A Picture a day (My 365) . . . Made it to the End!

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
No
I was only directed to TP the other week, from another forum. I must say it's like another world in here. I've spent the week discovering all sorts of incredible images that have inspired me to continue with my 365.

Anyway I want to improve and this has rekindled my basic passion that this photography malarkey is something I enjoy, so I welcome any comments and advice you may have. My 365 is in my sig.

Thanks

Oh and my kit is a bit basic (350D and some cheap lenses), The first 5 shots were even taken with my compact too.

Last edited:
Wow, not a single comment :shake:

Sorry was just looking forward to some helpful advice, comments, tips.

Last edited:
Looks good Shrub, LOVE the light trail shot!
Try posting them on here too, so peeps can see them. Keep up the good work dude!

I'll watch, looks like you have some super images in there already. Glad you're here.

John

You might get more comments posting some of them in here :)

There are some really nice shots though...I like the abstracts! :)

Thanks folks, sorry yes I guess it would be easier to post the shots directly on here (y)

I'll make a start with todays:
22nd Jan: Time Ring Mosaic and my favorite section 'Viking Olaf Tryggvason' (more info: http://tinyurl.com/bftyo8). Never really looked at this before, must have walked over it 100 times or more. Shame I've not got a wide lens. Image looked a little flat, so RAW saved as high, low, mid exposures and processed as HDR in Photomatix.

459678137_wzAuE-L.jpg

Last edited:
Deleted Jan 23rd, did nothing for me, changed to the one below...

Last edited:
Nice start to your 365 SM :)

Somedays you'll get images you are not really happy with and others you'll get more than you know what to do with - its just the way it goes with 365's.

Chris

23rd Jan: Making the tea, a local landmark. It was so windy, at times I thought it would blow my camera and tripod off the foot bridge I was standing on. Hope tomorrow will throw up a better opportunity. Also managed to clean the crud from my sensor (thanks to Lenspen Sensor Clean)
460257104_gEzWR-L.jpg

Used my old Canon 75-300 to zoom right in and get a different angle. Probably breaks all the composition rules, but my best pic of the day.

Last edited:
24th Jan: Rotisserie Chicken, noticed this whilst out for a pub lunch, it was tucked away in a dark alcove, there was a tiny shelve behind bars that I placed the camera on. took a lot of shots, very dark and very hard to get anything with any detail (edited in Photomatix). I'm sure if anybody saw me they would have thought I was mad.

460801438_VejbC-L.jpg

Last edited:
I really like that. I like the movement and the way the heat is captured.

Thanks for the comments, not quite the shot I wanted, but very confined space and terrible light. Also it's put me right off chicken for some reason :)

25th Jan: Hampshire 1930s, looks like a miniature model, but it's full scale street from Basingstoke's Milestones Museum. Lighting was really tricky as it was in a kind of purpose built hall (like an aircraft hanger), with little natural light. For this 4 second exposure I had to use my lightest lens (Canon 50mm 1.8) on a mini Hema tripod that I got free on a magazine, placed it on the floor (very happy with the composition seeing as it was just guess work) and used remote switch, also hard timing it just right to avoid getting any other visitors in the shot too. Edited in Photomatix to bring out the detail in the darkness of the motorcycle and tyres. Some parts are blown, but I found it just too difficult to get right.

461521231_Kc77E-L.jpg

Last edited:
1930's one looks good... You did a good job out of the situation presented!

26th Jan: Was in Bracknell today and have been wanting to capture the old derelict 3M office tower block that dominates the town's skyline (notice broken windows and fire damage). Took lots of pictures straight on, to fill the frame with row's of windows, or shots of the building from a distance, but this is the last shot I took, accentuated the saturation in Photomatix as I think there is a certain beauty of the building set against the white clouds and blue sky

462294642_NTLAw-L.jpg

27th Jan: Not the right composition, but was standing on a bend of narrow road. I Liked the trees following the stream and the cute miniature pony taking it easy (shame he is behind the tree) as the sun tries to break through the mist. This is my first shot using AEB set at 0, -1, +1 with the 3 RAW files merged and processed in Photomatix.

462906070_GNcfr-L.jpg

29th Jan: Difficult today, overcast sky put paid to number of other ideas, saw a group interesting worn benches by a moss covered wall, needed a close up to avoid getting any horrible concrete in the shot (edited in Photomatix to bring out the detail in the moss)

464044250_hVPTW-L.jpg

28th Jan: Not much use for these anymore...

463458862_aS2ai-L.jpg

What on earth is this... looks like a sim card type affair...:thinking: is it??
Love the Bracknell Building too. Very bright and colourfull and good perspective! :clap:

Hehe, it's a SmartMedia card, well macro shot of the contacts (max 128mb), was in my first digital compact camera.

30th Jan: Didn't go to plan today, went to the roof of the only multi-storey car park in town to get some shots of various buildings, after about 5 minutes a police car roars up and 2 officers (well pretend officers as they were community support) confront me saying it's private property (fair enough, I'll move along) one officer goes on to mention the terrorism risk thing, why oh why does using a camera in a public place draw that kind of response, what kind of world do we live in. Anyway headed home and took this emergency in the kitchen with mega HDR editing (to reflect my mood).

464594385_5HqR9-L.jpg

Last edited:
PCSO's - pain in the rear at times.

you should have taken a picture of them for todays shot :LOL:

They did not seem in a good mood, plus they followed me right out the carpark and across town. about 20 minutes later I was in Asda getting some bits and there they were again :cautious:

Last edited:
31st Jan: Thought-Provoking, Kings Royal Rifle Corps Memorial outside Winchester Cathedral. Forced to take this shot (with small aperture) with 50mm lens and my rubbish little desk tripod (resting on a tomb), but a different angle than any other shots I can find on Google. Single RAW edited in Photomatix and some lens distortion adjustments in Photoshop. Only 11 more months to go :-s

465103011_fYGZH-L.jpg

Last edited:
26th Jan: Was in Bracknell today and have been wanting to capture the old derelict 3M office tower block that dominates the town's skyline (notice broken windows and fire damage). Took lots of pictures straight on, to fill the frame with row's of windows, or shots of the building from a distance, but this is the last shot I took, accentuated the saturation in Photomatix as I think there is a certain beauty of the building set against the white clouds and blue sky

462294642_NTLAw-L.jpg

Love this - well spotted (y)

1st Feb: Door 2 Door (Romsey Abbey). 3 RAW AEB exposures merged and edited in Photomatix, Finishing touches in Photoshop to adjust lens distortion and layer blend mode to convert to grayscale.

465787248_hYkj3-L.jpg

Thanks folks, Taken shots of these 2 doors a few years ago, don't know why, but I'm drawn to them every time we have visit the Abbey.

2nd Feb: Forecasters said it was the most severe snow in the UK for six years. Had trouble finding a decent snowy composition that worked today, so settled for the under saturated snow laden skies over field and maize game cover. 3 RAW AEB exposures merged in Photomatix then Photoshop for dodging, gradient and levels adjustments

466517461_S6rVe-L.jpg

Back