A new visitor to the garden - The Bullfinch :-)

Edit My Images
Yes
This chap has been making an appearance very day for the last few days so I thought I'd get out and try and capture a couple of shots, as he appeared the rain came on but I stuck it out ;)

Male Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula)

311265968_KoKRM-XL.jpg

Canon 30D - Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX - ISO 400 1/200th @ F4.5

311262783_sDoWn-L.jpg

Canon 30D - Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX - ISO 400 1/160th @ F4.5

Just a quick couple of the shots I took, might add more later if you like them.

Mike.

Last edited:
You lucky duck! I'd love it if our Bullfinches returned. Only saw them once about 7 years ago :( Really lovely shots of a really lovely bird. Keep them coming! (y)

Couple of good shots (y)
Second one for me :)

Hi,

thanks Jo, Hairy, not had much chance to get out into the garden for more, too many chores to be done around here just now :(

Mike.

Great images Mike ... (y) ... super birds these and very hard to get the eye on these as well as you have done ... :D

:p

:agree: they are great images, sharp where it matters

Nice shots, the males are normally a bit more red on the breast arn`t they?

Mark

Thanks for sharing these, Mike. They are one of my favourite birds to see (although they can be a bit of a bully though... no pun intended!)

The females have a buff coloured breast, Mark. Not bright pink/red like this at all.

Nice pics and good to see these birds again(y). I saw a male last year and a female in local woods a couple of days ago, first time for decades. Didn't have the camera though.

The females have a buff coloured breast, Mark. Not bright pink/red like this at all.

Sorry I meant that sometimes the plumage of the male dull`s a little (say over winter) and was just wondering if this male was the usual for the summer all the others I have seen have been a vibrant red, the breast on this one sems a little less colourful than I would have expected it.

Thats not taking anything away from the shot i really like it.

Mark

Nice shots Mikey. These birds are really beautiful, shame we only get them on rare occassions in our garden :-(

Hi All,

I maybe lightened the shot a bit much in my PP in an attempt to bring out the head and eye with it being so black, which maybe reduced the redness of the breast, I use Lightroom ( Hate PS 'cos I can't use it lol ) but it doesn't have dodge and burn tools so you have to do the pic as a whole rather than smaller areas.

Mike.

Back