A Question if I may... What would you buy given a fresh start, clean slate approach???

Easy answer. Buy a Hasselblad. Job done ;)

32780168866_fa6dfb0b04_z.jpg

A big part of me is starting again now and I am over the moon. I first had a try with bridge cameras then a Fuji XF1 and on to the Canon system, the weight did my head in so just got rid of all the Canon stuff and now have the Fuji X-T20 and two XC lenses, and the X-T2 and great kit lens, one more lens to get then I am one happy bunny :)

It could very much so, I don't dispute that. I just tried to respond the best I could based on limited info from the OP. Having tried various systems I personally didn't find the A7 series gave me much a size and weight saving over a DSLR with comparable lenses. Obviously some folk feel different, and I guess when you use something like a 50mm f1.8 the overall weight saving with an A7 is circa 20%, which does sound significant. However, in the real world it didn't 'feel' that different to me. Maybe it's the grip or balance, which then becomes much more subjective and why there is a wide difference of opinion (y)

But going back to the F4 lens for a second. If you look at the 24-70mm f4 on the A7II you could get the 12-40mm f2.8 on an EM1 which obviously has one stop better light gathering therefore narrowing the gap of the extra light gathering ability of the A7, plus the Olly setup is lighter and smaller even though it's f2.8 vs f4. Use the 12-40mm on the EM5-II and it's lighter and smaller still (camerasize has the weight wrong for the EM5-II).

There's just too much bloomin choice ;) And without knowing the OP's wants and needs we could go back and forth all day long :LOL:
I know the feeling

A big part of me is starting again now and I am over the moon. I first had a try with bridge cameras then a Fuji XF1 and on to the Canon system, the weight did my head in so just got rid of all the Canon stuff and now have the Fuji X-T20 and two XC lenses, and the X-T2 and great kit lens, one more lens to get then I am one happy bunny :)
Yeah yeah,just one more ,we believe you

In hindsight all those years ago, I should have purchased a Sony A6000 +16-50 kit lens

Last edited:
Ok, so once again please accept my heartfelt thanks for all the many and varied replies :ty:

So many cameras to choose from and each having excellent credentials and strongpoints. Many of you have really given this some considerable thought and your replies have proven real food for thought.

As it stands, I’m now quite certain that what I’m after is a small, almost pocketable, camera with a good quality lens and large sensor...a minimum of 1” and possibly aps-c in size. The Panasonic GX80 is still high on my list as the ability to use a pancake or swap to a decent zoom is very tempting...and the GX80 seems to give a substantial ‘bang for buck’ ratio too.

A little more consideration to other camera choices is on the cards before I commit but the selection process has been anything but easy :runaway:

And so the quest continues...

Andy :confused:

Back