the wiggly road below, not sure if I have really made much of it though.
London skyline-006 by David Walker, on Flickr

The Walkie-talkie and the Shard.
London skyline-001 by David Walker, on Flickr
They say that from up here on a clear day you can se all the way to Paris. :banana:
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwalker-photography/51328473411/in/dateposted-public/

Newly completed buildings above Liverpool Street station.
London skyline-007 by David Walker, on Flickr

Canary Warf.
London skyline-010 by David Walker, on Flickr

Looking towards the Southbank.
London skyline-013 by David Walker, on Flickr

Back again tomorrow to do the other side of the building, hopefully that will throw up some other views.
It would nice to be able to get back in winter and time it for a sunrise, but unfortunately I don't get to schedule these things.

Lovely set especially as the conditions changed to see the difference and no windows to shoot through.
Love the glitter ball effect

I bet you took some boring (to most people) shots too.

Thanks for sharing these shots.
Reason #1, they're great shots.
Reason #2, I dislike heights!
Reason #3, I dislike being in London even more!!!

Awesome. I love seeing stuff like this.
Thank you.
Lovely set especially as the conditions changed to see the difference and no windows to shoot through.
Love the glitter ball effect

I bet you took some boring (to most people) shots too.
Thanks. Yes, the 'work' photos are the very definition of full.
Excellent!
Thank you!
What a wonderful pov. Really like the black and white.
Cheers. I think the time of day/year makes for quite boring light so B&W was a way of making them a bit more interesting.
Really feels a unique perspective. Thanks for sharing
(y)
You are privillaged indee to get such unusual viewpoints, thanks for sharing. (y)
Yep, it doesn't happen often, but whe it does I will be dammed if I go up with just a camera phone!
Thanks for sharing these shots.
Reason #1, they're great shots.
Reason #2, I dislike heights!
Reason #3, I dislike being in London even more!!!
You might like it a little more these days, it is very quiet!
Lovely shots, 2&4 are epic, cracking work
Thank you!

A couple more from today. Was all done by 9:00am as the wind picked up and it started getting a bit hairy.
Nothing really new to add so I switched to a longer lens to change things up a bit.

One Blackfriars and Southbank Tower.
London skyline-015 by David Walker, on Flickr

The top of the Shard.
London skyline-017 by David Walker, on Flickr

Tower Bridge.

London skyline-019 by David Walker, on Flickr

The sky garden at the top of the walkie talkie.
London skyline-025 by David Walker, on Flickr

BT Tower.
London skyline-014 by David Walker, on Flickr

Excellent, many thanks for sharing ;)

The Post Office Tower. I recall going up to the observation floor with my father when I was ten, twelve years old.

Lovely images, like the mood it creates with B&W. Really like the perspective on no 6.

A couple more from today. Was all done by 9:00am as the wind picked up and it started getting a bit hairy.
Nothing really new to add so I switched to a longer lens to change things up a bit.

One Blackfriars and Southbank Tower.
London skyline-015 by David Walker, on Flickr

I love the compression in this one. The Boomerang on The Eye. :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, it’s so refreshing to see a different angle of these famous landmarks.

Thanks everyone. :)

Excellent, many thanks for sharing ;)

The Post Office Tower. I recall going up to the observation floor with my father when I was ten, twelve years old.
I have never been up it, but I remember as a kid thinking it must be the tallest building in the world, then my uncle who worked at Westferry printers at time took me up One Canada Square. And of course now we have the Shard dwarfing everything.
Thanks for sharing, it’s so refreshing to see a different angle of these famous landmarks.
Thanks you. It is strangely addictive. I have been up just three times in the last two weeks and already thinking I need to try and get up to a taller building.

Are you able to take a friend next time? :) I mean, I know we're not friends just yet.... :cool:

A wonderful set.

As with Nod, I can't cope with heights..ie acrophobia but most people say 'vertigo' (infact it's height vertigo) but that's the symptom. To be honest, even looking at these photos affects me and so does looking up at these tall buildings from the footpath..go figure, as they say :)

Fabulous.

Loving number 2.
No way I could be that high up & not be inside the building.

Gaz

A wonderful set.

As with Nod, I can't cope with heights..ie acrophobia but most people say 'vertigo' (infact it's height vertigo) but that's the symptom. To be honest, even looking at these photos affects me and so does looking up at these tall buildings from the footpath..go figure, as they say :)
The first time I went up the guy giving the training asked why I was holding onto the sides of the basket so tight and if I was scared of heights. I told him heights don't bother me, but falling from them does!

The fact that these machines are so well built helps a lot, they are very stable so it feels no different to being on a high floor inside the building. I have been on others that are much less robust shall we say but on much smaller buildings, I remember one being just 9 floors up but the whole thing bounces around with every movement, that for me was much scarier!

Love all of them. You're so lucky to be able to get shots from those angles. Although like a lot of others i'm too scared of heights to be up there anyway :)

Wonderful. I see a book coming up. Seriously. Very few people with photographic talent are regularly able to get into those positions.

Back