A Little Embarrassing....

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had my new PC for just over a week, really love it, it's handled everything I've thrown at it without breaking into a sweat.

As a quick test I picked 10 photos in Lightroom exported them, it took 1m 25s. The same 10 photos on my laptop took about 9 mins!!!

Anyway, I was considering buying a hotswap tray so I could plug my back up hard drives into it rather than using my USB3.0 Icydock.

I then noticed that there was a gap in the front of the case (Coolermaster Silencio 550), looked like there should have been a blanking plate there but it was hidden behind the door.

Randomly saw a picture of the case with a HDD hanging out the front of it.... so it transpires it has a SATA Hotswap bay built in :nuts::bonk:

Seems like you have to have the drive plugged in when you boot it up and shutdown to remove but it's no biggy :)

You should be able to allow it to hotswap if your SATA are in AHCI mode.

But it's too late to change now, change into AHCI will not allow you to boot into your Windows. There is a registry hack to do it, but I've never done it myself.

But it's too late to change now, change into AHCI will not allow you to boot into your Windows. There is a registry hack to do it, but I've never done it myself.

Checked the BIOS last night and it's showing AHCI mode :thinking:

Hum, is it connected to the same Intel controller on your motherboard? Some have 8 or more SATA ports, Intel controller should be the 6 marked the same.

(assuming Intel based computer, of course)

Hum, is it connected to the same Intel controller on your motherboard? Some have 8 or more SATA ports, Intel controller should be the 6 marked the same.

(assuming Intel based computer, of course)

It looks like it's plugged into the SATA6 port

Russ you have things set up correctly

As you are using an SSD you should be in AHCI mode

Mobo is an ASUS® Z87-PRO and yes, I have an SSD as my boot/sys disc.

I don't know, if it's plugged into the yellow port, and Intel controller is set to AHCI, normally should be hot-swappable.

I don't know, if it's plugged into the yellow port, and Intel controller is set to AHCI, normally should be hot-swappable.

Cheers for that.... I'll take another look when I get home tonight :)

you only need the reg hack if you blue screen after changing (normally the boot drive) to AHCI.

ive done it before, works perfectly.

Cheers for that.... I'll take another look when I get home tonight :)
A lot of mobos you also have to set the mode of the port to hot plug detect - and this is true of your board. When you set AHCI mode, you will see that underneath there will be Hot Plug Detect setting for each of the SATA ports. That needs to be enabled for the port yours is plugged into.

If it is on the additional Asmedia controller, that is set in the Onboard Devices section of the BIOS and also needs to have HPD enabled in the BIOS.

A lot of mobos you also have to set the mode of the port to hot plug detect - and this is true of your board. When you set AHCI mode, you will see that underneath there will be Hot Plug Detect setting for each of the SATA ports. That needs to be enabled for the port yours is plugged into.

If it is on the additional Asmedia controller, that is set in the Onboard Devices section of the BIOS and also needs to have HPD enabled in the BIOS.

Cheers for that!!

These settings worked.... kinda.... the PC now recognises the drive when I slot it in but I can't find anyway of ejecting it :(

Last edited:
These settings worked.... kinda.... the PC now recognises the drive when I slot it in but I can't find anyway of ejecting it :(

Chances are you can just unplug it and it will cope. My ASUS P8P67 copes fine with that so yours is very likely to.

Bottom right near the clock there should be a little icon that looks like the end of a usb lead with a green tick, if you hover your mouse over it it will read "safely remove hardware or reject media" - just click on the icon and select your hard drive and then eject

You didn't mention the need to eject... :p :D Keith W's description is the right way to do it (assuming you have all the right chipset drivers installed) ;)

Back