A new direction - SWPP Mentoring???

riu

Name
steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Having dabbled in photography for a good few years, mainly in wildlife and sport I have found I quite like photographing people.
A while back i went on a wedding and portrait course and loved it. Since then I have done a couple of friends weddings with reasonable success. I am now wanting to concentrate in this area, and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the SWPP and its mentoring schemes, or any other body that does something similar.

regards

I have has experience with SWPP years ago and it wasn't brilliant.

To me their business model is about getting new members not keeping members.

Reactions: riu
The SWPP mentoring I got for candid wedding shots was just telling me how I should've posed people better. Utterly useless.

Reactions: riu
Hmmm - think I may look elsewhere
thanks

Dan, can you recommend any of the other organisations that offer mentoring?

Sorry Steve, I can't. The only "formal training" we ever tried was a one-day foundation course in wedding photography which the BIPP ran years ago. It was totally useless. So bad in fact that not only both of us, but also at least two other attendees got our money back.

Besides, I was never a fan of this mentoring lark ...

Let's start at Q1:

What is it you think you want to learn?

Phil,
I am not naïve and I understand I have a lot to learn, my thoughts on "mentoring" were more down the line of building a professional relationship with someone far more talented than myself that could guide me on where I am, and what I need to to get where I want to be. I am happy for my work to be critiqued but find it can become subjective and not objective when done via the forum routes. Hope this makes sense??

Phil,
I am not naïve and I understand I have a lot to learn, my thoughts on "mentoring" were more down the line of building a professional relationship with someone far more talented than myself that could guide me on where I am, and what I need to to get where I want to be. I am happy for my work to be critiqued but find it can become subjective and not objective when done via the forum routes. Hope this makes sense??
Hi Steve
It was a genuine question. Don't feel the need to be defensive :D, I don't want you to defend your reason for seeking a mentor, I just wanted to know what you felt you'd get from it.

Critique is available from many sources (I'm not a fan of forum critique either btw). For me the SWPP at its worst is useless, and at its best can be useful, but there's a bit of a 'house style' from people who use all the available training, which makes me want to run a mile. Have a look at some of the better training providers, hook up with other local photographers, or join an organisation if you really feel the need. But go in with your eyes open and sense check everything you hear.

Phil,
I know it was a genuine question- you live in Yorkshire ;), and I did nt mean to come across as defensive. I value the time you and other forum members put in to advise others. I will heed advice and keep clear of the said organisation. Going to trawl the net and see what networking I can unearth. Checked your website and some stunning stuff.
regards
Steve

Back