A ladies 2 sons

Name
michael
Edit My Images
Yes
These was taken last week after a lady contacted me and wanted some pictures of her 2 sons to use as christmas presents, i used a atom 360 with a 24"x24" gridded softbox

all comments are welcome

thanks Mickey

ps. The processing on the wider shot (7) may not be to everyone's taste just me playing about with the highlight and shadow slider's in lightroom.

1/

untitled-11 by mickey, on Flickr

2/

untitled-21 by mickey, on Flickr

3/

untitled-44 by mickey, on Flickr

4/

untitled-13 by mickey, on Flickr

5/

untitled-20 by mickey, on Flickr

6/

untitled-37 by mickey, on Flickr

7/

young man by mickey, on Flickr

When shooting outdoor opened scenes like here, you don't really
need the grid… though it won't disturb either.

Proper sons for the Michael dynasty!

Really nice. Only crit is a little bit of a magenta tint that's affecting skin colours.

Love them. Unusually "for me" I think those black and white portraits are great.

gaz

Love the lighting, colours and the separation from the background.

???
The grid does what it does, what does being outdoors have to do with it? It's not just about controlling spill around the subject.

Granted, the amount of flash power/input used doesn't make it terribly apparent a grid was used. But that's somewhat irrelevant...

Proper sons for the Michael dynasty!
Thank you, the grid was just me being lazy and not being bothered in taking it of.

Very nice! I particularly #4 and #6 - apart from the vignette.

This isn't a criticism, just an observation - the flash doesn't quite marry with the ambient light of the outdoor shots. It makes the subjects pop but the harshness of the flash is a tiny bit unnatural.

Very nice! I particularly #4 and #6 - apart from the vignette.

This isn't a criticism, just an observation - the flash doesn't quite marry with the ambient light of the outdoor shots. It makes the subjects pop but the harshness of the flash is a tiny bit unnatural.
I'll have to check the vignette in #4 & #6 because I can't remember adding any although it's very plausible that I did.

All outside shots the ambient was 1 stop under exposed maybe I should of went 1/2 stop under?
I do like the extra pop from the flash but I completely understand what your saying.

Thanks for taking the time and commenting much appreciated.

Mickey.

Great set - personally i'd like to lift the shadows on the eyes in the 1st one (moreso the furthest eye) Otherwise superb

Look great to me. Was going to say the same as Simon. #3 in particular looks a little too "popped" IMO.

#4 is my pick, love the lighting and nice conversion.

Look great to me. Was going to say the same as Simon. #3 in particular looks a little too "popped" IMO.

#4 is my pick, love the lighting and nice conversion.
Yeah probably should of just went 1/2 stop under ambient that would of given it a more balanced look, thank you for commenting much appreciated.

Mickey

Late commenting on these, for which I apologise. First shot is great, closely followed by #4. Number 2 is a lovely capture, natural pose and well balanced lighting. The composition in the third one for me doesn't quite work, the leading lines of the railings are leading out of the shot, but in #7 you sorted this out. Number 5 I really like, #6 is cropped a bit tight at the bottom for me.

Agree with @juggler about the flash/ambient balance. I tend to expose correctly for the ambient, and just use flash to lift the shadows, usually on ETTL but at about -1 to -2 on FEC. Sometimes need to play about a bit with the settings depending on whether in shade, etc.

Last edited:
Late commenting on these, for which I apologise. First shot is great, closely followed by #4. Number 2 is a lovely capture, natural pose and well balanced lighting. The composition in the third one for me doesn't quite work, the leading lines of the railings are leading out of the shot, but in #7 you sorted this out. Number 5 I really like, #6 is cropped a bit tight at the bottom for me.

Agree with @juggler about the flash/ambient balance. I tend to expose correctly for the ambient, and just use flash to lift the shadows, usually on ETTL but at about -1 to -2 on FEC. Sometimes need to play about a bit with the settings depending on whether in shade, etc.
Thank you taking the time to comment, I do agree with the leading lines in #3 luckily I always overshoot and shoot multiple angles just so I've got plenty of options, I will probably slightly change the way I shoot outside with regards to ambient/flash, rather than go 1full stop under ambient I'll just go 1/2 stop under this should give a slightly better balance, having said that I do like the pop so I suppose it's down to personal taste as long as it's not to harsh.

Thanks again for commenting I really do appreciate it.

Mickey

Back