A question thats been puzzling me for a while now

StewartR has made a very good point re: motorists. He's quite right that the definition of motorist for most is someone who travels by car. However there's also another level of people who do the same thing but are called "drivers", and the difference is a motorist sees driving as a chore, something they need to do to complete a task. A driver on the other hand is someone who enjoys driving no matter where it's too and often (but not always) tends to have higher skill than a motorist.

So maybe we should have a different term in photography too, such as photographers which covers almost everyone these days, and toggers (as an example) for those of us who enjoy to whole experience and don't just see it as a means to capture an image. I know a lot of people on here use togs and toggers already, but maybe it needs to be a bit more widespread.

It's subjective. You can argue that anyone who takes a photograph is a photographer at that point, or apply a narrower definition if you want to. I'm not sure I agree with the 'motorist' and 'driver' analogy though. For me, 'the driver' is the person driving the vehicle, but 'a driver' might well refer to someone who does it for a living (taxi, lorry, bus etc) whether they enjoy it or not.

when does bread become toast?

I mean what if it's toasted on one side and not the other? ........... is it broast or tread?

It's when you put black borders around your photographs and sign them with "Lucinda Delia-Smythe-Tomkinson-Parker Photography". That's the mark of a pro. Put them on a your own website with cheesy music, buggy flash animations that take ages to load, and then you're a superstar ultra-elite-pro!

You're semi-pro when you simply sign the images.

You're amateur when you watermark the images.

None of the above ... and you're just a guy with a camera, who isn't also a complete tool :).

Last edited:
Back