A quick guide to starting commercial drone operations

Edit My Images
No
p2396490675-6.jpg

I have recently obtained permission to operate as a commercial drone pilot from the CAA. When I was researching the process earlier in the year it was a bit difficult getting accurate costs, finding how long it actually takes etc.

I have written a couple of pages on my blog with timings and costings to help out anyone else who is thinking of obtaining permission.

http://www.andrewhatfield.co.uk/blo...guide-to-starting-commercial-drone-operations

Last edited:
Looks good. I wonder how close to the 'commercial licence' will be to the proposed 'hobbyist licence'.

I'm having to go through this for work, recently passing the theory exam. Have to say the theory part has really killed my enthusiasm, I've happily flown within the law as a hobbyist but there seems to be a ridiculous amount of bureaucracy involved in using them for commercial purposes. With the nature of my job filming is often last minute and unexpected, the rigmarole of risk assessments, prior permissions and safety briefings just kills the spontaneity, and there's barely time as a one man department to film and edit let alone do all the paperwork and planning involved. My work's Ops Manual states that I'd have to call 5 agencies providing a grid reference before taking off - tortuous. End of rant!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wd
Thank you for posting this.

This is something I am seriously looking into and found your info very helpful.

Very nice pic too, by the way.

Just incase someone is interested. I did mine through the Aerial Academy. They have a few training facilities dotted throughout the UK and the Operations Manual Service cost is included in the £1100 or so for the course. Might save you £300 odd.

Just incase someone is interested. I did mine through the Aerial Academy. They have a few training facilities dotted throughout the UK and the Operations Manual Service cost is included in the £1100 or so for the course. Might save you £300 odd.
and no, I don't work for them on commission! :D

Back