A new Challenge / Help needed

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I have had this idea rolling around in my head for months now

How good a black and white photo can I get for the cheapest possible amount of money ?

I have a budget of £0 - £10 for the entire project

I need to get a 35mm camera and 50mm lens as cheap as possible any make or model as long as it will expose a roll of 125 ASA film .

I have visited my local boot sale to try and find a camera , no luck yet but will go again Sunday if its not raining

Also need 1 roll of film again free or cheap even out of date

I will then walk ( ME walk :eek: ) around my local community and expose the roll of film

I have the kit to develop and print ( Free as a member of TP's dad wanted to clear out his old darkroom equipment and I was fortunate to be given this kit , Thanks again (y)) , but no chemicals or paper ( anyone have any they don't need ? or use any longer )

I am a bit concerned that you may look at this post and think I am on the ponce trying to get something for nothing

The whole idea of this is to try and produce a very good print for next to nothing price wise

I own a Rollei SL35 system and a Pentax 67 MK11 system but If I use these it defeats the whole project idea

I will post a wanted add to see if I can obtain the items needed

I will keep the thread updated with any progress

Thanks

Allen

google up "caffenol" for the chemicals - you MAY find you've everything you need to process film already in the pantry and under the kitchen sink!

I have 6 rolls of Kodak TMax 400 sat in the fridge. Expired 04/2012. Should be OK. You can have as many/few as you want for reimbursement of postage.

PM me if you want.
(I'm not selling, merely giving from the kindness of my heart, so the mods won't explode)

I need to get a 35mm camera and 50mm lens as cheap as possible any make or model as long as it will expose a roll of 125 ASA film .

Whilst a 35mm camera is obviously well suited to this, the 50mm lens requirement might make it a lot more difficult. Are you basically saying you need to buy an SLR for it? Because you can pick up compacts well within that price range, many of which will probably do the job just fine - many of them had surprisingly good lenses, often Tessar designs.

Best of luck with your project, make sure you post up what you shoot! We always like to see other film shots, both for interest and inspiration.

I have 6 rolls of Kodak TMax 400 sat in the fridge. Expired 04/2012. Should be OK. You can have as many/few as you want for reimbursement of postage.

PM me if you want.
(I'm not selling, merely giving from the kindness of my heart, so the mods won't explode)

Thanks

PM sent

In the spirit of the challenge, and just to help you out you understand, I am prepared to swap a highly collectable and sought after Zenith E complete with the highly regarded Helios 44-2 lens and I'll even throw in a roll of OOD Ilford Delta 100 and a 1/2 used bottle of Rodinal for your big, bulky and unwieldy Pentax 67. And just to save you the cost and inconvenience of posting the 67 I will even hand deliver the Zenith and remove the offending Pentax.

Now I can't say fairer than that, can I? :naughty:

Film now sorted , many thanks to mickledore (y)

In the spirit of the challenge, and just to help you out you understand, I am prepared to swap a highly collectable and sought after Zenith E complete with the highly regarded Helios 44-2 lens and I'll even throw in a roll of OOD Ilford Delta 100 and a 1/2 used bottle of Rodinal for your big, bulky and unwieldy Pentax 67. And just to save you the cost and inconvenience of posting the 67 I will even hand deliver the Zenith and remove the offending Pentax.

Now I can't say fairer than that, can I? :naughty:

I may have to think about that very generous offer :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Whilst a 35mm camera is obviously well suited to this, the 50mm lens requirement might make it a lot more difficult. Are you basically saying you need to buy an SLR for it? Because you can pick up compacts well within that price range, many of which will probably do the job just fine - many of them had surprisingly good lenses, often Tessar designs.

Best of luck with your project, make sure you post up what you shoot! We always like to see other film shots, both for interest and inspiration.

I take on board your comments re a compact , but I need to be able to select the aperture , film speed and be able to manually focus the lens ( old school proper photography ) ;)

google up "caffenol" for the chemicals - you MAY find you've everything you need to process film already in the pantry and under the kitchen sink!

Is that it :eek:

2.7 cups water
10tsp Instant coffee
6.25tsp washing soda
2.5g vitamin-C

Does it work well ? anyone tried it ?

Is that it :eek:

2.7 cups water
10tsp Instant coffee
6.25tsp washing soda
2.5g vitamin-C

Does it work well ? anyone tried it ?

Some people on here swear by it

I'm a bit less convinced though

I haven't heard much from Alan or Ed recently but they are two big proponents of it - you should be able to find some of their posts regarding it with the search function, Ed in particular often provides a great amount of detail in his posts which you should find helpful.

don't forget poundland for film ... it will be cheaper than posting it !

don't forget poundland for film ... it will be cheaper than posting it !

I searched Poundland in Edinburgh's Nicholson St the other day for film and saw nothing. Is it only some stores that sell it?

The last I had a look, some had it out prominently, some were mixed up with other stuff (and it never seems to be near the batteries either), and at least one store had it but the staff kept it under the counter, and only produced it when requested!

Went to my local boot sale today , only found one 35mm slr a Canon AE-1 with 50mm lens and leather case , It had a jammed shutter / rewind as I could not get it to wind on or release the shutter , I asked " How much for the camera ? "

£45 Mate

needles to say I am still looking :(

Had a look at ebay? I got a Praktica MTL3 + 58mm lens for £12, half of that was postage though. If you could get something at a funny hour or free collection then it could be very cheap...

cafenol works as a paper developer too (had reasonable results with kentmere anyway)

I could loan you a decent camera if that would help? You want full or half frame?

I could loan you a decent camera if that would help? You want full or half frame?

That's a very kind offer , But I already own a Rollei 35mm and a Pentax 67

Half the challenge is to obtain a unloved and worth next to nothing camera / lens

Run a roll of film through it ( 35mm ) develop the film and do a print all to the best of my ability , and see just how good or bad it is :LOL:

All for under £10

I have now obtained a roll of film , already have a film developing pot and a enlarger , so the camera is still on the list ;)

Once again Thanks

how about if you bought a camera, and sold it for the same amount ? that way it's cost nothing ?

how about if you bought a camera, and sold it for the same amount ? that way it's cost nothing ?

Thats a possibility , but will go to several more boot sales first

Thanks

Hi

Managed to pick up a Zenit 12 XP

with a 58mm F2 lens , its very clean and surprisingly heavy also come with a leather case lined with blue velvet , all seems to work but I will run it through all the apertures and shutter speeds just to make sure

He wanted £10 but I managed to get it for £6.50 :D

So still in budget , after testing I will load the roll of film and off I go for a shooting session :cool:(y)

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

All the miles walked at boot sales may have paid off :LOL:

Allen in order to keep your project under a tenner I'll happily scan your film for you, as you're in London we could even meet up to save on the postage (y)

Allen in order to keep your project under a tenner I'll happily scan your film for you, as you're in London we could even meet up to save on the postage (y)

Hello Nick

Thanks for the offer but the idea is to

Shoot a roll of film
Develop the film
and produce a wet print ( best one selected from the roll )

Time will tell ;)

Cheers

Got some paper you can have for the price if postage :) New illford pack 25 sheets

Got some paper you can have for the price if postage :) New illford pack 25 sheets

Thats very kind of you
I will PM you my address

Once again many thanks

Had a quick look at the Zenit before going to work

And found that the batteries for the metering have leaked badly , managed to get one out but the other one is stuck good and fast , may try drilling a small hole and trying to pick it out , My hunch is the metering is now dead :|

Still usable though

Need to try and clean the dust out the mirror look like the surface of the moon :LOL: I could grow potatoes on it :LOL:

Battery no 2 removed and yes the metering is dead as the acid from the battery's has corroded the inner contact away , it fell out when I turned the body upside down

O well , ho hum

On to cleaning the lens and mirror now ;)

Lens front and rear elements now cleaned , also the mirror
Still looks crap through the viewfinder :LOL:

Battery no 2 removed and yes the metering is dead as the acid from the battery's has corroded the inner contact away , it fell out when I turned the body upside down

O well , ho hum

On to cleaning the lens and mirror now ;)

There is always the Sunny 16 rule which is free! :LOL:

Heather

Back