A rant about the Union Flag

Because many people don't know there is a right and wrong way ;)

Perhaps you should suggest an amendment to the flag, an arrow and the words "This Way Up" in the centre?

Maybe, now that the Union Flag has been reclaimed by the masses rather than being seen as an extremist emblem, it is time to educate those who wish to fly it!

Start teaching the correct way in schools for the young 'uns and on daytime TV for the oldies!

Quite apt really seing as this country has gone Tits up :D

One step at a time for dumbed-down Britain.......'Union Flag' is only slowly replacing 'Union Jack' in the red mast readers brain-cell :)

Unfortunately, the problem starts with the manufacturers. The classic was the flags for Charles & Diana's wedding. The flag had their picture in the middle with the flag upside down.

A lot of flags used for the Diamond Jubilee were purchased for the event already mounted. The user probably had no idea.

Having said that, there did seem to be a better proportion up the right way than seen on other events.

Ken

They eat banana's upside down in Poland:D

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially.

I don't really give a mokeys if it's upside down or not :)

In 1975 as an 18 year old i whent on my first holliday abroad to corfu a guy we met on holliday from london caused a great deal of amusement when he made at complaint to the hotel management that the union jack was upside down . The manager said sorry to everyone and sent his staff out to change the flag . I at the time did'nt have a cluw as to which way the flag should be but it's a story thats stuck with me ever since .

Even Downing Street get it wrong sometimes

_45439450_flag_signing_pa.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7866938.stm

Back