A question of choice

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
This thread has liitle to do with photography. But since this is a long holiday weekend; and the rather dull weather prevents me from going out and about, this is the only entertainment I had.

First off, fingers crossed, twisted even, I am close to getting a X Pan; complete with both 45 and 90 mm lens. :clap:

So, time to sell off some of the stuff. And that puts me in a quandry. Whch ones?

So, If you had the following kit; which camera or lens would you keep; and whch ones will go?

1. Contax RTS SLR + 24,28,35,45,80,135 prime and 35-70,70-210 zoom

2. Leica CL + 40+90mm

3. Contax G1 + 28+45+90

4. Contax IIa + 50 + 135mm

5. Voigtlander / Olympus RC / Rollei 35 fixed lens RF

6. XPan + 45+90mm

7. Hassy CM 500 + TTL metered viewfinder + 80 + 150mm

8. Mamiya 6 + 50 + 80mm

What would you do if you had these....;)

Depends how much you're selling the hasselblad for and how much I get for my RB67 ;)

Keep all the MF, the X-Pan and the Contax SLR.
Choose 1 35mm RF kit and dump the rest....:D

Which were the last 3 you used?

xPan, RTS, then a toughie but CL or G1.

Thanks guys. Here is my dilemma

Why 2 6X6? Which MF should I keep? It will make sense to add the missing lens to the MF I keep : either a 150mm for the Mamiya or 50 mm for the Hassy. Or 40 mm for the hassy so that I can produce Pano by cutting off the top and bottom. Or buy a 645 Mamiya body and sell off the Hassy body so that i can use the Hassy lens on a 645 body.

Why more than 2 RF (1 colour and 1 B/W film). Why even 2, if X Pan can do it all? Why not sell all the other Rf and buy the 30mm for X pan?

Why the 35mm SLR?

Here is my dilemma with each of the camera

1. Contax RTS SLR + 24,28,35,45,80,135 prime and 35-70,70-210 zoom
Why keep the SLR? The only advantage is a 80mm lens, for a nice tight portrait. Plus the TTL flash.But why keep all those prime, and the zooms. So should I sell off all the primes other that the 80mm and use the SLR for using the zooms?

2. Leica CL + 40+90mm
The beauty of this is the size. Fits any pocket. But if the lightmeter dies, its an expensive fix. Should I sell it while it can still fetch a good price?

3. Contax G1 + 28+45+90
One of the best lens ever. Auto-focus, and my eye sight is failing pretty quickly. Plus the TTL flash. But the size is a bit akward, doesn't fit the pockets very well

4. Contax IIa + 50 + 135mm
Lovely 50 mm lens; but why else?

5. Voigtlander / Olympus RC / Rollei 35 fixed lens RF
The first 2 are cheap and can be used rough. Fits even the shirt pocket. But why have them if there are other RFs

6. XPan + 45+90mm
No idea what to expect, still to use

7. Hassy CM 500 + TTL metered viewfinder + 80 + 150mm
Lovely lens. 150mm great for portrait. But big, heavy and certainly doesn't fit any pocket

8. Mamiya 6 + 50 + 80mm
Lovely lens but no good for a portrait.

Joxer, I know you love 6X6; but why keep 2.

Arthur, the 'test' use is not helpful. In any case, why suggest 2 RF?

I was more curious to see what you would have kept if you had the same kits; and was looking to reduce

If I had to make a choice of which cameras to keep, and which ones to get rid of, from that particular list....

I'd just sit on the carpet, in the middle of the room, and weep like a baby.

Then keep them all.

And then buy the Xpan - they don't put pockets in shrouds!

I guess you mean the xPan and the CL/G1? Why not, xPan is not a pocket camera. with a 35mm lens, it is also only 6 frames a film (yes?) so keep a 35mm as well for extended film shooting. Simples.

As you say, sell the Contax - it's a name is all and the lens will fit the CL, no?

The big MF's - xPan outperforms them... unless you get a studio which I doubt?

PS - no good asking me though, I bought 8 cameras in the last 10 days :D

I guess you mean the xPan and the CL/G1? Why not, xPan is not a pocket camera. with a 35mm lens, it is also only 6 frames a film (yes?) so keep a 35mm as well for extended film shooting.

24mmx65mm negatives iirc so should get 21 on a standard roll, if all pano. shots

I love your suggestion Bigyin. May be...

Arthur..6 frames per film? you must be wrong. I thought it was 21 frames per normal 35 mm film. And no, I dont think the contax lens fits any other camera....but I may be wrong. BTW; a new shed is coming up in the garden....who knows....

So, forget me, what would you do, if you happen to have the same collection...

I would hide them in BY's shed alongside his :D

If it were me though, G1, RTS, xPan and the Hassy

Permanent pocket camera, standard 35mm for walkaround, xPan for big country and Hassy for portrait/showing off (to be honest, rts for portraits really)

Ok arthur, but why the G1 over the CL which is more pocketable; and which lens on the RTS? only the 85mm for the portrait or any other as well?

G1 is nicer, CL will die eventually as you say. Keep each set of lenses, no reason to get rid - that way you will have two full systems (RTS, Hass) and the other two to fill the gaps.

imo 6x6 as a format is not that important.

The advantages of SLR's v Rangefinders is worth exploring.

so you have a 35 SLR and a 35 RF, an MF SLR and an MF RF, seems like you cover all angles besides the unconventional.....pano

If you want MF pano its gonna have to be Fuji 6x17, in the same way its an X-Pan for 35mm pano.

I like the mam 6/7, I wouldn't sell it because there is nothing else, there is no other MF metered RF with a lens range besides a few obscure unobtainables like Makina or Polaroid.

Depends what you want to shoot the most I s'pose

Back