A question of conscience ?

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I was in Liverpool early this morning when a man in his 40's fell / jumped 30 ft from one of the upper levels of the Liverpool One shopping centre. I didn't witness the event - I passed around 5 minutes later - when the police, ambulance, shopping centre security etc sealed off the area. From the upper levels looking down to the ground floor you could see the area where this person was being treated by the paramedics although they were behind screens.

It did cross my mind to get some photos and take them directly to the Liverpool Echo just around the corner. However I felt it wasn't appropriate.

What does eveyone else think ? Would you have snapped all you could then sold them for print ? or would you have felt awkward and feel that snapping someone's unfortunate demise for profit ?

One of those situations where it's what you would have done, not anyone else. You didn't feel it appropriate so that was the right decision for you.

Personally, anyone who sees it purely as a way to make money needs their moral compass re-aligning IMO but equally there are possibly other reasons why the photos would have a purpose for news and public interest.

One of those situations where it's what you would have done, not anyone else. You didn't feel it appropriate so that was the right decision for you.

Personally, anyone who sees it purely as a way to make money needs their moral compass re-aligning IMO but equally there are possibly other reasons why the photos would have a purpose for news and public interest.

:agree:

But a few shots of the E services doing their bit would have been OK imho that is :)

No, I wouldn't have taken photos either. But if I saw somebody else doing so, I wouldn't object and indeed I can see some merit in doing that, quite apart from any monetary gain.

But what if an airliner crashed into the city centre right in front of you? Frankly, I think you'd have a duty to take as many pictures as possible.

Richard.

:agree:

But a few shots of the E services doing their bit would have been OK imho that is :)
:plus1:

The actual event, well it just wouldn't feel right
The emergency services - absolutely. In fact I would go so far as saying the current attitude of the nation towards photographers is going to mean we get less quality shots of the emergency services doing what they do best - helping people.

As I said - I didn't witness the actual event, just saw the emergency services sealing off the area and treating the victim behind screens.
Having read a number of posts on here regarding the police & security guards etc I had the feeling that if I whipped out my d40 and started clicking away then I would have been given a stern talking to. lol.

My sentiments exactly.

If there was the potential that an image captured of the overall scene (not the shot from above showing the poor chap sprawled on the ground being tended to) could be used to highlight errors or potential blame where the showing might spark remedies, learning or positive action then I do see the case for taking a shot.

But if you're talking about someone who is mentally ill then association, blame or remedies are hard to assess from a photo and I would keep my camera by my side.

Pxl8 is about right.

I covered Fatboy Slims gigson the beach here in Brighton, and there a couple of deaths, one was a heart attack after the gig had ended, another was an Australianwoman, if memory servces me right, who fell from the Prom and died from here injuries. With 250,000 people in attendance against a planned for 60,000 2 deaths only, *** sad,were remarkable.
Ifeltuncomfortable but cameto theconclusion it was very news worthy, and I was only photographing the scene, cordoned off, guarded by police. So before I did I asked to speak to the media officer who told me 'no chance',so went to the scene itself and spoke to the officers guarding the scene for foresnics. 'So long as you are discrete and do so from a distance I won't nick ya.' He didn't even make me feel like the b4stard I felt like I was.....so I'd always try asking first.

Back