a question on off-camera flash

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
I am thinking of trying some off camera flash.

The flash will be on non-TTL but auto mode; triggered by radio trigger.

The camera will be, say, 20 feet away, with a 135 mm lens; and the flash will be a hammer head flash, 5 feet away, at a 45 degree angle, on auto.

So if I set the flash on auto mode ( at the 5-15 feel green mark at the back), and set the aprture as per the flash guide; will that provide the correct amount of light.

Now, if I tilt the head upwards to the ceiling, will I still get the correct exposure?

I suppose what I am wondering is, since the flash will be much closer to the subject compared to the camera; and at an angle to the camera , and possibly bounce; will the auto system work ok.

The best way to use flash with film is to use a light meter, that way you will 95% sure you'll have the correct exposure.

That's what I do whenever I'm shooting film and flash

Less stress on you and wasting film to be fair

Come on...try digi? what for :LOL:

I agree that a flash meter will be the best way. But, in the film days, there must have been a mb rule, some short cut methed.

Or does the Auto mode ( the one that uses thyristor) only work when the flash is mounted on the camera and the flash is pointed towards the subject ( i.e no bounce)

I use it to nail the exposure then shoot film, its like a light meter but better

erm you can work out distances vs guide numbers and apertures, BUT you need to account for modifiers (brolly, wall, zoom on head ect) all of which change the way the light behaves

tbh I do it by ear (as I'm used to it fairly well now) then shoot a digi frame and tweak from there

my issue with meters is I get confuddled with tones, I might want that bit lighter or darker and that messes my head up on a meter :D

Back