A quick review of the Gitzo Gimbal Fluid Head (with pictures).

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I received my new GHFG1 yesterday from Adorama (that was quick!) and I spent some time going over it.
But first a little background. I started shooting with big lenses way back before gimbal heads were introduced to photography, or at least they were not common. And I used to use a large/heavy video fluid head then. Since then I've owned/used various gimbal heads (Wimberley, Benro, ProMediaGear, etc) over the years. And for the last several years I have abandoned them altogether and have been using a leveling pan/tilt head instead. I've often wanted to go back to a fluid head but there wasn't an option I could justify... video heads up to the task are big/heavy/expensive. RRS makes a fluid gimbal that I highly suspect is better, but it costs 3x as much as this head.
The reason I wanted a fluid head is because a little bit of resistance goes a long way towards eliminating wobbles and camera shake ensuring smoother movements/tracking and sharper images. Part of the reason I quit using gimbal heads as none of them had very good drag systems. And then this thing shows up on the market and at a very reasonable price! My main concerns were that there weren't any good reviews and everything I saw had smaller kit mounted. It's only rated to 17.64 lbs and the camera/lens combination I primarily use weighs right at 15lbs. My general rule of thumb for tripods/heads is that they should be rated for at least 2x what you're going to put on it if you want any real stability/reliability. Having taken this thing completely apart, I am quite confident the noted limit is for optimum performance and not structural.

Here's a stock image as I didn't take any "overview" pictures.

1.jpg

The first thing I noticed was that it's big/chunky. I don't really care because it doesn't weigh a lot, it's just under 3lbs/1.4kg, just slightly less than the Wimberley WH-200 and most other comparables. The knobs are nice and large with rubberized grips, both are big pluses in cold weather.

When it was delivered it was quite cold, it was right about freezing out and I guess the truck wasn't heated. Right away I mounted it on my tripod and I noticed the drag levels seemed quite high, more on that later. The next thing I did was check for play/function of the various bits.
One thing I always do is check to see if the knobs are captive or if they might be prone to working loose and falling off. Especially with something like this where the knobs will generally be left loose. The knobs are captive, or rather I believe they are meant to be... the tilt knob came off. The knobs also have a lot of range that is useless, they go from completely off to "locked" in about 1/2 turn. The other knobs are of the spring indexed type where the knob can be repositioned.

_DSC5097.jpg

In the end I put a tiny bit of lightweight loctite on the retaining screw (the blurry part with GITZO on it) and put it back together...problem solved. But when it came off I found my first discovery... this head uses proper "finned" type fluid (grease) cartridges top and bottom... at this price I wasn't sure it would. This isn't the only way to make a fluid head, but it's a common way found on many more expensive video heads.

_DSC5122.jpg

The specs for the head states that the tilt azimuth has "fluid cartridge with fixed drag," but I wouldn't quite agree with that. The way the tilt locking knob functions is by pulling these two components together until the swing arm binds against the fiber washer. When you compress the grease into a smaller area it increases the resistance somewhat. But the range of adjustment is quite small. With the locking knob full loose these parts are the farthest apart. They're still close enough to be "sealed" I would say, but that allows a bit more room for the grease to move around in. And since it's the grease that keeps those concentric fins separated/centered, that leads to a slight amount of lateral give to the swingarm... I do *not* think it's really anything to be concerned with.

Once it was back together I mounted my camera/lens on it and centered it's CG at the pivot point. It's a D5 and 400/2.8. and the lens has a low foot with integrated arca swiss groves. I found that the safety pin in the clamp interfered with my lens foot and needed to be removed. Both the setup and pin issue are well described in the manual... and that's all that is explained. It also warns that there is no safety with the pin removed, but my lens foot has the safety stops at either end so it's a non-issue.

I then went to mount the pan bar out of curiosity. This is when I realized that the mounting knob for the pan bar has very limited travel unless the cradle is fully lowered... the indexing capability helps, but not enough IMO. With this particular camera/lens combination the bar isn't any farther out than the camera body is. It's only about 11" max (it can be set a bit shorter). With the low foot on the lens the arm barely clears the camera body, and if angled upwards it contacts the camera body. The length and angle of pan bar are personal preference, but a longer arm provides for finer/smoother control. None of this much matters to me as I bought this for photography, not video. But if I were going to use this for video with this kind of combination I would want a longer bar and probably more clearance.

_DSC5102.jpg

The specifications for the pan axis sates that it has "1 step plus variable PTFE friction". In this case it's true. The pan locking knob simply pushes a small aluminum block against the outside of the base... this is not a very smooth friction for adding dampening, and it's not intended to be. But it's also "open" to getting grit in there... IMO, that's a potential problem. You can see the block in this picture.

_DSC5110.jpg

more to follow (maxed out the images)

Last edited:
I also found exposed grease in areas that will only collect grit over time. I found it inside the mounting screw hole and on the sliding shafts of the clamp.

_DSC5126.jpg
_DSC5130.jpg

A little bit of cleanup and it should be fine.

Now to revisit the cold dampening issue... on playing with the head while it was cold I think something internal came loose as most of the panning fluid dampening disappeared and I was hearing a light grinding noise kind of like that made by ball bearings. So today I put the head in the freezer for an hour and checked the change in resistance (grease viscosity) on the tilt azimuth. when it was warm the resistance was barely measurable on this cheap spring scale.

_DSC5117.jpg

But when cold it went up to over half a pound.

_DSC5106.jpg

And that's only at freezing (32f/0c)... the head is rated for down to 14f/-10c. But I expect an even more significant difference at the minimum temp. This may be the biggest issue for this head... there are essentially no adjustments for the viscous drag, and I've been out taking pics in temps below 14*f before. One thing to note though, the grease can be kept warm or loosened by working it (friction).

more to come...

Last edited:
And that brings me to the panning mechanism... as I said, something must have come loose due to the cold temperature of the head. Time to explore some more.

Under the panning cap there is a screw for setting the PTFE friction noted in the specs. There is nothing in the manual about this.

_DSC5131.jpg

Under this screw is a couple of washers and a thrust bearing.

_DSC5123.jpg

Under the black aluminum part is a large thrust bearing, and then a bit farther down there are a pair of wave washers in between PTFE washers. What this screw does is pull all of those things together which flattens the wave washers between the PTFE washers. There is no adjustment for the spacing of the two halves of the fluid cartridge, so unlike the tilt axis the fluid drag really is fixed. This is the "1 step plus variable PTFE friction" I noted from the specs earlier. This friction adjustment also affects the break away force required for the "whip-pan" function.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the insides as I got pretty greasy from here on.

What I found inside is another fluid cartridge, but unlike the tilt cartridge this one is not fixed. If the resistance becomes too high the assembly breaks free and the panning motion is born solely on the large thrust bearing inside... so what I was hearing earlier was indeed bearings. I found that the resistance in the fluid cartridge seemed very high and no matter how I reassembled things I wasn't getting any fluid dampening, just the bearings. So I cleaned out the fluid cartridge and repacked it with silicon grease until I got a very firm resistance when reassembled. I put it back in the freezer for a few hours to ensure the grease I used would be suitable and now everything seems fine.

I should note that it's probably better to get a replacement if you encounter such an issue ;). But if cold temps can cause internals to come loose (there was no thread lock used anywhere) or the grease to gum up and become problematic, this could be an issue waiting to show up years from now. On the other hand, it's pretty easy to service once you figure out how all the parts are held together... maybe repacking it with a different/lighter grease would allow it to function better in colder temps.

Initially after it malfunctioned I was going to return it... a lot of the little things were just a bit disappointing in terms of QC, I expect more from Gitzo products (even if it's Manfrotto now). But now I'm pretty happy with it so I think I'll be keeping it... it does what I wanted, now we'll see what long term use shows up.

Last edited:
Thanks for this Steven, a man after my own heart :D

Just for clarity really, would you recommend this gimbal (assuming Gitzo gets on top of what appear to be early QC issues)? Why is it better than say a Wimberley? Are you planning for this to replace your 'leveling pan/tilt head' which I assume is the UniqBall? What's the main reason for that?

Cheers :)

Yes, I think I would recommend this. I've always longed for fluid dampened since I quit using video heads. Most who use unlocked gimbals don't realize how many small inadvertent movements get transmitted through the camera, damping really helps. I tried increasing the friction drag on the various gimbal heads but it was never entirely smooth and always involved a "jerk start," that's part of why I quit using them. So in that sense I would say it's better than every other gimbal I've ever used. Although the Katana was close, and I strongly suspect that the RRS fluid gimbal is better. Plus this is cheaper than a Wimberley.

The other part of my reason for giving up on gimbals and going with the UniqBall is because I didn't want a dedicated tripod/head or to carry multiple heads. But I've come to the realization that the only thing I use my RRS legs for is the really big stuff. The other times I use a tripod it's either smaller/lighter because I'm putting less on it (my other RRS and Benro) and traveling, or it's an articulated type of tripod (my Benro and Benbo). Plus the UniqBall is also a little bit of a compromise... when you spend a lot of time waiting you don't want to have to be hands on all the time, and you don't really want to suddenly have to adjust the friction/lock when something suddenly happens (but "in use" it's a non-issue).

Will this be perfect? I highly doubt it... nothing is.

Last edited:
Thanks (y)

I'm thinking I will repack the tilt fluid cartridge with the same silicon grease I repacked the pan cartridge with... The stuff I used is called magic lube II by aladdin and is rated for 0-425*f, and my freezer test shows significantly less difference in temp resistance/drag compared to whatever is in it from the factory which is rated 14-122*f.
What you definitely don't want is something that will liquify and leak out at temps encountered in an enclosed vehicle (100*f +) or something that will bind up at cold temps likely to be encountered.

Update: I repacked the tilt pivot with the Magic Lube II silicon grease. It functions about the same, just a bit less fluid drag (it measures very close to what the pan drag is now, but it feels slightly heavier). I then put it in our chest freezer which is at -4f/-20c. After a bit over an hour I took it out and tested if it would function, it works fine. In fact, the increase in drag is a bit less than it was with the original grease at 32f/0c! (as measured w/ crappy spring scale)

FWIW, I don't think this is something I would necessarily recommend doing. They chose the grease they used for some reason. By replacing it with a slightly less viscous grease I may have compromised the load handling or something... but I can't find any issue at room temp or -4f with my 15lb camera/lens combo. Maybe something will show up when it gets really hot (like after being left in the car in the summer). Plus, by doing all of the disassembly and changing the grease I have almost certainly voided the warranty.

But it is nice to know that it can be modified for really cold temps cheaply and relatively easily. And I'm much more likely to go out in below freezing temps than I am going to be in 100f/37c+ degree weather (I hate heat/humidity)... it's still winter here.

Now I am very happy with this head (for now). Enough so that I am adapting my big RRS tripod over to a 75mm bowl and half ball setup for dedicated use.

Last edited:
Cheers Steven. Your review and teardown is very thorough.

I had a full day in the field with mine today and achieved the highest rate of sharp birds-in-flight (Short-eared Owls) I have ever had. I find this Gitzo Gimbal Fluid Head rock steady and tracking birds in flight is so much smoother and easier with what I think is the perfect amount of resistance derived from the fluid components.

I swopped gimbal heads with a friend for a bit today (his is a Sirui PH-20) and he went home saying he is ordering one tonight! Later we bumped into another wildlife photographer friend of mine with a Lensman gimbal, I let him have a go and he said he was ordering one too! Gitzo should give me commission!

What experienced gimbal users seem to like is the lack of looseness and that the whole tripod rig is given the effect of feeling noticeably more solid < Whether it is or not, I don't know. I think it's the damping which does that.

I started off the day with my 1.4x Extender mounted on the 500mm and so it was still balanced for that combo from the day before. However, I urgently needed more reach on a Hawfinch and swopped to my 2x Extender as quickly as possible. After the shot I stepped back and noticed that the camera very slowly and gently tilted a few degrees. I wondered why but then realised that the 2x is much heavier than the 1.4x. But my point is that if I had been using a 'conventional' non-fluid gimbal the need to rebalance would have been far more urgent.

Cheers Steven. Your review and teardown is very thorough.

I had a full day in the field with mine today and achieved the highest rate of sharp birds-in-flight (Short-eared Owls) I have ever had. I find this Gitzo Gimbal Fluid Head rock steady and tracking birds in flight is so much smoother and easier with what I think is the perfect amount of resistance derived from the fluid components.
I've been saying forever that a gimbal head shouldn't be used completely loose and needs some drag applied... the problem is that the friction drag on most of them is abrupt/uneven or otherwise hard/problematic to use. People don't realize how much erratic movement is transmitted through a loose gimbal head (or any other). And panning on a tripod does not impart the same level of stability that it does when done freehand (and with good technique), for some reason people don't understand that either... and they usually don't believe me.

I've been saying forever that a gimbal head shouldn't be used completely loose and needs some drag applied... the problem is that the friction drag on most of them is abrupt/uneven or otherwise hard/problematic to use. People don't realize how much erratic movement is transmitted through a loose gimbal head (or any other). And panning on a tripod does not impart the same level of stability that it does when done freehand (and with good technique), for some reason people don't understand that either... and they usually don't believe me.

Firstly thanks for that great detailed/tear-down/review - lots of useful insights and information there!

I am interested in your thoughts/experiences of using Gimbal heads "loose" and the instability that you find. As you know I use the Wimberley 2 and you can (just about) get even friction in panning and tilt with it but it is quite a faff! With my Wimberley and a friend's Jobu I have always preferred free movement on the head - this is why this Gitzo intrigued me as it seemed counter intuitive from my uses. Having said that nothing is set in stone so I am now even more eager to see how one of these would perform for me.

Thanks again for taking the trouble investigate this head so thoroughly.

With my Wimberley and a friend's Jobu I have always preferred free movement on the head - this is why this Gitzo intrigued me as it seemed counter intuitive from my uses. Having said that nothing is set in stone so I am now even more eager to see how one of these would perform for me.

....I think that in considering whether to buy the Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head or not, you have to try one out < A test drive. The bottom line is that the tool you feel most comfortable using is the right one for you to exploit/explore your capabilities.

....I think that in considering whether to buy the Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head or not, you have to try one out < A test drive. The bottom line is that the tool you feel most comfortable using is the right one for you to exploit/explore your capabilities.

Exactly my thoughts, but this head is a bit different to the normal Gimbals! Whilst I am very happy with my current head - this one looks intriguing so I just must give one a try:)

And panning on a tripod does not impart the same level of stability that it does when done freehand (and with good technique), for some reason people don't understand that either... and they usually don't believe me.

....I'm guessing that handheld 'stability' when panning well brings into play the 'fluidity'/'damping' from our muscles.

....I'm guessing that handheld 'stability' when panning well brings into play the 'fluidity'/'damping' from our muscles.
My take is that you're controlling the front of the lens when handholding and controling the body when panning on a tripod. The pivot point is typically nearer to the body when used on a tripod so movement/shake/position error is exagerated at the end of the lens.

Well, it mostly comes from inertia, when handheld panning done "correctly" the camera is moving as a unit and builds inertia to stabilize the unit. And the motion isn't imparted directly to the camera as such, it is imparted to the camera primarily from twisting at the waist and the camera "swings" along together... it's more akin to the camera being mounted on a camera dolly, if that makes sense.

On a tripod the panning motion is imparted directly to the camera body (if you use a pan bar the motion is imparted to the lens foot, not a whole lot more stable). And the direction of motion between the lens and camera body counter each other so it doesn't get the same kind of inertial stability... and no, it is not spinning fast enough to have rotational stability/inertia. Because you are essentially only moving ~1/2 the mass in a given direction and the other half in the opposite direction, there is much less resistance to acceleration/deceleration (judder/shake).
In addition, in order to see through the camera while panning you have to move your body/head horizontally, which is harder to do smoothly than it is to just rotate... which is part of why professional video work is done using large monitors instead of camera viewfinders.

An iPhone snap of it in real-world use....

I find the that mounting on a levelling base is invaluable but some photographers prefer to make individual leg adjustments or even loosen the lens foot collar (which kind of contradicts the benefits of a tripod).

Gitzo%20gimbal_0718.jpg

I find the that mounting on a leveling base is invaluable...
I'm of mixed opinion on leveling bases (video bowls). They raise the CG above the apex which reduces stability a bit, and they limit how low the tripod can be used. But the extra height might mean that the legs aren't extended quite as far which will return some stability/rigidity. The leveling bases that go between the head and platform raise the CG even higher and aren's typically rated for much weight.
Level isn't all that important unless the composition is tight. But if it's not level a large change in azimuth (pan) will cause the frame to rotate.
IMO, having the tripod collar unlocked isn't a problem if you are only using the tripod/head for weight support (i.e. completely loose). In that case you are going to need to use higher SS/VR anyway...

My choice is for the lowest profile video half ball I can get. This is the one I'm putting on my tripod.

Last edited:
or even loosen the lens foot collar

You tighten yours? Mine are always loose - just too inconvenient when locked and I find no advantage when it is locked. Just my observations.

You tighten yours? Mine are always loose - just too inconvenient when locked and I find no advantage when it is locked. Just my observations.

....My default setup is to always have my lens collar tight < Which proves that we all have our individual preferences about how we shoot.

I find that every time I loosen mine and then leave it loose, the next shot feels like I'm shooting on a ballhead set without any friction/resistance. I then don't see any point in carrying a tripod around in the field rather than my monopod. In fact, even my monopod setup is better suited to me and more stable than that because of its one-way RRS Tilt head and Gitzo swivel(pan) foot, plus it's lighter. Horses-for-Courses.

Also, if I leave the lens collar loose and pick up my whole rig to shoulder and move shooting position, it's flopping about all over the place.

I think that a 'leave-lens-collar-loose' default setup is going to negate some of the valuable benefits of the Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head. But each to their own as they say.

Do we need fluid-damped lens collars now?!
Probably depends on who you ask and how it's being used. I tend to agree w/ Robin in that the lens collar should be tightened if you want stability.

I suppose one way to think of all of it is in terms of video. If the motions/actions are not smooth enough for video with slow SS's (i.e. 1/125), then those vibrations/movements have to be compensated for with higher SS's for photography (it's actually worse than that because video can hide a lot).

You tighten yours?
Almost always...
I think that a 'leave-lens-collar-loose' default setup is going to negate some of the valuable benefits of the Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head.
Leaving it loose negates some benefit of any support system... But it kind of depends on why you're using it to start with. Sometimes I want to use a tripod just to hold the camera ready during long waiting periods.

I've no interest in buying one of these, but what an excellent product writeup, I enjoyed reading that.

Robin, by "Gitzo swivel(pan) foot" do you mean the standard Gitzo foot, or something like this Manfrotto fluid base? https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/fluidtech-base-for-xpro-monopod

....It is now the standard Gitzo monopod foot. That Manfrotto base you posted is tedious - I have used one of their monopod kit with their fluid head - very heavy and cumbersome for a monopod but a good concept and probably alright for video.

Gitzo Big Foot : https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/gitzo-big-foot-50mm-1-piece

@sk66 Steven, I spent some time today with a professional wildlife photographer who has recently returned from leading a party in Canada where temperatures were as low as -36C and the Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head was having no problems. Camera body shutters were making unfamiliar noises though!

In view of your very logical and valid concerns about temperature effects I think this information is very reassuring.

Thanks Robin and Steven for your thoughts on the lens collar being loose/tight. We seem to have very different experiences on stability - still that is how we learn!
Mostly I use the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS which has a far better lens collar than any lens that I have tried/owned as it has a much wider bearing (contact) area - still I will give it a go locked and see what happens. I won't use it this way for long as it will slow me too much when changing from landscape to portrait mode, but I am interested to see if it can help stability - even if only in theory.

Perhaps I am lucky but I don't seem to have stability problems with my 800mm so long as I stay at 1/250 sec or faster hand held or 1/80 sec on a tripod (maybe a bit less - haven't tried). Naturally this is without IS.

Thanks for the posts - very informative!

Thanks Robin and Steven for your thoughts on the lens collar being loose/tight. We seem to have very different experiences on stability - still that is how we learn!
Mostly I use the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS which has a far better lens collar than any lens that I have tried/owned as it has a much wider bearing (contact) area - still I will give it a go locked and see what happens. I won't use it this way for long as it will slow me too much when changing from landscape to portrait mode, but I am interested to see if it can help stability - even if only in theory.

....Your own setup shows that perhaps there is no right or wrong way but rather that what works best for you individually is right. Anything which helps you achieve your vision for the final image is the right way.

My Canon 500mm F/4L II has click stops in the lens collar so that you can loosen and click to and from landscape to portrait format. I think that my 100-400mm L II might do so too but have forgotten and it's not to hand right now. The other day I loosened the lens collar enough to click into portrait, shot, and then quickly clicked back to landscape and shot. Action over, I forgot to retighten the lens collar and unintentionally moved off level landscape on my next shot until I tightened again. Handling a lens with a loose collar on and off a tripod/monopod is not something I want to do either. So it's always going to be tight for me except temporarily to change format.

While shooting, having everything tight plus some damping to absorb movement can only help achieve sharp images in my view.

@sk66 Steven, I spent some time today with a professional wildlife photographer who has recently returned from leading a party in Canada where temperatures were as low as -36C and the Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head was having no problems. Camera body shutters were making unfamiliar noises though!

In view of your very logical and valid concerns about temperature effects I think this information is very reassuring.
Just returned? I wonder if it was a pre-release version serviced for the trip...
I can't imagine why they would specify the minimum operating temp as 14f/10c if it will operate fine so much colder.

Perhaps I am lucky but I don't seem to have stability problems with my 800mm so long as I stay at 1/250 sec or faster hand held or 1/80 sec on a tripod (maybe a bit less - haven't tried). Naturally this is without IS.

Thanks for the posts - very informative!
1/250 at 800mm handheld, and 1/80 on an unlocked tripod/lens collar? Well, I can't get consistent results like that...

1/250 at 800mm handheld, and 1/80 on an unlocked tripod/lens collar? Well, I can't get consistent results like that...

Nobody can. Marginal even with IS.

Just returned? I wonder if it was a pre-release version serviced for the trip...
I can't imagine why they would specify the minimum operating temp as 14f/10c if it will operate fine so much colder.

....Probably the same reasons they say what their payloads are < Already discussed previously (probably in my Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head thread rather than yours here). We all know that manufacturers (the better ones!) are very pessimistic in such information whether we think they should be or not.

No, my understanding is that there was no "pre-release version" specially serviced for the trip. Why on earth would Gitzo do such a thing!? Surely it would be pointless. The final product has started manufacture for some time but only gradually released to retailers. I know a retailer who has 5 on the shelf available to buy now. Most others are taking orders and expect deliveries in February < For example, specifically 12th February for a friend who has paid for one here in the UK.

When and where did you acquire yours?

Correct me if I am wrong but your whole approach is beginning to sound as if you have an agenda to find fault regardless.

We all know that manufacturers (the better ones!) are very pessimistic in such information whether we think they should be or not.
If the numbers were a bit closer together it would make sense to me... like if they rated it for freezing or just below, but 14f is well above freezing and waaay apart from -36c

No, my understanding is that there was no "pre-release version" specially serviced for the trip. Why on earth would Gitzo do such a thing!?
For the same reasons camera manufacturers will remove grease/lubricant from shutter/aperture mechanisms for gear going to such climates... to me it just makes sense. Now, if it was a field test then leaving it serviced as normal makes sense, but then I would think the results would impact the claimed performance. What doesn't make any sense to me is "leading a party" and relying on new gear that isn't known to work (and shouldn't) w/o some other reason.
Or maybe the numbers they quote (14-122f) are completely arbitrary since they exceed the claimed operating range for most (all?) cameras anyway...

TBF, I did not test the original grease below ~32*f, so I don't know how much it would have congealed at -4f/-20c, not to mention -36... I just have to presume it would have been notably "more." Also, as I noted originally, if you do not allow it to get cold soaked and you work the fluid regularly you can prevent it from congealing to the same extent. What I am almost positive about is that the drag increase I noted is due entirely to the type/grade of grease used and not due to assembly/servicing.

I bought mine from Adorama (USA) early last week.

Correct me if I am wrong but your whole approach is beginning to sound as if you have an agenda to find fault regardless.
Not at all... I'm quite hoping this succeeds and does well. That's why I contacted them and described my experience/findings in full detail.

Last edited:
Nobody can. Marginal even with IS.

That's what the Canon rep told me down at Carmarthen Cameras on their last Canon Open Day. Unfortunately I did not have my gear with me so we had to make do with a 500 F4 Mk2 and a 5D4 (very nice light combo!). Despite his scepticism within 2 minutes I had him taking sharper shots at 1/160 without IS than with it on - he was a little surprised to say the least! He also commented how much quicker the AF locked and tracked better on the cars moving in front of the shop - but that is to be expected without a wobbly element interfering with the AF.
Hand holding SuperTeles at relatively low shutter speeds is easy - well until you collapse under the weight:)
What is MUCH harder, for me, is hand holding long light lenses! Big heavy lenses naturally damp down the micro vibrations that IS (VR/OS etc) is designed to overcome so IS is of limited use. On the other hand a lens, like my 100-400 Mk2, is very hard to hand hold at lowish shutter speeds without IS - I struggle at or below 1/400 sec with this lens at full extension, yet 1/250 sec gives a very high hit rate with my Canon 800mm !?! It is not just the focal length that determines shutter speeds - the handling/balance/weight of the camera + lens combination is more important in my experience.
If you ever get down to South Wales PM me and you can have a play with my camera gear - perhaps I can show you what I am getting at? Maybe get some nice Kingfisher shots if it's the right time of year......

All the best.

Well, I've contacted Gitzo (Manfrotto) and confessed to voiding the warranty detailing my experience/findings... we'll see what they do with the information.
That's excellent. I have sometimes provided unsolicited feedback on design and quality aspects of products I have purchased (not photography related), and it is interesting to experience the wide range of responses from the manufacturers.

If the numbers were a bit closer together it would make sense to me... like if they rated it for freezing or just below, but 14f is well above freezing and waaay apart from -36c

14 degrees fahrenheit is 18 degrees fahrenheit below freezing. That's about 9-10 degrees Celsius below freezing. But not -36C, for sure.

That's what the Canon rep told me down at Carmarthen Cameras on their last Canon Open Day. Unfortunately I did not have my gear with me so we had to make do with a 500 F4 Mk2 and a 5D4 (very nice light combo!). Despite his scepticism within 2 minutes I had him taking sharper shots at 1/160 without IS than with it on - he was a little surprised to say the least! He also commented how much quicker the AF locked and tracked better on the cars moving in front of the shop - but that is to be expected without a wobbly element interfering with the AF.
Hand holding SuperTeles at relatively low shutter speeds is easy - well until you collapse under the weight:)
What is MUCH harder, for me, is hand holding long light lenses! Big heavy lenses naturally damp down the micro vibrations that IS (VR/OS etc) is designed to overcome so IS is of limited use. On the other hand a lens, like my 100-400 Mk2, is very hard to hand hold at lowish shutter speeds without IS - I struggle at or below 1/400 sec with this lens at full extension, yet 1/250 sec gives a very high hit rate with my Canon 800mm !?! It is not just the focal length that determines shutter speeds - the handling/balance/weight of the camera + lens combination is more important in my experience.
If you ever get down to South Wales PM me and you can have a play with my camera gear - perhaps I can show you what I am getting at? Maybe get some nice Kingfisher shots if it's the right time of year......

All the best.

Just you and Superman then John. I've used a Canon 800L and there's no way on earth I would even attempt it without a monopod.

The benefits of image stabilisation are undisputed at shutter speeds longer than 1/500sec (the system's operating frequency, allegedly) but I've never seen any credible evidence of it being detrimental at higher speeds either. A lot of long lens users turn it off because they're using a monopod or tripod so it's unnecessary, and it uses a lot of battery power if active over the whole of a football match say. In theory, having (in-lens) stabilisation should help AF by steadying the image; it certainly makes framing easier by stabilising the viewfinder.

The benefits of image stabilisation are undisputed at shutter speeds longer than 1/500sec (the system's operating frequency, allegedly) but I've never seen any credible evidence of it being detrimental at higher speeds either. A lot of long lens users turn it off because they're using a monopod or tripod so it's unnecessary, and it uses a lot of battery power if active over the whole of a football match say. In theory, having (in-lens) stabilisation should help AF by steadying the image; it certainly makes framing easier by stabilising the viewfinder.

....Making framing easier and better seeing and tracking a moving target through the viewfinder is exactly why I leave my IS on, I have tried switching it off occasionally and don't like it.

The combination of a solid head with damping (this Gitzo) and IS, gives confidence and having confidence helps nail the action shots. I'm impatient for the light and winds to improve so I can get outdoors and play some more with my Gitzo Fluid Gimbal, especially for in flight shots.

Shot on Canon D-SLR mounted on Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head. Substantially enlarged....

^ On my Flickr page.

Last edited:
(y) Another fine snap RR :)

You're a great example of someone who came into this quite recently and fairly inexperienced I think, got some good gear and then - and this is the critical part - threw yourself into it with passion and determination, with great results. I'm envious of your Flickr - maybe one day :D

Back